1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you pre-ordering?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by EgonSpengler, Aug 19, 2016.

?

Preorder?

Poll closed Oct 18, 2016.
  1. Yes, I have or will preorder the game.

386 vote(s)
    68.7%
  2. No, I'm going to wait and see.

176 vote(s)
    31.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m15a

m15a Emperor

Haven't decided yet. Probably yes if I know it'll work on my current computer and I can still find a good deal after I find that out.

If I need a new computer, all sorts of practical considerations come into play, so probably not.

2. Dearmad

Dearmad Dead weight

DId it because want game. And got more than 20% off the price for the preorder.

3. Ricci

Ricci Prince

"You are going to pay in advance without knowing exactly what you are getting in exchange, under her deck??? I have no time for such nonsense."
    D.R.

4. Balkans

Balkans Warlord

Probably a few days before release i will purchase the game. If i have the money at the time.

5. JimmyBanks

JimmyBanks Warlord

Gonna be preordering. Haven't come up with a good reason not too... but if Firaxis don't hurry up and post the video of yesterdays livestream that I missed I might get a reason. Australians who didn't wake up at 4am shouldn't be punished because they stuffed up.

6. m15a

m15a Emperor

With all this speculation of how civ choices affect sales, I'd be shocked and amused to hear that Civ VI lost a sale by not posting the replay of a random fairly uninformative live stream. :)

7. JimmyBanks

JimmyBanks Warlord

Hahahaha!!! Well I don't know that it was uninformative if you exclude the leaked information. I haven't watched it so I can't come to that conclusion...

8. Cephme

Cephme Chieftain

It was not very informative at all other than the oops which you can see a screen cap of on that thread. The only other thing that was of interest was that Freddy doesn't like civs that have control over city states (either as leading envoy race, suzerain, or conquerer), and that the promotions for unit are kind of in a tree as well so if you take Battle Cry as your first one (for that type of unit) you can take tortise or Commando as the second etc. Was really a quick shot and they did not discuss it much as they were flustered after the ooops. http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civ6_units.html

The only really loss is not hearing the music which was great. The "percussion" almost koto drum section was particularly cool.

9. isau

isau Deity

I want this game in my hands at 12:01 AM Oct 21. Yes I pre-ordered.

10. Gintoki89

Gintoki89 Warlord

I'm gonna preorder, but since it's not like a physical preorder and they charge you when you order, not when it's released, I'll hold off until closer to release.

11. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Thanks! Will not work for me as basic price on Steam in Russia is already lower. So, waiting for some local promos...

12. salty mud

salty mud Ey-up

Being a civ fanatic is no reason to suspend all logic and pre-order something, a practice that has zero benefits whatsoever. All it does is encourage further stripping of game components by game developers to sell as future DLC and also sends the message that anything developers make will be fine, they can just patch it in time. Both of these are highly destructive to the video game industry.

Regards.

13. Gangrin

Gangrin Warlord

I did preorder despite my normal aversion to such things for three reasons:
    1) I see what i pay for from let's plays and i am impressed
    2) Sooner or later I will buy all DLCs anyways, so why not do this with promised discount
    3) Who knows what stupid stunt my dear government could make to plunge currency exchange rate even further so better buy a game while i still can

14. Haggbart

Haggbart King

I already know what features are in the game, I don't feel that any game components are stripped of.

Also I want to be able to play on day 1, I want the pre-order bonus and €60 isn't much money really. All experiece show that I will put 1000+ hours in this game, so there is not much of risk, is it? If it takes a couple of patches to get it right, I guess I'm willing to take that risk, it's a stretch to call it "suspend all logic".

You can say what you want about "the industry", but the fact of the matter is I payed more than €60 years age on games that were unbelievable bad to the MegaDrive and NES, or games to the PC that will never get fixed (Vampires: The Masquerade). So don't pretend bad games or buggy games is a new matter. There might be more incentives to ship a buggy game now with the possibility of patches, but also games are much more complex nowdays, so in part it is understandable.

Pre-orders aren't particular to the game industry. I have friends who forked out more than €1k to pre order the new Tesla that they will probably get in 2018, even if they've never even seen the finished product. Companies with a good reputation can do that, however they wage their reputation on the finished product.

15. racha

racha Warlord

I would, but I got burnt by pre-ordering BE so I'll probably wait until the winter sales. Based on what we know so far, I'm definitely looking forward to it.

16. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Deity

Shut up and take my money

17. Big J Money

Big J Money Emperor

I'll preorder day before or same day to get Aztecs. Not playing these publisher games where I preorder early because of the carrot.

Honestly, if I don't have Aztecs in first 90 days, it's not a big deal. Civ V has lasted me years.

18. Miravlix

Miravlix King

I feel it's wrong to charge people money before shipping a product.

My native country actually has law against doing that, though I have no idea if digital stuff can somehow claim to never be shipped or some other workaround.

Otherwise I see no problem with pre-ordering and will pre-order books and other stuff too.

Does a steam pre-order mean that Steam hold the money and earn interest? That would make it even creeper system.

I once pre-ordered a game and then the added another better pre-order deal at the same shop, but I was still stuck on the old pre-order, so even while I don't mind pre-orders, it would be stupid to pre-order way early when they do rude stuff like that.

19. GauntZero

GauntZero Warlord

Already done. Haralds inclusion finally got me.

20. salty mud

salty mud Ey-up

This is all extremely naive. Your argument is basically, "well previous civ games were good so this one will be as well" and then created strawman arguments. It's your fault you bought a full price game years old that was bad. That's why you do research into products. That's also why you don't preorder - if you for some reason simply HAVE TO HAVE it on release day, you wait until release day, see what other people say, and download it then. Or wait an extra day or two for delivery. Also, giving games a pass to make buggier games because they are "more complex" is very juvenile. Game companies also now have budgets that dwarf what they had back when. Games should be of a higher quality, always.

You also destroyed your own argument. They are offering preorder content for those that preorder. If that isn't cutting content, I'm not sure what is

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.