1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you pre-ordering?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by EgonSpengler, Aug 19, 2016.

?

Preorder?

Poll closed Oct 18, 2016.
  1. Yes, I have or will preorder the game.

386 vote(s)
    68.7%
  2. No, I'm going to wait and see.

176 vote(s)
    31.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

it would be cool if they gave something material for preordering, like figurines or t-sirts

2. ProMeTheus112

ProMeTheus112 Warlord

I'm not really interested in preordering (or not), but what I don't really like is things being taken out from the game added through DLC or preorder bonus, it's just not classy at all. Kind of like a trap for people who don't know about it who buy the game from the shelves, oops you're missing content, and a money trap for those who are better informed, simply placing the total price tag higher for full content. It's not exact though cause preorders can actually be cheaper, I don't know what to make of this, it's annoying. (I don't want to buy the game before it's out and I know what it really is, and can play it..).

3. Haggbart

Haggbart King

If I wait until day 1 I will have to pay the full price. Now I got a nice discount. From the LPs I've seen so far I already know I will like the game. I already know I want to play it on day 1 and I do want the pre order bonus.

Since you're willing to wait, I guess you're willing to wait for the Aztecs too (which you will get for free eventually). That's your choice. I can't comment on your priorities because I don't know you, and you don't know the priorities of those who do pre order.

€60 is like a cheap night out, I'm not going to lose any sleep anyway (or most likely I will, but for the right reasons).

4. ProMeTheus112

ProMeTheus112 Warlord

60€ a cheap night out?? ^____^

5. Haggbart

Haggbart King

You've clearly never been to Norway :lol: A beer often cost €10.

6. ProMeTheus112

ProMeTheus112 Warlord

I guess if you can afford that stuff it doesn't matter if you buy Civ 6 for 10 or 1000€ eh! lol j/k
    for me 60€ is quite a lot of money I live with like 10€ a day

7. Haggbart

Haggbart King

Lol, yeah the wages in Norway are good, especially near Oslo. But consider that buying a decent apartment anywhere central can easily set you back €500.000. So it's not like we're swimming in cash.

This seems a bit off-topic I concur, I just brought in into the discussion because people always discuss from their own point of view, and seem to forget that other people have other priorities and considerations to make when buying a game.

But if it cost €1000 I'd might chose to sit it out until the next Steam sale :lol::lol::lol:

8. Civciv5

Civciv5 Grand Emperor

What? That's outrageous!

Also:
    Spoiler :

9. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

This. No reason to pre-order now when I could in theory pre-order on the 20th of October :p

I expect I will pre-order, yes, because while I tend to avoid pre-ordering games, if there's one franchise I'm likely to make an exception for it's this one. I pre-ordered Civ 5 and yes, it was a shambles at release, but I can't say I didn't enjoy playing it even in those early days.

10. Wolle68

Wolle68 Warlord

It isn't cutting content. Civ III had 16 civs, Civ IV had 18, Civ V had also 18, and now Civ VI has 18 civs again. So what's cut?

11. ProMeTheus112

ProMeTheus112 Warlord

Ok it's no big deal, it's only one civ.

But on top of that, there is the "digital deluxe" where they cut some music out for it or something.

I mean anything that's been made for the game is part of the game and you can consider it cut from the game if it's already made but not included. whatever this money stuff

12. shyPiano

shyPiano Prince

Already did, in fact! :) I'm a sucker for soundtracks, and Civ VI's is shaping up to be the best so far. And since I bought all Civ V DLC, getting a discount on Civ VI's will be quite nice.

As for The Aztecs, I pre-ordered before they announced them, so the inclusion of this bonus didn't change my plan to pre-order one iota. ;)

13. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

Not if there intention had been for the assets (music, art, components) was to be as DLC, etc to begin with.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

14. salty mud

salty mud Ey-up

Why is this used as a comparison? If you don't preorder, you don't get all the civs people who pre-ordered did. I always enjoy the mental gymnastics used by people to justify this and not call it cut content.

15. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

It cannot have been "cut" if the intention was to put the stuff into DLC to begin with. Spinning words doesn't make it any different.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

16. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

Its locked, not cut. You can preorder up to the second before it releases. I'd maybe care if people were uninformed about the game or the ability to preorder, but that is clearly not the case here.

17. Haggbart

Haggbart King

That does not make any sense. If they make more content that means more work, and this is tied in with the money they expect to make. It's not like the content would be there anyway and they took it away, it's more they did this extra work BECAUSE they know they could earn more money from it. But you'd might argue that they charge more for the DLC's pr. workhour put in, you'd probably be right about that. However you could also say they subsidized the base game compared to the expansions/DLCs/Deluxe edition, we simply don't know the cost (and they don't know the sales, so it's not like releasing games is without any risk).

That's pretty common in the industry in several ways, in 2006 Sony lost $240 pr sold unit of the PS3 in the beginning, but gambled on recouping the money on games and the machine eventually becoming cheap to produce.

18. salty mud

salty mud Ey-up

That is LITERALLY CUT CONTENT. It has been CUT (removed, erased, eradicated, use whatever word you want) from the main game for people to pay for. You can try and twist the definitions as much as you'd like, but the content is cut.

19. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

No kidding. Firaxis must be grinning from ear to ear.

20. ftl

ftl Warlord

I'll probably pre-order if it's available on the mac and they post the required system specs so I can see it will run on my macbook.

OTherwise I won't, because I won't be able to play it -_-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.