Are you pre-ordering?

Preorder?

• Yes, I have or will preorder the game.

Votes: 386 68.7%
  • No, I'm going to wait and see.

Votes: 176 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I ask a Q about the Deluxe? It includes 4 DLCs, exactly what they are is unclear - presumably another civ, maps etc. Being relatively new to Civ I have no idea what these DLCs will cost when they go on release. What I'm asking is it worth the extra money for Deluxe or would the standard game + buying the DLCs amount to the same thing?

PaulC.
As long as Firaxis/2K sticks with how DLC was handled with Civ V, I think that they will be reasonable... $5 for a pack which includes a civ or two and maybe a couple maps. As long as they don't become like EA, we should be fine.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

It isnt known what is in them. Civ5 released civs with scenarios and maps dlc. Civs are usually 5 or 10$ while maps are 5$.

You can be sure that the deluxe will get those at a discount compared to the full price. However its impossible to know whether or not the dlc is interesting or not at this stage or how much that discount is.

You can be sure that the deluxe will get those at a discount compared to the full price.

That's what I wanted to hear. Will probably get the Deluxe as being a game I will likely play for several hundred hours (or days :lol:) I don't begrudge paying out more up front. Wouldn't do it for another game though, only Civ.

Looks nice. Think I'll settle at Deluxe :)

As an aside, if you buy a CD version of the game does it integrate with steam i.e. you still play it through steam and get access to updates, mods etc in the usual way?
I had the steam version of V, but I understand that the "physical" copy had a code which integrated out with steam.

I was leaning no, but I might get the special edition pre order because I hardly get those. I might as well for a franchise I love.

Edit: Scratch that. I'll just wait.

Of course I will pre order the game its one of the few games left that I can count on to be entertaining and not have vulgarity or homosexuality in it. I have been with civ since civ 3 and I like the direction it's heading in.

I will not be pre-ordering. It made sense back in the dark ages when we had to go to these places filled with other people to buy boxes with our games inside. These boxes were limited and, especially around launch, their availability subject to anticipated demand. Pre-ordering was a natural solution ebenefitting both parties.

These days we have our Lord and Savior technology watching over us and games no longer struggle against the shackles of their corporeal form. They are free and us with them. So going back to our deal with the pre-ordering, we don't receive any value from it anymore. Under any fair circumstances this would mean the deal is off. Publishers don't wan't to accept their waning value, so instead seek to artificially maintain their position by offering us a solution to a new sustainable problem which they, being the cause of, can control.

See this is nothing new, plenty of young and unusually large gentlemen thought of this very same solution when their success offering security to local businesses really began to undermine their own success. It has never been a particularly ethical or sustainable business model, as it tends to cannibalize your business's public image for short-term benefit.

I just don't generally make deals with people who only provide solutions to problems they create. This is the behaviour responsible for delaying the world from becoming a better place.

That being said, I don't think it actually matters in this case, and I only even bother post on the topic out of supreme boredom.

Of course I will pre order the game its one of the few games left that I can count on to be entertaining and not have vulgarity or homosexuality in it. I have been with civ since civ 3 and I like the direction it's heading in.

Hopefully it won't have any ethnic groups you don't like. :rolleyes:

Pre-ordered today. 25th Anniversary edition here we come. Yep, get excited people, I'm a sell out.

Just ordered this also. Civ I and The Bards Tale were the games that got me hooked on computer gaming. It's hard to believe 25 years have gone by...

Um, what?

I hope he doesn't look too closely at Trajan's biography...

I'm still on the fence myself. I will almost certainly want the game in its first couple of months, when both a discount will be unlikely, and the Aztecs will be exclusive to preorders.

I don't know if I can be bothered with the Deluxe when so little information is out there on what the DLCs will be. Wonders, Leaders and Civilisations are obvious purchases for me, but scenarios and maps on their own don't interest me at all. It also depends on how much those 4 DLCs will cost separately...

Here is the thing... Civilization V was a big divergence over its predecessors. Their were a lot of changes and that means big risks, both gameplay-wise and balancing. There were many factors that often come to light once the core market gets a hold of the game. With Civilization: BE

BE is not part of the mainline series. The bulk of its issues were in design, and I chose to ignore it for the purposes of this.

And yes, that means I'm calling out Civ 4 release, despite that it still holds the best design choices in the series on most things. MP was a non-functional travesty in vanilla and the tradeoffs were not as deep as BTS. It wasn't as broken as Civ 5, but it wasn't good.

Apples and Oranges, man! One is a massive machine where any mistakes or problems can cost lives... the other is a video game. There is a BIG difference.

I'm talking about incentives. What I've quoted is a non-sequitur red herring that does not address or refute anything I said.

It goes both ways, you know... calling out people who preorder and saying that they are the problem is essentially calling them "idiots".

No, people make poor choices all the time without being "idiots" in the general sense. If a person had to never make poor/irrational choices to avoid being an idiot, we'd have a planet full of idiots and nobody who isn't one. It kind of loses its utility as a term in that scenario though.

So when I tell you that the consequences of your choices are bad for the industry, no I'm not calling you an idiot. I'm telling you that you're giving incentive for a firm to underperform its promises, by rewarding it for a track record for underperforming on its promises.

I'm not calling anybody's reasoning "juvenile", such as what I quoted. I'm just calling some of it wrong, because those wrong stated beliefs are inconsistent with what has happened when similar choices have been made (IE the evidence). You can be a perfectly competent, wrong adult. I'd estimate that represents the majority who disagree with my stance.

This may be true with SOME companies in the industry, but can hardly be applied to every company out there. I'll touch more on this later...

No, it's true in every case. Some companies resist disincentive for providing quality, but if the market lowers its standards for quality the incentive for quality go down regardless of what the firm chooses to do about it.

I never said that hardware was the SOLE reason for issues after release. But it is a BIG issue. Yes, there are almost always a few bugs that show up that have nothing to do with the hardware configuration or anything. Also some issues that are the result of poor to bad design decisions or short-sightedness. Still, a large portion of issues are usually hardware related due to the different configurations that can be found with an open system such as the PC. They can be frustrating, they can be annoying, but most GOOD companies react and fix those issues pretty quickly.

What you say about hardware isn't wrong, but it doesn't refute what I said. Such issues are a small percentage of the problem in these games, time-wise, because they do get identified and fixed pretty fast and it is unrealistic to expect them all to be foreseen without exception.

However those issues are not part of my case against pre-ordering.

Unlike certain other companies (who shall remain nameless... though their initials start with E and A ) who disregard fans complaints, wants, and wishes because they have their own idea of what is best and no puny player can possibly know better than them.

There are more similarities between Firaxis and EA than you care to admit. I could cookie cutter copy most of your arguments above and apply them to Madden '17 and they'd apply almost identically. The DLC model, product release quality (actually, EA is a LOT better than Firaxis at MP functionality, which is painful), and defense of practices are more similar than ever.

Yes... And that was largely do to hardware compatibility. The issues were resolved.

OOS in MP was not, however. Broken UI (that remained broken all the way until BTS 3.19) was not. MP in civ 5 was largely not hardware, and was never fixed (put 5+ people in a game, it melts).

At least 4 had some UI conventions from the past decade. 5 actually regressed in UI, and that's pitiful considering 4 has moving buttons, a tendency to ignore commands for stack selection, and automatic re-pathing mid-turn to screw you. But in 5 you have cases where you select something and the game forcibly unselects it and selects something else over and over, inconsistent input buffering exists to this day. On release 5 would literally lie to you about whether your city was growing and whether your unit would attack as well.

In pre-ordering, the $$$ are sending a message that such is acceptable. Yes, I consider sending that message to contribute to the doormat status of this market.

No because of the Aztec DLC. I cannot support such practices. I might get it very soon though if the reception is positive.

As long as Firaxis/2K sticks with how DLC was handled with Civ V, I think that they will be reasonable... $5 for a pack which includes a civ or two and maybe a couple maps. As long as they don't become like EA, we should be fine.

It have a feeling that if the games sells well enough, they are going to go all out on DLC this time, with perhaps twice as much as Civ V. The simplistic leader scenes mean that slightly less work is needed for DLC, and they have already hinted at multiple leaders. Also, I'm not trying to be fussy about the games appearance, but I feel that the visuals do look like one of those mobile games where spending hundreds is essential to an enjoyable experience (yeah, this more than likely doesn't mean anything, but you never know, it could be an attempt to appeal to the sort of mobile gamers who play that kind of stuff).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom