1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you pre-ordering?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by EgonSpengler, Aug 19, 2016.

?

Preorder?

Poll closed Oct 18, 2016.
  1. Yes, I have or will preorder the game.

386 vote(s)
    68.7%
  2. No, I'm going to wait and see.

176 vote(s)
    31.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

...That sounds horribly imbalanced. Just let your city hit max housing and you get a free settler. :confused:

2. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

Free settlers are a bad idea, but I quite like the idea of reduced settler cost when you're nearing your pop cap.

That idea could work if you could add the city's surplus food output as hammers to settler production once you've hit your housing cap. (and if settler production reduces city pop, like in Civ 3, otherwise it's too op.)

3. ShaggyCan

ShaggyCan Warlord

When I goto greenman it doesn't show any sale price...maybe its regional.

4. Alsark

Alsark Noble

It's a voucher code (which is weird because I thought they said they weren't doing codes anymore). If you have a Green Man Gaming account already, check your e-mail.

5. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Are you on their email list? I just got one with the discount as part of a coupon code.

6. Herod

Herod Warlord

I'd rather use a 20% discount coupon and wait 90 days for Monty than pre-order from Steam at full price and get early access to Monty. It will probably take 90 days to download the bloody game if it's anything like the last Steam game I bought.

Seriously an extra £20 for a soundtrack and an unspecified discount on 4 DLC's? It better be a good discount, I don't think it's worth the gamble...

7. x2Madda

x2Madda Prince

Not pre-ordering. I pre-ordered civ:be and the map packs have been played a total of 0 times by me. We also got no game of the month for civ:be and multiplayer was dead pretty quickly.

Not saying Civ6 will be bad, infact it seems to be shaping alright. But so was Civ:be at first blush.

Spoiler :
    Civ:BE was a mistake!

8. Herod

Herod Warlord

I agree it felt to me like a console game, but in it's defence it wasn't supposed to be another "version" of Civ.
    I have high hopes for Civ VI (after a patch or two).

9. ShaggyCan

ShaggyCan Warlord

Ah, I just checked that box. I haven't been to their site since they went to their voucher system I guess.
    Probably will miss the sale now.

10. trendy

trendy Chieftain

Definitely preordering. The bonuses are nice but honestly just want to play a new civ. Tired of the standard tech paths to science building xyz and hoping for something a bit more varied and new.

Expecting the game will be pretty unbalanced for a few patches though.

11. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Well as I see it, the only reason why you'd buy the DE is if you know you'll buy they DLC anyway. Then you might as well save the pennies that will probably be the difference anyway.

I have a question for people who pre-ordered by now: If I pre-order the standard edition, is there an upgrade option to DE if I change my mind if more info comes out about the DLC?

12. Bino

Bino Warlord

Afaik, if you, like me as an example, preorder from GmG, when on the 21st we will receive the code, it will also unlock Monty, it's still a preorder, even if not directly purchased on Steam.

13. anandus

anandus Errorist

Not sure about that, but as it's a pre-order you probably can cancel your order and order the DE instead.
    --------------------------
    Does anyone know if there are regional locks on Civ 6? If I buy it on holiday in Brazil, can I use it in Europe?

14. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Good point!

EDIT > Actually, when I try to buy it, it says I forfeit my 14 day right to regret the purchase because it's a digital order? :undecide:

15. zaloglu2211

zaloglu2211 Chieftain

Can't pre ordering because I live in Turkey

16. ZTZaorish

ZTZaorish Warlord

I dont want to encourage the practice of preorders, which is bad for the quality of games in general. I dont like that they are doing this with civ VI, well, it is more that i dont like the practice of trying to entice gamers to buy something by promising them more content/earlier access to content in return. It affects people's judgement of the game, and makes them more likely to buy it. Obviously this is the aim of this tactic. The amin issue i have is the the information give at this point is only what developers, and a couple select yourubers will discuss, which is often far from enough information to make an informed purchase.

That being said, i am glad firaxis has offered so many game previews, but again, bias tends to leak into reviews when developers give you early copies, which in turn give you tons of views on youtube aka $$$.

To make it simple, not a big fan of pre-orders, even less of a fan of preorders with extra preorder only incentives, it's just poor for. Why cant you just make a good game, have people review it highly and get sales that way? It has worked in the past, it can still work now.

That or, go the early access route, where at least you admit that the produc is not what you may get later, and the consumer has the option of paying far less early on, and understand that they are paying to potentially help take part of the developmebt process of the game.

17. kingchris20

kingchris20 Wisdom Seeker

Resident of Heaven; Currently in the Waiting Room
    Well, I preordered DE on Jun 7, 3 months ago, before the announcement of Monty.

Pre-order IMO is showing your support for a game you know you'll like and play for hundreds of hours.

If you are on the fence about preordering..........dont do it. Just wait for a year when the game comes bundled with other DLC and pat yourself on the back for getting a deal.......or if you're really game........wait 2 or 3 years and get it at 75% off with all the DLCs and XPacks.

18. AerisDraco

AerisDraco Chieftain

Hmm...
    I'm unsure about what to preorder, and I need to check- -does getting the DE give you the DLCs for free when they come out, or just a discount on them?

19. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

You get them free, only in so much as you are pre-ordering them as well, and won't be expected to pay more later on.

20. Monthar

Monthar Emperor

I don't see a point in pre-ordering for the Aztecs since everyone gets them for free later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.