Are you pre-ordering?

Preorder?

• Yes, I have or will preorder the game.

Votes: 386 68.7%
  • No, I'm going to wait and see.

Votes: 176 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, you're on a site named CivFANATICS, not a site named OnlyModeratelyInterestedInCIVreally. If anything I'm surprised more people didn't preorder.

No, he is on a site where a large portion of the community has basically become beta testers and don't seem to care anymore. No matter, this isn't the appropriate thread to discuss this.

"You are going to pay in advance without knowing exactly what you are getting in exchange, under her deck??? I have no time for such nonsense."
D.R.

:lol::mischief::goodjob: Love it!

I really don't get the "wait and see" camp (outside if you have some concern over specs). In this day and age what information will you have after the game launches you don't have before? You are given mounds and mounds of pressers that you can see and reviews, let's plays, EA, etc, etc. There is far greater info dump before a game releases than after (especially true here). And if, after all that, you end up not liking it you can just return it. So who cares if you preorder, a quarter, a month, a week, a day, a hour, a second.

That is LITERALLY CUT CONTENT. It has been CUT (removed, erased, eradicated, use whatever word you want) from the main game for people to pay for. You can try and twist the definitions as much as you'd like, but the content is cut.

Assuming that wasn't designed to be part of DLC from the get go, after all, if they plan on releasing it within the first few weeks then that DLC needs to have some sort of progress done.

You're assuming that they cut it, because they've already planned it.

But it could've been designed with the intent of being DLC, hence, not being actually even cut from the "main game".

Also, if something is removed from the "main game" and released isn't cutting ti.

Puelbo was cut. Mt Everst in Civ 5 was cut.

I really don't get the "wait and see" camp (outside if you have some concern over specs). In this day and age what information will you have after the game launches you don't have before? You are given mounds and mounds of pressers that you can see and reviews, let's plays, EA, etc, etc. There is far greater info dump before a game releases than after (especially true here). And if, after all that, you end up not liking it you can just return it. So who cares if you preorder, a quarter, a month, a week, a day, a hour, a second.

Wow... There are so many things wrong with this statement, I wouldn't know even where to begin on the rebuttal. :sarcasm: I admire your being an optimal target demographic Sir, well done.

Why is this used as a comparison?

Because you're getting a similar product at a similar price. You're alleging that someone cut something away from what you were supposed to get at that price. The history of the franchise suggests differently.

If you don't preorder, you don't get all the civs people who pre-ordered did.

So what? Effective prices change all the time. That doesn't imply that you are getting a bad or unfair deal.

(By the way, you will get the civs, only later.)

I always enjoy the mental gymnastics used by people to justify this and not call it cut content.

I'm not going to get hung up on the exact definition of "cut content". If you want to refer to any content that someone else is getting "cut content", fine by me. But then you've made it so broad that it's pretty immaterial.

Well, I just don't want to pay premium for a pre-order. I'm sure I'll survive a month without the Aztecs :p. Also, in terms of whether I'd want the deluxe edition, I'll wait and see what it offers before I decide.

That is LITERALLY CUT CONTENT. It has been CUT (removed, erased, eradicated, use whatever word you want) from the main game for people to pay for. You can try and twist the definitions as much as you'd like, but the content is cut.
The point is that if the content was NEVER intended for the base game, it could NOT have been "cut" from the base game. This happens every release... Somebody complains because all of the content is not available from start. At least they aren't like the old WWE games where the preorder content was ONLY available to those who preordered and if you didn't preorder, you could not get the content... Or like EA, where they strip the base content, add a little bit at a time through 50 expansions and overpriced DLC ($5 for one hair style). Going by Civ V, 2K was much more reasonable with their add-on content. Hopefully (and I have no reason to believe poor suspect otherwise), they will continue that.

In the end, buy it, don't buy it. Whatever... And that is directed to anybody/everybody.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

I was certainly tempted to preorder the game but it comes out in the middle of a university module. So my current plan is to pick it up around January when it's slightly discounted and I have some additional time to spend on it.

No, he is on a site where a large portion of the community has basically become beta testers and don't seem to care anymore.

Well done, sir! +1 to you. :)

Is there a very clear benefit to pre-ordering? I generally stray away from doing so because I never expect fresh releases to be bug-free and fully functional. In the recent years too many games came out unpolished, and I prefer to wait some time until the initial hype wanes.

Is there a very clear benefit to pre-ordering? I generally stray away from doing so because I never expect fresh releases to be bug-free and fully functional. In the recent years too many games came out unpolished, and I prefer to wait some time until the initial hype wanes.
The biggest reason for "buggy" releases is due to hardware. It is difficult to bench test all types of hardware configurations. That is why some people have no problems and others experience crashes and glitches. It is difficult to account for everything until the game goes live.

Currently the only known benefit to pre-ordering is that you get to play Aztecs immediately instead of 90 days later.

If you prefer to wait some time, then clearly there's no point in pre-ordering, pre-ordering only makes sense for the people who really care to play it on release day!

Is there a very clear benefit to pre-ordering?
For me: pre-loading, often you can start downloading the game before it's released and once it launches properly, your version unlocks, really to play.

It's admittedly a bit silly, but it's a bit like the midnight queues for Harry Potter or Star Wars, you got to play it the moment it's available instead of waiting for several GB to download.

I WANT to preorder, but I won't be. At least not right now. We've seen only beta footage and are simply told everything will be cleaned up by launch. Now, I'm sure Ed Beach and his team are going to live up to that, but I think I'll play it safe, see how the launch goes, and then I'll pick it up when I want to. It would take a lot to convince me to preorder it without seeing the actual final product.

I Walked into EB and asked the counter girl what PC games were coming out soon. When she said Civ 6 i pre ordered on the spot :). It is Civ, i have pre ordered Civilisation Games since pre ordering became a thing. It is beyond fanboi now, it is tradition. Though i am quietly hyped for it.

The focus on map features, de stacking cities, Culture/tech split, Governments and the uniqueness of the Civs is very intriguing. I am at the point now when i just wanna Play!!!!

I Walked into EB and asked the counter girl what PC games were coming out soon. When she said Civ 6 i pre ordered on the spot :). It is Civ, i have pre ordered Civilisation Games since pre ordering became a thing. It is beyond fanboi now, it is tradition. Though i am quietly hyped for it.

The focus on map features, de stacking cities, Culture/tech split, Governments and the uniqueness of the Civs is very intriguing. I am at the point now when i just wanna Play!!!!

I'm in this boat. I got Civ 1 the week it came out and after that I got the others the day they were released and also pre ordered when you could. I did my pre order at game stop but did the box version to set up next to the other ones, and hoping for something cool in the box

There's no incentive for me to pre order I can wait. At best (fingers crossed) I hope to skim through the lowest spec otherwise a £50 game needs a £150-£250 upgrade...

I'm hardly expecting a bad launch of Rome 2 proportions but I would sooner gather information at least a month of peoples playtime to show up any issues with the games design. Especially if you need expansions to rectify these. Not something you can do in a 2 hour play through that Steam refunds allow.

Let's all try and be good consumers as it helps us all in the long run

There's no option for me as I haven't decided yet. But as a civfanatic, I have my suspicions how it will unfold. :)

The biggest reason for "buggy" releases is due to hardware. It is difficult to bench test all types of hardware configurations. That is why some people have no problems and others experience crashes and glitches. It is difficult to account for everything until the game goes live.

Would you care to link the hard data for your thesis please? How about we use Civ V launch as your bench mark? Or, if you prefer, how about the we use any of the following games:

Sim City
Diablo III
Gal Civ III
Civ BE

Or any other games you would care to name released within the past year. I would rather enjoy seeing the breakdown of "hardware" vs "buggy release".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom