Are you pre-ordering?

Preorder?

• Yes, I have or will preorder the game.

Votes: 386 68.7%
  • No, I'm going to wait and see.

Votes: 176 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is 25% off on GMG for Europe with VIP5 coupon code if someone is interested. It's a good deal for Deluxe Edition especially since you can find better prices for basic version elsewhere I guess.

This did it for me: getting the Deluxe Edition for £53 is pretty good. I was on the fence because I didn't want to fork out for the DLC without knowing what it was, having little interest in maps and scenarios. But having now paid the equivalent of £13 for all four, even if two are complete rubbish I think I'm probably still saving on buying them à la carte Day 1, which I almost certainly will for new Civs and Leaders. :p

This did it for me: getting the Deluxe Edition for £53 is pretty good. I was on the fence because I didn't want to fork out for the DLC without knowing what it was, having little interest in maps and scenarios. But having now paid the equivalent of £13 for all four, even if two are complete rubbish I think I'm probably still saving on buying them à la carte Day 1, which I almost certainly will for new Civs and Leaders. :p

but will you really be sick of all the vanilla civs by the time new ones come out? They'll go on sale eventually. I don't think I bought any DLC until after BNW. Just God's and Kings.

but will you really be sick of all the vanilla civs by the time new ones come out? They'll go on sale eventually. I don't think I bought any DLC until after BNW. Just God's and Kings.

Not sick so much, as I just really like having a bigger pool of civs to play with and against. Especially if they're as interestingly-designed as Civ VI's appear to be. As far as discounts, it goes without say that they will eventually be cheaper. But this deal likely already represents as much of a discount as the game is going to get by Christmas. And personally I wouldn't want to wait any longer than that. To each their own on that front, though.

I feel like it's correct to say tall is dead, long live wide.

The problem is that they do limit wide, so if you want to be really abusive technical about it, wide is 16+ cities and tall is 16. (Not precise numbers, but I think that's a fairly good guess as to the numbers)

Yes I have preordered and I went a bit overboard, for a while.
I had written the release date on my wall calendar so I was reminded on Oct 1 when I flipped the page. It was only then that I found out about the 25th Anniv edition, but it was sold out, so I preordered the Digital Deluxe on Steam.
A couple days later I was on ebay and found 25th Anniv editions for sale all over the place, so I bought one. Within an hour the anticipation had gotten to me and I had bought a second copy to keep unopened.
Yesterday I requested a refund from Steam for the Digital Deluxe copy that I had preordered and they refunded it very quickly. So now I have only 2 copies preordered.
I have enjoyed Civ II through V. Was V my favorite? No. But I adapted my typical play style and still played 2,500 hours according to Steam. So my cost for an hour of entertainment with Civ V was way below any other hobby I have. Sign me up and give me two please, thank you very much.

Yes I have preordered and I went a bit overboard, for a while.
I had written the release date on my wall calendar so I was reminded on Oct 1 when I flipped the page. It was only then that I found out about the 25th Anniv edition, but it was sold out, so I preordered the Digital Deluxe on Steam.
A couple days later I was on ebay and found 25th Anniv editions for sale all over the place, so I bought one. Within an hour the anticipation had gotten to me and I had bought a second copy to keep unopened.
Yesterday I requested a refund from Steam for the Digital Deluxe copy that I had preordered and they refunded it very quickly. So now I have only 2 copies preordered.
I have enjoyed Civ II through V. Was V my favorite? No. But I adapted my typical play style and still played 2,500 hours according to Steam. So my cost for an hour of entertainment with Civ V was way below any other hobby I have. Sign me up and give me two please, thank you very much.

Like you said, efficient money spent. Dinner out with your significant other is the same price, assuming you are not going to McDonalds. I bought two myself for LAN play.

Nope, I don't preorder games to begin with and even if I did they have changed far too much stuff since Civ4 for me to blindly trust that it will be worth the money.

I will not preorder a product without seeing it in play. With all the lets-plays on YT lately, I've seen all I need to make an informed decision with my money.

Firaxis can have it (preordered yesterday).

Typically, "pre-order" is (in my view) code for "Can you just give us the money now and when we hit a target we'll just stop development and release, you may or may not get a patch at some point". However, the Civ franchise has proven itself time and again to deliver a quality product. Yes, there are issues that need resolving and not everything is perfect on the first release, and while I'm sure there will be people who disagree, their initial release is often better than many similar games after they've been patched and had a round of expansions.

A pre-order of Civ is a minimal risk investment. (Although announcing your DLC Civs prior to release is a bit cheap imo, but hey, that's how the market is moving and it's not as if the modding community doesn't resolve a lot of the gaps anyway).

I am thinking of pre-ordering, but I know I will get the Aztecs in a DLC. The game will also probably need a patch when it first comes out. In fact, I know it will. On the other side of the coin, this company will put in the work to make this an excellent game. I have a pc that can more than play it, which I bought last winter. Marbozir's YouTube LP with Pericles helped me decide that the game gives you so much to do it does not get boring. Even watching him play I wasn't bored. So, it seems to me there really is not much to worry about. One question though what are the DLC civs that were announced prior to release? I thought just the Aztecs were announced, and the other 18 in the game for release.

Civ 5 is a snoozefest, so i'll try a demo before i buy 6. I understand districts and governments will make for more active decision-making, but i'll have to see for myself if it holds up.

Civilization franchise is one of the few I feel safe preordering. I've gotten so much fun out of each title that is covered the costs 10 times over.

Well maybe expect for Civilization 3, but that was also on my and that darned reallife thing that I had going on at the time. Still while not 10 times, I still got enough to warrant the cost easily.

Its not always a direct hit, Civilization 5 needed some work after the vanilla release, but Firaxis is great at supporting their games.

yes? well no, you cant download it until its released, but you can download it even if you arent in the US i assume? as long as you have it paid for..

It's quite probable that there will be a preload on Steam where you can download all the files for the game in advance, which will then unlock for playing on release day. For third-party key sellers, this will depend on when your chosen site releases the Steam keys (IIRC, GMG are quite good at doing tis a few days in advance).

It's quite probable that there will be a preload on Steam where you can download all the files for the game in advance, which will then unlock for playing on release day. For third-party key sellers, this will depend on when your chosen site releases the Steam keys (IIRC, GMG are quite good at doing tis a few days in advance).
well i preoredered friday, and i still cannot dl XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom