1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Art and Lore

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by Valkrionn, Jun 29, 2009.

1. tesb

tesb Emperor

i have not seem them in wm
    sephi did add deep oceans though

2. Jabie

Jabie Wanted in Monte Carlo...

Don't think the Reefs look that bad. Those Drakes are that ones that can be chained, n'est pas?

I see the unit stats is still iin the bottom right near the AC. Any plans to move it onto a button next to Somnium where it'd be a little more out of the way?

3. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

The Reefs are actually asteroids from Final Frontier. Think I killed the rotation, though. :lol:

Yes, those drakes can be chained. The pic was just posted to show off new art; They also have new selection sounds, and custom breath attacks.

Not particularly. I think it's more out of the way where it is, honestly, never liked the Orbis placement. :lol: It's broken though, so may as well remove it unless we decide to fix it.

4. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

The Gem of Death is held in the hand of Tuoni. (For a little while there was a great person called Tuoni the Gatekeeper, who is likely him. When Xienwolf was preparing to make popups for the great people he ignored this backstory, at initially decided that Tuoni should be a female dwarf that liked to yodel.) His brothers' names have not been revealed.

In Kael's D&D campaign, Tuoni was the big bad for whom Tebryn Arbandi was working. He intended to unleash the power of Tebryn's ritual to kill everyone in the world, so that he could collect their souls in the gem and set himself up as the god of a new netherworld. Auric Ulvin had been working with them too, but he and Tuoni quickly turned on each other as the spells of winter drew to a close. The team was eventually forced to choose whether to help defeat Tuoni or Auric. They chose to help Auric defeat Tuoni, preventing the would be death-god's omnicide and allowing Auric to become the new god of winter.

The brother who held the Gem of Air was not personally encountered but he also played an important role, the role of an excuse for powerful NPCs to ignore the adventurers or provide them substandard aid. They were too busy fighting a man who had gone mad with power and had founded a rapidly expandinging empire by obliterating all rival armies using tornadoes instead of mortal troops. The nature of the Air sphere likely led him to do reckless things just because they seemed cool, which probably led to a quick rise and an even quicker fall.

The brother who wielding the Gem of Water was never heard from. Presumably the nature of the water sphere is such that the gem made him more passive and content with what he already had, so that he saw no need to conquer the world or show off his power to anyone. He likely lived a long and peaceful life, never drawing on it enough to damage his sanity.

5. Valkrionn

Actually knew most of that, though I had thought it had taken place further back in the history (before the AoI). ;)

6. Sjru

Sjru Dragon

Just a question, why Basium and Sabathiel share "a troubled past"? (as I see ingame)

7. Valkrionn

They are both archangels, Sabathiel of Law and Basium of Life.

Sabathiel is the Archangel of Law; Even when allowed by his god to assist the Bannor, he still does not set foot in Erebus; He is in a realm midway between his god's vault and Erebus. Basium, however, blatantly broke the compact, with no regard for the consequences; Sabathiel sees him as something as bad as a demon, as a result.

8. lemonjelly

lemonjelly Modding For Ethne

Well, because this is the Art and Lore thread, I thought I'd mention that there's a new thread in the FFH Lore forum that you may be interested in!
    LINK HERE
    I hope that some of you will come join in :)

[/Shameless Plug] :p

9. Sjru

Sjru Dragon

Who is Ophelia Rosental? What role she plays in the lore? Why she has a face of a woman that's gonna cry? Is she a deppresive woman?

10. Oranos

Oranos Warlord

11. Sjru

Sjru Dragon

Hmm OK, I got satisfied in that part, but I just don't understand why Ophelia is available to the Dural.

12. Rainbow Sand

Rainbow Sand Chieftain

Quote on Dunsted Traver the great commander:
    "Drown soldiers to make a zombies? It may be Militarily practical, but why waste a perfectly good food?"

Is an author of this "aphorism" really that ignorant, or just goofy enough to make this as a (very lame) joke? Capital M hints at either stupidity or German nationality, or, unsurprisingly, both. Hoping that someone shall find some use of it beyond "lol wut" i shall bother to explain:

First off, not a single necromancer intending to exist a little longer than few months shall make zombies from his own living soldiers, if he somehow managed to acquire some. For a very simple reason: a single soldier can massacre a score of these shambling animations without much effort; heck, even i can dispatch a few of them with something like a shovel! Zombies that move at least as fast as trained soldier require so much power that raizing an army of them comparable to that of living soldiers requires godlike abilities.

And second, eating trained soldiers? Why do you think cannibalism was brutally purged out of existence whenever it was? Compare the value of hundred of trained "normal" humans and a single slightly empowered cannibal.

13. inuyashasama

inuyashasama Warlord

I figured he was either a vampire of a human-eating demon. I find it to be quite funny.

14. Rainbow Sand

Rainbow Sand Chieftain

A joke then. Although if thee is a human, thee have quite odd suicidal sense of humour:)
    A healthy attitude towards vampires and demons for a human is hatred, fear and "kill-em-on-sight-if-i-can";)

15. Valkrionn

Enough. On what do you base this argument? Absolutely nothing that has any meaning to Erebus. I also do not want to see any racism (or whatever the hell you call it with a nationality, meh) anywhere in the RifE forum. For that matter, my mother is German, thank you. ;)

To counter each point you raised:

• Drowns are not empowered by a necromancer. It is holy magic, seeing as they are from the Octopus Overlords religion. It would be quite simple to gain volunteers, seeing as that would be serving their gods.
    • The Drowns are empowered, again, by divine magic. Not by a single mage. They are thus just as strong as a normal warrior... And this is how they are represented in game. So it may require 'godlike' abilities (I dispute that, however), but that is exactly what is used.
    • It is obviously not a cannibal. It's a vampire. There is an entire civ of vampires. There is one known cannibal in Erebus (Duin). Why would you jump to the lesser probability?

16. Jhoniten

Jhoniten Warlord

I read the entire quote as the commander not wanting to convert his men into "Drowned" because as a vampire he needs to feed off them. Not really sure where the German thing came from, but it is probably wise to leave it where it came from and not bother with mentioning it again.

17. Torugu

Torugu Prince

Just to get this straight: Only nouns are capitalized in German whereas "militarily" is clearly an adverb. A typical German error to make here would be to write "military" as German doesn't differ between adverbs and adjectives. :p

18. Viatos

Viatos Prince

Unfortunately he still chose to note that a combination of stupidity and being German would be "unsurprising", which is still racist. Nationalist. Whatever. His ignorance of Deutsch doesn't excuse the clear insult there.

The quote IS a bit puzzling, and while it's notable that quite a few necromantic factions DO regularly kill and raise their entire military (Scions, D'tesh, and this is completely valid with the relevant example of civs under OO) EATING your trained military is pretty much always counterproductive, even for vampires...

...oh, except for D'tesh Fort Commanders. They're not as old as the quote, but they fit the bill just fine. Perhaps Dunsted is commenting on the foolishness of an OO civ his lord has tasked him with holding the border against. Mystery solved.

EDIT: And all it required was 60 seconds of consideration, with no overt discrimination for unreadily apparent reasons. /snark

19. Divvu

Divvu Warlord

I've been on theese boards since 2006. I' ve seen, more or less, the whole developement of FFH and major modmods, from the beginning untill now.
    I've readen some of the most heated-up discussion FFH has ever spawned.
    And I must say this is probably, NO, surely the rudest comment I've ever had the displeasure of reading on this forum.

Congratulation sir! A new record is something that should never be dismissed easily...

20. JujZe

JujZe Chieftain

Do you plan to include those esvath's demonic mages?
    current infernal mages seem too different and I dont like it :p