Art and Lore

This has been asked before but I'm still not entirely sure what to make out of Ophelia Rosenthal. I have read her civilopedia entry and I understand why she is available to both the Sheaim and the Bannor, but I can't figure out why she should be available to the Scions (Perhaps she's lost faith in the gods and thus accepts the Gift? But that should be the Grigori's field of expertise...) and the Dural. :crazyeye:

So, once again, who is Ophelia Rosenthal?

This has been asked before but I'm still not entirely sure what to make out of Ophelia Rosenthal. I have read her civilopedia entry and I understand why she is available to both the Sheaim and the Bannor, but I can't figure out why she should be available to the Scions (Perhaps she's lost faith in the gods and thus accepts the Gift? But that should be the Grigori's field of expertise...) and the Dural. :crazyeye:

So, once again, who is Ophelia Rosenthal?

I try my best to ignore the multi-civ leaders except for Decius. Multi-civ leaders definitely need unique lore entries for each civ they can lead, including at least a short explanation of how they got there.

Auric Ascended

Spoiler :
It was the first day of the siege. It was the last day of our people.

Amurite. The word had come to mean so much. Masters of the arcane, yes - but also a beacon of culture and civilization in a world given over to chaos, a force for advancement and discovery when madness and a dark new age rose up against the world - perhaps we were not heroes, as the Bannor had been. But we were PROGRESS, such as only the Age of Magic had ever known - if indeed it had, if our accomplishments did not outstrip theirs! - explorers of the vast reaches of human potential, and we had walked so far down that road we came to believe we had walked farther then anyone else.

Like the celebrations when the last Sheiam summoner had been burned out of his blasphemous temple and struck down by lightning, celebrations meant to herald the end of our greatest foe - we were fools. Fools and children, who thought the edge of the woods was far, who thought the petty cruelty of the village bully was evil.

When we stormed the city, it was empty - empty to the eyes of our scouts. But for those with other senses...it was the call of an unimaginable working that drew us, a pounding pulse of magic like the heartbeat of the gods - a cruel irony, but it is all I know now of humor - that brought our adepts to their knees and killed some weaker of our gifted. As we passed deeper into that frigid place it was our warriors who faltered first, then our firebows, the adepts, the Mage Commanders...at last I walked alone, the prodigy, the archmage, the one once called the Gift of Kylorin and honored as a symbol of what Amurites could achieve. I believed I was ready.

Then, just as the pulse reached its crescendo and I stepped through the palace archway, it stopped - without ceasing, simply... freezing at that ultimate height - and I saw It.

Auric Ulvin? No, not he. Nor did Mulcarn stand before me. It was Ice itself that walked, wearing human shape because It once had and It hated change, and if It had a name - if It would choose Auric, or the old god's call, or some other title to identify Its prayers and Its priests - I did not know it then. I do not wish to know it now.

How to describe it? Its gaze was not a chilling wind, yet it blasted me from my feet and frosted my flesh nonetheless. The ground did not crack and shatter under Its tread - it was ice, as if it had always been. Its power...no, there are not words. I am an archmage. I have touched the might of gods, called their spheres my own; I had whispered inferno into being, and yet before It I was less then the lowest candle, I was...it is impossible. I cannot explain Its scale. Perhaps that is description enough. At the pinnacle of my power, greatest archmage since Kylorin himself, I could not understand what I faced sufficiently to explain its magnitude in comparison to my own might.

I mentioned that once I called inferno as I chose. It is relevant, because of what It said to me.

CALL FIRE, WIZARD.

I tried. Gods - all Gods but one - help me, but I tried. I had seen the glacial wastes It left behind it. I knew what It would do when it reached our fertile magocracy. I had given up everything for the strength to face It, to face all our enemies - I had buried my heart, barely more then a girl when the Illians took her as I brought low the last Sheiam cities, twenty years prior to the day. There was nothing left but my art...

...but as I found under Its empty blue eyes, not even that would be left to me. I could not call fire. Not in its presence. It was too cold. Magic relies only on the will of the caster, yes - no extreme of temperature can diminish its spark. It would be impossible for a mere physical condition to impede magic, assuming the caster's concentration is sufficient, except that on that day it did. My mind was crystallized, heedless of anything but the art, the Fire - yet the cold was more then skin deep. My soul was frozen, and all the power at my command could not thaw any part of it.

I want to say I was strong. Perhaps I was - all my legends agree that I was, though like Kylorin's victory over Winter even the greatest legends can be revealed for lies in time - but if so then Its strength was all-consuming, and before it I broke. I looked into those eyes and saw the endless sphere of Ice, and how it would shape Erebus, and I broke.

"...please...teach...me...." I could only beg. Barely speak, as the cold rose forever.

SPAWN OF KYLORIN. Could It be amused? I don't know. If It could, then It was. YOU HAVE COME SO FAR. YOU HAVE LEARNED SO MUCH. AND NOW YOU WISH FOR ME TO TAKE YOU FURTHER...OF ME, YOU WOULD ASK PROGRESS?

It paused, considering. I would have wept, or screamed, or perhaps taken my own life when I realized the gravity of my error - but it was too cold now for that. I could do nothing but wait. Minutes later, It spoke again.

THEN LET YOUR STUDIES CEASE.I AM ALL THAT MAN CAN BE. I AM THE LAST STEP FORWARD. I AM THE ONLY THING YOU AND ALL HIS WRETCHED PROGENY EVER NEED LEARN AGAIN.

FROM THIS DAY FORWARD, PROGRESS ENDS.

And I froze. Everything did. For miles and miles and miles, the cold took it all, and even the wind held still as It commanded. I did not die, adept. You can see that. You can see how yet I live, though I draw no breath, though it is not my voice but my mind you hear. I have only froze. I did not die...and that is why I have called you.

Please. Once more, just one last time - please, let me feel the warm and vital power of Fire.

-Message of unknown origin, repeated over and over in the minds of arcanists entering the arctic wastes referred to by certain tribes as the Second Tomb of Kylorin (apparent reference to a former civilization he founded)

EDIT: Edited for sounding like a jerk. Ophelia is very well written, but it's difficult to see from her lore why she would return to the Bannor or become involved at all with the Scions. I think Dural and Sheiam are both pretty well-supported.

Just something I made in Photoshop today :)

Spoiler Old Version :
There's a couple of issues, the RifE logo on the side and text on the bottom of the box is a little off.

I missed GreyFox off. :(

I'll have to redo it, these problems are annoying :p

Attachments

• RifE Box.jpg
    RifE Box.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 349
  • RifE Ad.jpg
    RifE Ad.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 1,314
Can I suggest a new civilopedia entry for Wall of Force here? Its current one always seemed a bit lacking to me.

Spoiler :
At first, it looked more like a flood than an army. A hoard of wolves poured from the forest, steadily blocking out the green field between them and us. When the scouts had sent word of approaching goblins, we had done our best to be ready for them, but nothing could have prepared us for this. The hawk we had sent to the capitol now seemed less of a request for reinforcements and more of a warning of a need for a clean-up. I readied my bow, and wished that a small village in the middle of nowhere could merit a squadron of firebows, or that the Wizard living here could do something more than use a floating eye to tell us how sharp the wolves' teeth were, or how ferocious the hog-mounted ogre leading the charge was.

And then I heard something strange, as if a crowd of people all took a deep breath simultaneously, then stopped halfway through. I turned around, and almost fell over. I could recognise an Archmage when I saw one. He looked at the oncoming wave, and then at us; A wearied group of archers, pitifully outnumbered and woefully undertrained. Even if we could shoot far enough to start hitting them now, we'd never be able to fire enough shots to even make a dent.

"Aim at the ogre leading the charge, but do not fire until I give the command."

We did as he said. The title "Battlemage" existed for a reason. As I took aim, I wondered what he would do. Prehaps a ball of fire would incinerate the wolves, or maybe the air would take form against them. Whatever he was going to do, I hoped he would do it soon. The wolves had crossed half the field.

One of our number, a young man who had enlisted with the village guard the previous spring, fidgeted. "I think can hit one of them at this distance."

"Not yet."

The wolves were speeding up for the last stretch. They were easily within range of us all now.

"Hold your fire."

I could see the goblin riders clearly now, desperately clinging to the almost feral beasts heading straight for us. Some of the men were shaking.

"Not yet."

I could see the eyes of the wolves. One pair almost met mine. It seemed more interested in my throat.

"Not. Yet."

I looked away.

And heard a strange mix of thudding and crunching, punctuated by squeals of pain. I looked up, and almost cheered. The wolves looked had run straight into a shimmering wall, a mix of blood and bone floated on it in front of us. Wolves going too fast to stop slammed into the ones too broken to move out of the way.

I almost cheered, except that, slowly getting off the ground where he had been thrown when his hog hit the wall, was the ogre. He did not look happy.

The archmage coughed slightly, and wiggled his hand. And then we remembered that we were holding bows, arrows at the ready, still pointed at the ogre.

"Fire."

I really hope this the right place to post this.:please:

They are not immortal, actually... They replace the unit, but trade immortality for high strength and the ability to directly build them.

their defensive strength is the same as a normal immortal's and their offensive strength is much lower....so how are they stronger again..the second rate ranged attack that turns them into a high-cost archer unit:confused:

being directly buildable as a tier IV unit shouldn't be overlooked

I would still personally build the structure if it meant I could get stronger units....in the end it really comes down to the fact your immortals will be weaker than most other civs, depriving you of a powerful late-game unit, a 3 point attack strength difference can be a killer in civ. especially when you need to go on the offensive against technologically equal or superior civs

oh and this song might go well with the theme of the modmod
its by gothminister and has a different tone than most of their songs, this one has female vocals for example

...not dat I expect it to be used after I insalted the modmodder:mischief:
oh and the_j and his inquisition should be coming along to give me another penalty, so I'd preview this song soon:p

Attachments

• songForRiseFromErebus.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 209
here as attachment the textfiles for RiFE with the most important changes for german language. except for all the very long essays it should work for most german players.

Attachments

• Text.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 213
So, I've been messing with some art the past few hours. Here's the result. :lol:

New node graphics for all manas other than Metamagic. Type of graphic varies by school (Elementalism, Alteration, Necromancy, Divination, in that order), and color varies based on mana type.

In order of appearance, we have:

• First row - Elementalism - Air, Earth, Fire, Ice, Water
  • Second Row - Alteration - Body, Creation, Enchantment, Life, Nature
  • Third Row - Necromancy - Chaos, Death, Dimensional, Entropy, Shadow
  • Fourth Row - Divination - Force, Law, Mind, Spirit, Sun
As much as possible, I tried to make the colors match that of the mana resources. I had to change it for some, as I wanted them to be distinctive (far too many use a pale yellow, particularly among divination), but I think it turned out well. They will be in the next patch, and will be available in the SVN shortly.

Verrry pretty. But do they change with religion? Either way, still lovely to look at.

So, I've been messing with some art the past few hours. Here's the result. :lol:

New node graphics for all manas other than Metamagic. Type of graphic varies by school (Elementalism, Alteration, Necromancy, Divination, in that order), and color varies based on mana type.

In order of appearance, we have:

• First row - Elementalism - Air, Earth, Fire, Ice, Water
  • Second Row - Alteration - Body, Creation, Enchantment, Life, Nature
  • Third Row - Necromancy - Chaos, Death, Dimensional, Entropy, Shadow
  • Fourth Row - Divination - Force, Law, Mind, Spirit, Sun
As much as possible, I tried to make the colors match that of the mana resources. I had to change it for some, as I wanted them to be distinctive (far too many use a pale yellow, particularly among divination), but I think it turned out well. They will be in the next patch, and will be available in the SVN shortly.

Valk. I think you may have just reinvented the civ equivalent of gravity.:dubious::clap:

Like what? :crazyeye:

In any case, the original graphics come from Kohan 2. I just modified them.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=11947

manapools give bonus to mana-income, needed for direct spells, global enchantments (friendly, hostile), terraforming and summons (+ their upkeep). Atm, afaik, there are no direct screenshots from them, but look here in for a pic in a kind of short manual from kingknarf, on page 4 (zip-file to download, first post):

http://www.masterofmana.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=629

Maybe Sephi took them from Kohan too...

That link does not work, but I found it anyway. For the record, according to the manual you mentioned it is called a Mana Shrine, not a Mana Pool.

In any case, it is absolutely from the same source. It's a publicly available graphic pack; The fact that we both made use of it simply means it is quite fitting as a mana improvement. In fact, I do not even have MoM (or WM) installed, nor will I install them; I am quite capable of coming up with my own designs, as is the rest of the RifE team.

I don't think anybody doubts that. You have prove it often enough after all.

Top Bottom