As a child, did your parents spank you?

Were you spanked?

• No. They never touched me.

Votes: 37 19.6%
  • Once or twice, when I really pushed it....

Votes: 85 45.0%
  • Often.

Votes: 34 18.0%
  • Spanked? Well I have memories involving a belt....

Votes: 17 9.0%
  • Wait, your parents stopped when you became an adult? WTF?

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • My dad is Joseph Fritzl

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I like watching Downtown spank radioactive monkeys.

Votes: 9 4.8%

• Total voters

emzie

wicked witch of the North
Simple question, did your parents ever spank you? Did it work and would you spank your children if you ever had them.

poll inc

No. Then again, I was (and still am) rather well-behaved.

I was spanked and given the belt a few times... I was also slapped when I talked back to my mom. My parents were really strict in my early teen years (12-14) and younger. I turned out alright though. My parents really chilled out and gott more relaxed during my years in high school.

Note: not sure if it's worth noting, but my parents are really conservative in their politics.

I was spanked when I didn't respond to less harsh punishments like go to your room and no tv tonight. I have to consider myself lucky on this. My grandfather came from a very dysfunctional home and didn't have the skills to deal with a kid. Where my mom and dad would just roll their eyes, he'd smack his kids around. My dad set limits / thresholds based on how old my brother and I were and stuck to them. He swore he wouldn't repeat his dad's mistakes and he didn't. His control around me and my brother amazes me to this day.

My mom slapped me once when I got super unruly. The shock of it put me right back in my place. And once, when I was throwing a 12-year-old brat temper tantrum, kicking her seat in the car calling her jerkifer jerkifer jerkifer (her name being Jennifer) she took her cold McDonalds coffee and threw it on me.

Never been spanked.

I was never formally spanked, but once when I had really gone out of my mind my dad had to grab me by the arm and stop me. So I wouldn't say "they never touched me", which is why I voted the last option. I never plan on spanking my children.

Once or twice, when I really made a hash of things. Only to me, though, never to my brother or sister, both of whom are younger than me. I personally think it worked okay, because I'm not that maladjusted now.

I remember getting belted once when I was about 4 or 5, and think it may have happened one or two more times than that, around the same age. I don't think I've been spanked more than 3 times total though.

Yes but only a handful of times when I stepped out of line bigtime. It worked quite well too, which is the main reason why it was only a few times! I do the whole timeout thing with my daughter for the most part, but if she gets out of line she will get a smack on the bum (though she hasn't yet, and she's only 5 so she's still a touch young for that anyway). As long as you define and enforce your boundaries spanking isn't really necessary more than a few times over the course of a childs life. The threat of a spank should be enough to deter most behaviour.

Never got spanked. It really depends on the child, I'm not going to base how I raise my children in the future based on my own upraising. I need to adapt it to my kids. If they are unruly, and does not listen to reason, I'll use a more authoritative approach. If they are reasonable and rational, I'll give them as much freedom as my mom gave me.

i got smacked in the head a couple of times when i wouldn't explain why i did something wrong. But nothing really.

I was spanked as a kid for when I pushed it. Like threw a tantrum in a public place or at home. But I always got three warnings first before it. But some of the ways my parent's would discipline me would be not to spank me but let me realize my error, like when I stole HK$500 from my mom.

Would I spank my kids? Yes, but only after exhausting all diplomatic options. I probably wouldn't use a wooden spoon or a belt but I'd take them straight home and if that doesn't scare them straight, I'll spank them as soon as the door closes.

My daddy beat me so hard once my spleen fell out of my ear. Never did me no harm.

once or twice...but NEVER with the belt. They wouldnt do that. My mom took out the spatula every now and then but never used it, just threatened with it.

When my mom said she was going to spank me I wasnt really scared...but when dad was going to....oh jeez, thats where i RUN!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom