Ask a Basque Thread

Hmm... "Basque has an active and passive voice". Does it mean the voice is both active and passive? Should it be "Basque has active and passive voices?".

Well, quite. I'm not sure what "an active and passive voice" might be.

I could equally have said "an active and a passive voice". To be less ambiguous, I guess.

Another question for you, about "jeu de force basque" (I believe it's Herri Kirolak according to wiki).
Is it popular? Do you participate?

It is popular (not as football though) but I doubt there are many participants.

Considered as Herri Kirolak the sports those that have as origin the agriculture or fishing I would say that they are not very popular in the sense that there are not many people that practice them, people follows some of them, and move big ammounts of money in bets. For instance, in a big tournament of Aizkolaritza (wood chopping) as it is common in our sports participants receiving an ammount from the bets the winner may win between 12k and 18k €.

What absolutelly rules in Basque traditional sports is Esku Pilota (Hand-pelota) like Jai-Alai but instead of Xistera (this kind of raquet) they use their bare-hands. It moves many people and money, the courts may host 3000 fans, a top player may win about 120k €/year + 3.000€/match. But I don't know if we can consider jeu de force

Another Herri Kirol which is very popular is Trainerak, which basically is a rowing competition in a boats called traineras. These boats were traditionally used to bring in the day’s catch, probably sardines. In the current sport there are 13 oarsmen, and the competition basically is, the boat that arrives first, wins.

The other most distinctive sport is Harrijasotzea, stone lifting, here a video

Link to video.

Other jeu de force are Sokatira(tug-of-war), Txinga-erute (carrying a weigh with hands) or scything

If we forget, Trainerak and Esku Pilota, which can be considered professional sports, most of them are relegated to local festivals.

I have participated in some of them in some folk festivals in which the audience and young people was asked to participate, but not more.

Could you tell me what the Basque name Goicouria or Goikouria translates to in English? Goi means “high” but I cant figure out the rest. I greatly appreciate your response.

I don't think so, we only have a couple of catalans? I'm wondering if the current election in Spain is expected to change anything in the Basque Country. But the main issue at play is Catalonia.

Josu has not posted for three years so you may not get a reply.
Welcome to CFCOT

I decided to stop posting for a while in several forums, I continued reading the forum from time to time and I saw this post yesterday. I realised I have forgotten the password and I don't know which the email linked to the account because I have not received the reactivation email, so here I am, with a new account. I don't think I will post too much in any case.

Could you tell me what the Basque name Goicouria or Goikouria translates to in English? Goi means “high” but I cant figure out the rest. I greatly appreciate your response.

Goi means upper, Uria is a word used to define an urban core or settlement. So the meaning is upper settlement.
Basque surnames are mostly toponymic surnames.

I don't think so, we only have a couple of catalans? I'm wondering if the current election in Spain is expected to change anything in the Basque Country. But the main issue at play is Catalonia.

Focusing just in the Basque Country elected deputies nothing will change. The doubt is how many deputies will Podemos and PP lost.

If we consider a widder view, It depends on who is in the Spanish Government after elections, if Pedro Sanchez continues being president, nothing will change.
If there is a PP-C's-Vox tripartite we will have to wait to see if they dare to modify the Spanish Constitution and abolish the Statute of Autonomy

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to stop posting for a while in several forums, I continued reading the forum from time to time and I saw this post yesterday. I realised I have forgotten the password and I don't know which the email linked to the account because I have not received the reactivation email, so here I am, with a new account. I don't think I will post too much in any case.

Just saying hi and welcome
I love Athletic Bilbao :)
homegrown players, not big corporate, good football.

Good football? You have not seen any match this season, right?

no, not recently, from long time ago
I am an Ajax fan and when I was a teenager the golden years started of the 70ies and 80ies..
A bit the same as you

no, not recently, from long time ago
I am an Ajax fan and when I was a teenager the golden years started of the 70ies and 80ies..
A bit the same as you

Ajax youth academy model :love::love::love:

I am absolutelly in love with teams that fully support youth academies and young players.

Top Bottom