Ask a car salesman

Thank you, appreciated. However the opportunity to overstate things on the Internet places much responsibility on the poster to portray things accurately.

Let's just say we're talking second hand Corolla, not shiny new Mercedes. But it got me from A to B efficiently.

When's the best time to buy a car. I hear end of the year holidays and just before clearing out inventory before new yr models come are the best window.

What do you think of these articles:

http://www.cracked.com/funny-4620-the-cracked-guide-to-buying-car/

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-things-every-sucker-should-know-before-buying-used-car/

Specifically how would you react in this scenario:
Right in the middle of conversation. Mid-sentence. Just smile nice and big, reach under the lip, and flip that table up in the air. Then sit back down and coolly state, "I'm sorry -- you were saying something?"

Works.

Every.

Time.

For everything.

Oh, not with a quality used vehicle -- nobody promised you that. If you're smart, and you've followed this guide to the letter, you've just realized that every single vehicle for sale is an utter piece of garbage; overpriced and fundamentally broken, guarded by a zealous tribe of conmen who would rather chop off their own junk than come within spitting distance of a blue book. No, the only intelligent thing to do now is to leave with your dignity intact. Don't forget to turn dramatically at the exit and promise that they'll rue something -- almost anything will do: "The moment you met me," "the decision to cross me," or even just the boilerplate "this day" are all fine, as long as they know they'll be ruing something. Don't worry; it's all part of the dance.

When's the best time to buy a car. I hear end of the year holidays and just before clearing out inventory before new yr models come are the best window.

1. When you need or want one. Sounds blindingly obvious but really, it's the only true answer.
2. Yes, you can grab a bargain when the new model is coming out. But considering that it may not be that often that one spends, say, $30,000, that in the attempt to grab a bargain you'll regret buying the old model. In that case, it's not a good deal because you were blinded by the urge to save a few bucks and spending $33,000 on something you love may have been wiser.

Best general time is last few days of the month on a car in stock that you are ready to collect right away thus counting towards the dealers monthly target.

But I can't state strongly enough, a great price on something you don't want is not a great deal.

@Ace....sorry, gotta get ready for work, will need to have a closer look later

To be honest I've always kind of not understood the "untrustworthy car salesman" stereotype. I mean if you go in expecting that they want to make as much as possible then it's pretty easy to see through. That said, my experience is limited, I've only ever bought one car from a dealership and it ended up being a great experience. I went in looking at a PT cruiser they had because I had heard from several friends that they were surprisingly good cars despite their iffy looks. But since it was the first car I ever bought, the Toyota dealership basically refused to sell me anything that isn't a Toyota since the I guess the financing terms are better or something, anyway. The salesman talked me into a Toyota Matrix instead, which turned out to be a fantastic lucky break for me since after driving it for a few days I fell in love with it and am much much happier with it than I would have been with the PT. So the lesson to take away from this I guess is that sometimes, salesmen actually know what the hell they're talking about, they have a lot more car expertise than most so maybe listen to their suggestions, just take them with a grain of salt remembering that they ARE trying to maximize profits.

How do you react to:

1: Someone who you strongly suspect is just browsing and not likely to buy a car any time soon?

2: A really fat and smelly person on a test drive? I imagine that's not uncommon in Aussieland

3: A jerk who asks you to drive so he can test the ride comfort, and you notice he's checking comparable lists from other dealerships?

4: Someone who totals the car on a test drive?

When selling a used car that has a few problems, how likely are you to come down if the customer brings them up? Let's say they -- gasp -- check the brake fluid and point out it'll need to be flushed. Or the tires (tyres in Aussieland?) are going to need replaced.... If you buy a used car at auction, is the typical used lot dealer going to do nothing more than make it look right, or will they make it right?

Speaking of sex on a test drive, would that be a good negotiation tactic?

I'm really glad I didn't end up finding that out when I took test drives.

Do you always have a salesperson accompany a driver on a test drive, or do you let people test drive cars without someone from the dealership on the ride? I've test driven at places that do it both ways.

How do you react to:

1: Someone who you strongly suspect is just browsing and not likely to buy a car any time soon?

2: A really fat and smelly person on a test drive? I imagine that's not uncommon in Aussieland

3: A jerk who asks you to drive so he can test the ride comfort, and you notice he's checking comparable lists from other dealerships?

When selling a used car that has a few problems, how likely are you to come down if the customer brings them up? Let's say they -- gasp -- check the brake fluid and point out it'll need to be flushed. Or the tires (tyres in Aussieland?) are going to need replaced.... If you buy a used car at auction, is the typical used lot dealer going to do nothing more than make it look right, or will they make it right?

Speaking of sex on a test drive, would that be a good negotiation tactic?

1. The vast vast majority of people who walk in the door are buying a car, simple as that. Salespeople talking about tyre kickers are essentially justifying their own failings. And besides, I respect that it`s you doing me the favour not the other way around by even contemplating spending $30,000 on what I have to offer. If you need to go through a process to get to that point then that`s fine, I`ll give you the royal treatment and as a consequence, every reason to come back when you`re ready.

2.Why do you think I work so hard? So I can stay the manager and not go on bloody test drives.

3.He`s not a jerk. He`s buying a car. He has every right to check out other dealerships. But I have every right to do a damn good job, earn your business and close your ass.

4. Never happened but there is a $2000 excess. People test drive new cars like 90 year olds.

I really only sell new these days and a typical new car dealership will generally only stock late model used cars and thus quality is less of a concern. Every second hand car less than 10 years old/160,000km must be sold with a comprehensive, government mandated warranty.

What if some punk kid comes in wanting to test drive some fancy expensive car you know he can't buy?

Which is better for resale value of a car, manual transmission or automatic?

Not a care salesman, but I can say with reasonable certainty that the answer depends on the local or regional market trends.

Here in NYC, manual transmission is less desirable. So for me - who wanted a 5-speed and was not willing to compromise on my criteria - it meant that there were fewer cars available. In other words, they may have a smaller resale value when compared to an automatic, but the buyer is restricted to a smaller pool of potential candidates. So if you have a motivated buyer, you can get a higher price. At least in the case of a private sale - at auction or on a trade-in, around here manual transmission suffers a penalty.

In our specific case, we only were able to look at 4 cars that met all our criteria. This was over the course of about 6 weeks. We were not restricting our search to private sales (though that's what I preferred), and we were willing to look at cars within a 40 mile (50km, for our enlightened forum members) radius of New York City. Realize that there are about 25 million people in that circle, and you'll recognize the dearth of 5-speeds that we were up against!

As it happens, the car we did go with was almost certainly over-priced, and I would have spent far more effort in evaluating it before committing to purchase. But that's entirely my fault, not the fault of the dealer nor the fact that it's a 5-speed.

who takes the hit on recall repairs?

I would agree with Peter and add that the type of car can also impact on the effect of transmission on resale value.

Sports car? Manual is best. Family car? Hatchback? Auto.

Other factors that effect resale? Class of car. Large sedans would generally be the worst as you will find that government and corporate buyers buy them at a much lower price then dump them onto the used car market sometimes only a year later. Commercial vehicles (utes or pick ups as you call them, vans etc) tend to hold their value best. Brand, location, colour are all things that can play a part.

I tend to find though that resale is greatly overstated as a factor in the purchasing decision by buyers, often because it just seems like the smart thing to consider. The longer you keep the car and the lower it's purchase price, the less should you care. So you love driving a manual and are buying a $20,000 car to keep for 8 years....are you really gonna buy an auto and forgo the pleasure of driving a manual in the hope of being $500 better off all those years later? Of course not.

But let's say you are buying an $80,000 BMW on a 2 year lease and love the orange colour. No, stick to black, white or silver. That orange one is gonna cost you thousands when the lease expires.

@Bezerker....warranty and recall work are billed back to the manufacturer. However the labour rate and parts price is far lower than what a retail client is charged. So while warranty and recall work are a necessary evil and part of the franchise agreement, margins are slim. So don't expect to be a priority booking.

But let's say you are buying an $80,000 BMW on a 2 year lease and love the orange colour. No, stick to black, white or silver. That orange one is gonna cost you thousands when the lease expires.
When buying a new car, all the extras seem very costly and I bet you, the dealers, make a good profit off them.

What extras do you find reasonable and of value? Metallic finish(?), larger rims, more luxurious interior, any particular package deal, etc..?

What do you prefer: rear- or front wheel drive? Were the cars more fun a few decades ago?

For your pleasure:

Link to video.

When buying a new car, all the extras seem very costly and I bet you, the dealers, make a good profit off them.

What extras do you find reasonable and of value? Metallic finish(?), larger rims, more luxurious interior, any particular package deal, etc..?

What do you prefer: rear- or front wheel drive? Were the cars more fun a few decades ago?

Well I guess an extra is only reasonable and of value if you want it. I can't perceive any of them actually increasing the re-sale to the point that the addition of this item that you don't really desire outweighs keeping your hard-earned in the bank. On the flip side however, if I'm spending $80,000 and really want the $2000 optional rally fun pack, then by Christ I'm getting my optional rally fun pack (Antarctic blue preferably)

Rear wheel vs front wheel? I'm actually not a car fanatic, Formaldehyde is your man and he has his own thread. But under the vast majority of circumstances, rear wheel drive FTW. The best front wheel drive car I've driven in terms of fun factor is a Honda Integra type R....a truly uncompromising vehicle.

Top Bottom