Ask a Marine

Bronx Warlord

Squad Leader
Ok, I've seen a few of the " Ask a so and so " threads and I figure why not.

General rules and guidelines

A little common sense in your questions, please.

I reserve the right not to answer a question if I think it is in poor taste or inflamatory. Personal questions are at my discression.

I figure the answer to this is yes but..

Have you ever killed anyone? I always wanted to ask my grandpa that but never got the courage (He served in WW2).

If yes do you know how many people you killed?

Also have you been shot before?

Bronx Warlord said:
I refuse the right not to answer a question if I think it is in poor taste or inflamatory.

So you WILL answer the question? :confused:

Anyway, how much physical training do you do? (like push-ups, or rope-climbing, or...)

Have you ever killed anyone? I always wanted to ask my grandpa that but never got the courage (He served in WW2).

Yeah, as far as I will take that one.

If yes do you know how many people you killed?

Enough that it's not polite to talk about

Also have you been shot before?

I've been wounded twice, though not by direct small arms fire nor any really major damage. Both times I was back in action within a week.

Anyway, how much physical training do you do?

Depends on the PT really. I know in my unit we run or sometimes four times a week. Four miles at 7 minute miles. Lots of calistenics and every two or three weeks we go for a march with packs and combat gear. Often six to eight and once a year we do a 25er. Hand to hand combat training, some wieght ligting and rope climbing along with obstical courses. Training as well, running around and shooting, could count.

Typical combat load, depending on mission and other things 45 - 60 lbs.

Have you ever had a CO like Gunnery sergeant Hartman from Full Metal Jacket?

I had a small black guy from Alabamma named Miller. He talked fast and when get got angry his favorite word was m-f'er. He had a way of saying it six times in a sentance that I've never heard before nor since. Could run six miles in boots too. Badass Marine.

What is your favorite kind of pizza?

How similar/dissimilar is military life to this docudrama depiction? (yes, I realize its a different branch)

Do you get one of those shiny swords we see in the advertisements?

Is "semper fi" the only Latin they teach you?

Are you going for another tour of duty in Iraq?

Not for another year, I have enough time in and deployments that if I don't want to go I won't have to. The money and experance are great though. I do need a rest for at least six months. I've been thinking of requesting a sea cruse. something far away from sand, very far away.

IIRC, you've had one in Afghanistan and two in Iraq so far, correct?

I've done tours as a rifleman in both Iraq and Afganistan. I asked for and was suprised when I got a position for a short training and advisor position. That was diffrent, though I did go on patrols in the later stages of training and for a few weeks afterwards. I've been lucky, I know guys in units with no sgt positions open and they are going on tour two or three.

What is your favorite kind of pizza?

Thin crust, meat lovers or white. I miss NY pizza.

How similar/dissimilar is military life to this docudrama depiction? (yes, I realize its a different branch)

Well you can't " join your fellow man " like these guys are suggesting. Also you can't dance and sing as much. They are also pretty skinny for Sailors.

Do you get one of those shiny swords we see in the advertisements?

No **** bro, ya can when ya make Sergeant.

Is "semper fi" the only Latin they teach you?

Si vis pacem para bellum :)

Do the leatherbecks get extended tours ? (i.e 1 month more then army)
Did you have time to keep up with the news ?
Is the media coverage bias ?

Is the thumbs up the same as the middle finger in Iraq ?
Has the situation improved ?
Dose the US need more troops on the ground ?
How long do you think US forces need to be in Iraq ?

thanks.

Bronx Warlord said:
Si vis pacem para bellum :)

General Meyers (Fiasco) carries around "Marcus Aridious- Meditation"
Meanwhile Rumsfield got given "How to eat soup with a knife" from hes generals. As a get "a clue Bday" gift. :p

Do the leatherbecks get extended tours ? (i.e 1 month more then army)

If things get really hot, units have been extended and in some cases stop-loss placed on people. The DoN is pretty good about things though, least in my experance.

Did you have time to keep up with the news ?

Major events and such. For the most part I liked being away from the 24/7 madness that is the media.I hit some news sites once a week in country, just to keep up. When I am home I read two articals at least every morning with my coffee.

Is the media coverage bias ?

Yes, though I am not suprised as good news does not sell. Do I think it's some kind of liberal agenda? I don't care.

Is the thumbs up the same as the middle finger in Iraq ?

Yes, the bottem of your feel are insaulting too. Lot of little rules, things we don't care about in the west. Know what hand to shake with, light chat before business, do not talk about religion nor politics.

Has the situation improved ?

Depends on the part of the country really. Some parts of Iraq are quiet, some parts like Baghdad ( bad guy city ) and the Triangle are hot atm. Ebb and flow if you will.

Dose the US need more troops on the ground ?

If the US wants to really fix this mess then yes. Our current levels are obviously not enough, even with our training and technology. It's also not really fair in military terms to toss the Iraqi army into the frey if it's not ready.

How long do you think US forces need to be in Iraq ?

I think we will be in iraq for some time, if things turn around I hope we can send doctors and teachers instead of Soldiers and Marines. To do that, it needs to be a safe place.

Meanwhile Rumsfield got given "How to eat soup with a knife" from hes generals. As a get "a clue Bday" gift.

I've gone into how I feel abour Rummy :mad:

What do you think of the argument that once we start a war/conflict that if we withdraw before we "win" it dishonors the memory of those who were killed?

What was your most tense moment?

Trying to get medical help for one of my Marines. I always think, being a bit older than most Privates and PFC's, that I am responsible for someones kid, or husband. Never really worked with female Marines but if I did someones daughter.

What do you think of the argument that once we start a war/conflict that if we withdraw before we "win" it dishonors the memory of those who were killed?

I think war is a pretty horrible but sometimes nessecary thing. I think if we are going to make a move that effects the lives of our military and the lives of others should be seriously and strngly considered. Once the decision to use force is made, it must be used to it's full effect until you win. In the end war is dealing with and sometimes ending lives, there is nothing more important in this world, nor more serious.

I read only recently about DR's actions regarding the military (cutting forces, sacking generals). I was appalled by what I read and was wondering if your colleagues feel betrayed by these actions?

Also why did you join and are you glad you did?
And does killing make you feel like crap?

I read only recently about DR's actions regarding the military (cutting forces, sacking generals). I was appalled by what I read and was wondering if your colleagues feel betrayed by these actions?

It's almost military tradition at this point. Thank god we avoided much of it for ww2.

Also why did you join and are you glad you did?

Well I joined in the summer of 01, I've always respected the military and felt it was an honorable thing to do. The benifits looked good too. 9/11 happened, and it really woke something up in me. I'm glad that when my country needed me, regardless of political feelings, I answered the call.

And does killing make you feel like crap?

No

Are MREs any good? Are they like TV dinners?

Depends on the meal. Say no to country captian chicken. Chili and Mac is great. They are warm and packed with about 3K in calories and carbs. After a few days of them it's like lead in your gut.

Top Bottom