Ask a Russian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this proves that life is more complicated than HoI IV ;)

Yes yes yes, Russian tanks are offensive, Western tanks are defensive. Russian artillery is offensive, Western artillery is defensive. Russian guns shoot bullets, Western guns shoot little shields.

Well they were outnumbered heavily.

Soviets probably lied about their exact numbers but you don't generally attack when you're outnumbered that badly.

You can look at the basic designs of the tanks to figure out what they were designed for.

Or see combat results in places like Israel.

Well they were outnumbered heavily.
The who and where?

Soviets probably lied about their exact numbers but you don't generally attack when you're outnumbered that badly.
That badly wherewho?

You can look at the basic designs of the tanks to figure out what they were designed for.
True, but by definition a tank is an offensive weapon. So are other things.

Or see combat results in places like Israel.
Combat results of what?

I think it would help if you actually wrote down parts of internal dialogue, that is obviously happening, so that it is easier to actually have a discussion. But its your call.

The who and where?

That badly wherewho?

True, but by definition a tank is an offensive weapon. So are other things.

Combat results of what?

I think it would help if you actually wrote down parts of internal dialogue, that is obviously happening, so that it is easier to actually have a discussion. But its your call.

NATO and the west were heavily outnumbered by the USSR.

The Israeli used western tanks vs the Arabs. In only battle they went hull down on the high ground.

They had the gun depression to shoot down on the Arab Soviet armor. The Soviet tanks also struggled with gun elevation as well to shoot back effectively.

So you had "super Sherman's" knocking out modern (for the times). Soviet armor.

It's basically what mist of the post war western tanks were designed to do. On paper the tanks were close the gun depression, ergonomics and optics gave the western tanks huge advantages.

And all the Soviet tanks from T-34 to T-90 essentially had the same problem.

‘67? The Syrians fielded a few Nazi tanks which were quickly knocked out. When I say Nazi, I mean mainly Panzer IVs that were either bought from France or Czechoslovakia, the latter being the Frankenpanzers built from battlefield wrecks or spare parts initially in Czechoslovak service until standard Soviet equipment was introduced.

those particular tanks were bought from Spain .

the 1950s to 70s were the desperate fling thing was indeed the starkest . In 1962 it is doubtful the Russians could hit CONUS with anything more than 50 (?) nuclear warheads , America would hit back with thousands . 1962 should NOT have been the end of the planet . You know , the small print . The Red Army would desperately attack , to occupy territory that would have amounted to something like victory , while Rodina radioactively smoked ... and pressure on NATO to prevent escalation , knock out tactical nukes on the continent and open a gap in NATO airdefences to threaten London and Paris with nuclear extinction . Accordingly as the far fatter American budget went to nukes and a "nominal" armour programme across NATO with HEAT/HESH properties , the Russians mobilized their own bitter expreiences against Panthers/Tigers ... The claimed Russian armour superiority maybe started with the T-54 , was already ending with the '62 ...

the lsraeli experience is very generalized . It was jeeps and halftracks in 56 . 67 saw defensive Western tanks on the offensive all along the front and it turned into a massacre after terrible Egyptian command decisions . The Western armour of Jordan indeed put up the heaviest resistance but it was overwhelmed by air attacks . The Valley of Tears in 1973 is indeed a justified legend or something ... But thd effects of PR should never be ignored . Israel supposedly destroyed 400 Arab jets , 300 of them shot down air to air . The latter was revised to 220 i quick order . A few years back the first commander of USN Topgun programme had his memoirs , implying he was very ready to go , awarded some lsraeli medal for supplying planes and flying combat and whatever . And he says the number shot down air to air is maybe 85 ...

hence , the Egyptians massacring uncoordinated lsraeli charges with ATGMs and falling afoul of Syrian lack of progress to launch some unsupported general offensive into the hull down lsraeli defence with all the advantages do not totally support the argument that the West was ____ ( fill in the blank) in the tank game .

mao ordered the hunting of Sparrows to save the crops and his people like ate the enemies of the State and Mao still managed to create an anti-Soviet Alliance or similar with Nixon . Khrushev happened because a detente would be good as America had far better economics to run the arms race ; the guy's brilliance was in running the bluff . Accordingly Stalin could have still managed to a find a way to ease the tensions with Eisenhower , the honourable soldier elected President in contrast to the career politician Truman .

What if Stalin lived with his full faculties until 1978? (An additional 25 years, aged 99.)

If it sounds implausible, but Hastings Banda of Malawi lived until he was nearly 100 and had only been voted out a few years before that.
That's actually an interesting counterfactual. What if Stalin lived longer or was succeeded by someone with a international policy closer to Stalin. I think the Soviet Union would have found itself isolated very quickly. Stalin thought of the world in terms of Great Powers and Europe - not so much in terms of ideologies or independent Africa and Asia. For example, look at him throwing the Greek Communists under the Anglo-American bus. Without the Soviets actively courting anti-colonial movements, I suspect nationalist independence movements would have had an easier time staying on good terms with America, and America would have been able to trade on its own anti-colonial credibility longer without the need to sacrifice that in favor of propping up crumbling European empires in the name of 'anti-communism'.

Well, this proves that life is more complicated than HoI IV ;)

Yes yes yes, Russian tanks are offensive, Western tanks are defensive. Russian artillery is offensive, Western artillery is defensive. Russian guns shoot bullets, Western guns shoot little shields.
hedgehog_porcupine.png

“It is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.”— Acts 9:5.
:D

Some Russians hate Mondays too!
happy_monday.jpeg

This made me laugh.

If course the Russian food is nicer.

Fromwhate I understand the Russian rations from impartial sources do taste better. But the US ones and western ones in general are lighter. So it's a trade off in the field one tastes better the other is easier to use.

Our rations even lighter than US but are healthier. Lots of dehydrated food just add water. MREs can make you sick if you eat them for to long.

Pass from me. I would leave as well.

Great place to visit/very interesting though.

What's the most popular western TV show in Russia? By western you can assume I mean the European Union, Japan, the U.S. & Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and so on
As far as I know, original Western TV shows are not shown in Russian TV. There are multiple clones of different reality shows, talent contests, etc., which I don't watch. Clone of "Jeopardy!" is pretty good though. I occasionally watch Stephen Colbert and John Oliver, but they are not much known in Russia. Colbert was once invited as a guest in similar Russian show:

And what is the most popular Russian made show in Russia?
Aside of crappy reality shows, there are several old ones, existing since the Soviet times, mostly either intellectual or comedian shows. Not sure which are the most popular.
"KVN" started as a jokes competition for students, later evolved into more stand-up comedian style.
I like "What? Where? When?" - a quiz where team of experts must answer questions sent by viewers. The show exists since 1975.

As far as I know, original Western TV shows are not shown in Russian TV. There are multiple clones of different reality shows, talent contests, etc., which I don't watch. Clone of "Jeopardy!" is pretty good though. I occasionally watch Stephen Colbert and John Oliver, but they are not much known in Russia. Colbert was once invited as a guest in similar Russian show:

Aside of crappy reality shows, there are several old ones, existing since the Soviet times, mostly either intellectual or comedian shows. Not sure which are the most popular.
"KVN" started as a jokes competition for students, later evolved into more stand-up comedian style.
I like "What? Where? When?" - a quiz where team of experts must answer questions sent by viewers. The show exists since 1975.

English dub of Better Than Us was really good I enjoyed it. No idea how popular in Russia it is.

So things like the Game of Thrones or the Walking Dead are watched on Utube there ? Or do you have comercial foreign providers too ?

Edit, The Simpsons ? Friends ? The A-team ? They're more important for spreading Western Culture than the Voice of America and CNN :D

Last edited:
So things like the Game of Thrones or the Walking Dead are watched on Utube there ? Or do you have comercial foreign providers too ?
No, of course not, they are translated and shown like all movies. Just didn't think TV show includes TV series, probably misunderstood the question.
GOT was very popular in Russia.

No, of course not, they are translated and shown like all movies. Just didn't think TV show includes TV series, probably misunderstood the question.
GOT was very popular in Russia.

One of the videos I watched a movie theatre in Ufa was screening the season premiere of GoT.

Wouldn't mind seeing the movie Brat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom