1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask a Russian

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Gelion, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Lotus49

Lotus49 Chieftain

When are the Russians going to crack down on serious internet criminals in their own country?

2. Reno

Reno The Studio Ghibli Fanatic

Some questions of mine.

What is the general stance of the Russians on nations (and peoples) of the Baltic States and Finland? The most common opinion that I've gotten, when talking face to face, is that all four nations (And their peoples) belong to Russia. But is that really the overall opinion?

How is history taught is Russia, with regards to neighboring peoples and nations? (Mostly intrested in the direction of Finland and the Baltic States.)

3. Luckymoose

Luckymoose The World is Mine

I agree with Reno, I would like to know how History is taught in Russia. And how exagerrated World War 2 is. ;)

4. Tekee

Tekee Bahama Mama

History now paints a very postively about how RUssia has always been Feminist and taking saying that in the old days these were not problems of that time
    The Main focus is on the Swedish-Russian Wars and that includes the tug of war thatw as Finland anf the Baltic States
    secondly another big thing was the History of the Russian Church
    The Woman's Army
    And Early Viking/Byzantium Roots

In the Finish Direction hostory is taught about how big an Influence Russian Culture has had on development of Finland and Baltics states
    This usually is teaching about where Russian Culture has affected people

5. Reno

Reno The Studio Ghibli Fanatic

Apart from some loan words, I can't really see how Russian culture has effected the Finnish one at all. Since the major influences have always been coming in from Sweden, right until the early 19th century.

6. Tekee

Tekee Bahama Mama

Well I should use something else other then big but "what" effect it had, it mostly deals with the Swedish-Russin Wars

7. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

What about Ukraine? Do Russians still see Ukraine as a sister state, or a separate country with its own identity?

8. Gelion

Gelion Captain

Allright guys I will get down to the rest of your questions tomorrow.

9. Tekee

Tekee Bahama Mama

I do not know of any
    But then again I do belive that there is no Crime in the Internet as it is simply a way to Transport Culture.
    But one Criminial is the Pirate Bay
    It is Swedish Company but is Legal in Sweden, and has (Not sure what but things in Russia as well)
    But Sweden did Crack down on them since the pirate Bay was Raided even if they were Legal, so I do not agree with that
    But it's Russian Assets are untouched
    SO there will not be a Crack Dwon on Interent Criminals, unless they want to Raid a Legal Company

10. Gelion

Gelion Captain

Tekee you did not answer my PM yet.

11. garric

garric Chieftain

Personally, as a Russian, we'll start treating Ukraine and the other states as adults when they finally grow up and stop acting like children. That's just my opinion, but I'm sure it's shared by many.

12. amadeus

amadeus めっちゃしんどい

What happened to those token African students that the USSR used to indoctrinate? Are they all back in their respective homelands, or are some of them still in Russia?

13. garric

garric Chieftain

They are still in Russia; sometimes I am surprized to see a black man amongst Russians, speaking native Russian. They are a topic of much concern amongst Russian citizens.

14. Atlas14

Atlas14 "Sophomoric Troll Master"

Maybe its already been asked, but was Stalin's Great Purge simply Western propaganda or did the murder and displacement of hundreds of thousands of Ukrainian/Russian peasants and farmers really take place?

15. PersianBoy

PersianBoy Chieftain

hi thank you for your intresting topic
    I`m from Iran and our countries have a long relation
    I wanna to ask
    how poeple pf Russia think about Iran and iranians?
    I think many iranians live in Russia (respect to other countries)
    Iranian TV some time show some Russians learning Persian or Farsi,
    is it true and poeple like to learn persian?
    thank you very much for you time and effort.

16. Commy

Commy Chieftain

2 PersianBoy: hmm... don't know about Russians learning Farsi, but from 2005 till now I see more Iranians fruits in Russians markets than before. I think Iran & India will be our allies in SCO. I also think Russia and China won't let some western states to use forces against Iran.

17. Gelion

Gelion Captain

Well I believe it does work there. I think we have certainly the largest number of new millionaries this past decade.
    Me, personaly, I've traveled North right until Finland and South-East until mid-Volga river. So I would say that my home traveling experience is not that great, but still not bad considering the size of the country.
    I've been to a lot of interesting places and yet there's simpy too much to see. If I were to travel again I'd certainly visit a lot more monasteries up North (such as Kiji and to the East, beyond Urals to see what life is there. Trans-Siberian railway would certainly be my second choice after going up North.

18. Tekee

Tekee Bahama Mama

Yay Finland! I live next to it :mischief:
    and yes there is still relations with the Former Satilettes and there is alot of Irainian and Aberjikstan Products on Grocery:goodjob:
    And what's a PM?

19. Gelion

Gelion Captain

Private message.....I sent you one a few days ago.

20. Daw

Daw Chieftain

With Russian News tread, I feel this thread must be excavated, brushed, and put to use again.