1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask a Russian

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Gelion, Oct 13, 2006.

1. joycem10

joycem10 Chieftain

I was told its an insult involving a mother.

Malkin is the guy who left Mettalurg Magnitogorsk this season to play for the Pittsburgh Penguins after "allegedly" being forced to sign a contract with them. He waited until the team was in training in Finland, grabbed his passport and took off. Allegedly threats were made agaist his life and the life of his family by the Russian mafia if he didnt sign the new contract with Magnitogorsk.

The Central Red Army I was referring to was the hockey team not the military formation.

I've loved Russian hockey ever since the night I got to hang out with Darius Kasparitis (I know, not really a Russian) and Alexie Kovalev.

2. Gelion

Gelion Captain

Yeah programs are in place. For example the latest one gives the mother of second and third child the right to get 250,000 roubles (very roughly 7000-8000) dollars when the child reaches aid of 3. This is not only one of them.
    However the most important problem is security and stability. A lot of problems need to be solved so that mothers decide that having a baby is worth it.

Home made ;)

3. Gelion

Gelion Captain

Most probably was :)

Moderator Action: Swearing edited out, it's not allowed on this site. Also, English only please.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Brrr..... I never really followed it. I know Tretiak thought that the guy did the right thing if you want to know :). I think so too.

ROFL :lol: Well the more accurate term is "CSKA". Well I would imagine "good enough" because it is always one of the best clubs we have. But I was a baby then :) so I dont know.

Glad to hear :goodjob: Mind telling us more?
    And I hope the Russian hockey will climb back to its former heights so that we can all enjoy it. I did like our performance during the last world chmpionship.. lets see what happens.

4. Masquerouge

Masquerouge Chieftain

This was an excellent explanation :) Thanks!

5. Gelion

Gelion Captain

Yeah I'm kinda happy I got it through :) de rien

6. Phlegmak

Phlegmak Chieftain

Спасибо, Gelion.

7. joycem10

joycem10 Chieftain

I was in a "Gentleman's" club in Pittsburgh back when they were both with the Pens. Had to be late 90s. Maybe 99. My buddy decided he was in love with a stripper and blew his whole night with her. Kaspar was at the table next to us. He has a great personality, really outgoing, a real player. He knew almost all the girls' names and had two on his arm at all times.

He sent over a drink and we started talking. Kovalev showed up later with a couple of other guys. They invited me to go to a another bar with them. I ditched my buddy and hung out with them. Didnt buy a thing all night. Had a blast. Good guys. Talked hockey, Russia, Lithuania, planes (Kovalev is a nut for flying) and mostly women.

8. Richard Cribb

Richard Cribb He does monologues

First of all; congratulations with Vladimir Kramnik's victory in the World Chess Championship.:cheers: [party]
    I will probably return to this thread later, but right now I am just a bit curious on this:
    Could you be so kind and elaborate on this?

9. RoddyVR

RoddyVR Veteran Board NESer

Why did you have to correct joycem10's swear phrase? let him keep using harmless nonsense if he wants to swear in russian. i for one would prefer not hearing him use the correct version of the phrase.
    my personal experience with teaching russian swears was when i told my friends in the 6th grade how to translate the F word to russian, and after that they started using it... ofcouse the only one it made sense to use it "at" was me, and i was also the only one that actualy didnt like it... so all the way up to 12th grade, they never got any other russian swears out of me.
    i'd call what you did by typing out the swear reprehensable at best.

back on thread topic.
    what age were you when you left Russia?

10. Gelion

Gelion Captain

Пожалуйста и на здоровье :)

EDIT: Sorry Matilda...
    Translation:
    Thanks
    Welcome and "for good health" (as in "hope it serves you well")

That was fun to read, thanks!

11. Mathilda

Mathilda Queen

If you want to chat in Russian, please do so in pms.

12. Gelion

Gelion Captain

He won, didn't he? :D

Not that much, however I believe that greater understanding of the culture and the roots will help a lot of Russians find their place in the world, answer questions "why" and "what for". For now the new "americanised" mantality is just killing the health and country in general. Hopefully this will not be prison mentality of Stalinist times. I might formulate something bigger on this later.

You know I was considering this for some time. On one hand you want to answer the question, because for most foreigners it is "cool". On the other you know what meaning these swearings have and what consequence they might bring (especially provided that the facial expression is wrong).
    In the end I've almost never been able to teach any of those words and for the same reasons as you. It funny because I have no problem in swearing in English. Some of my friends believe I do that too often in "inappropriate places"... but English swearings never had any "moral bound" on me. Of course I swear in Russian sometimes, but mostly cautiously.....

Well I guess I'll bold this:
    joycem10 dont use that swearing!
    Firstly its the kind that can get you in trouble. Secondly you cant get away with knowing just one ;)...

15 and I came back more than a few times for short visits.

13. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

Good enough.

What about the foreign policy?

14. Gelion

Gelion Captain

Sorry if it was dissapointing ;)

What about it? Ask specific questions I"ll answer them.

15. RoddyVR

RoddyVR Veteran Board NESer

i wonder if its like that for anyone that moves to a foreign country during their life, or if its just russians? (i suspect its like that for everyone).

for me i think i came here early enough that now both english and russian swears feel like swears to me... the F word not so much as others strangly enough. for my dad, he just cant come to grips with teh fact that the F word is a swear, and not something funny. he doesnt swear and doesnt like it at all when other russians swear in russian, but if someone starts screaming "F you..." and so on at my dad, his first reaction is laughter.
    i think my mom is different, my sister must have conditioned her to think of the F word as a swear.

humans are wierd.. aint we?

16. Gelion

Gelion Captain

:lol: Thanks for bringing some humour... I can just picture this and the faces of those swearing foreigners :lol:

Its human... and thats what is nice about us....wierdness :crazyeye:

17. Gelion

Gelion Captain

Found another good news site:
    http://www.regnum.ru/english/

18. Whomp

Whomp Keep Calm and Carry On Retired Moderator

Gelion--There are approximately 22 of every 100 households headed by someone of Russian ancestry with a net worth of $1 million or more in the U.S.
    Why do you think Russians are disproportionately a larger percentage, than any other ethnicity, of millionaires in the U.S.?

19. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

That's what I want to avoid - simply outline your vision of ideal Russian foreign policy ;)

20. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

How is your economy doing and how wealthy is the average russian?