1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask a Russian

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Gelion, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald 老仁森林

Why do you think Zyuganov can't get more support?

2. Daw

Daw Chieftain

First, he is obsolete. He belongs to the "old school" soviet-type communist sort, so to say. It is what touches the hearts of nostalgic elders, but to the younger voters he's just laughable.

Second, he speaks funnily, with Southern-Russian accent. It is not a bad thing in itself, of course, but it makes him resemble Kopatych (a bear cartoon character from a popular series) too much for a politician to get any high. The character is cute, and kind, and hardworking, and overall positive despite being somewhat... emm... basic. Anyway, who would want a cartoon character for, say, the president?

Edit: found the cartoon series in English, nicely translated. Enjoy. Not sure though if they managed to keep the heavy "farmer's" accent of the Bear character to be still recognizable in the English audio...

3. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

They have some support in society, certainly more profound than pro-Western liberals. I think they will continue to be the main opposition fraction in Russian parliament at least until the end of Putin's 4-th term (2024, IIRC). But ruling elite won't let them take the power anytime soon.

4. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

Whatever happened to Russian basketball after the fall of the USSR?

5. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Syria exporting food to Russia ? I though Syria was close to exhausting it aquafier table
    I guess its winter in Russia so vegtable prices are expensive.

What is the Russian diet in winter like ?
    And during the soviet times, Red said they were plentiful of cheap basic commodities but you only got basics stuffs like bread and meat.

6. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

As far as I remember, there were good Ukrainian and especially, Lithuanian teams in 80-s. USSR probably has been putting more effort in development basketball in those regions, at least that would be logical thing to do. Without them, Russian team was weakened, obviously.

7. Yeekim

Yeekim Warlord

Cucumbers 12€/kg? :dubious:
    I guess sanctions against the West are working...

EDIT: Even so, I have hard time believing this.

8. Daw

Daw Chieftain

@ FriendlyFire: you can use grocery delivery online shop like this to monitor prices in real time. It has pictures, so there's no need to speak Russian.

lol, no way :D

Last weekend I happened to dine out in Ruza (a town to the West of Moscow). The dinner for 2 included:

- 1 portion of borshchshchshcht (борщ) - for my brother
    - 1 portion of some sausage & cheese salad (the mustard & honey dressing was good) - for me
    - 1 portion of some meat rolls vaguely resembling doner kebab stuff - we shared that
    - a portion of sausages with pan-fried potatoes - for my brother
    - a wiener schnitzel with french fries and some tiny drop of salad (for beautification) - for me
    - a tea pot of ordinary black tea (0,5 L probably, or something close to that) - we shared that
    - 0,5 L of beer (lager) - for me

Total: 1'600 Rub. (about £16, or about €20)

9. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

It's about 2-3€/Kg.

10. Yeekim

Yeekim Warlord

So the article is just flat-out wrong or I'm misreading something?

11. Daw

Daw Chieftain

Even "Азбука Вкуса" - a grocery store, which is probably the most expensive in Moscow, known (and mocked by common folks) for selling same stuff for at least twice as much money calling it "exquisiteness" - offers cucumbers at 7€/Kg tops, end even there you can get a kilo of Iranian cucumbers for 3€.

So it seems. Yeekim, you can go around with some Russian language, can't you? Try searching for "доставка продуктов на дом" ("grocery delivery") with yandex, which is better than Google at searching ".ru" net, and see for yourself.

Also, the article is not entirely wrong, there are correct figures, just they are put the scary way. Like bread, for instance. It used to cost 20 RUB, when the exchange rate was 40 RUB / 1 EUR, so it was 0.50 EUR. The price went 25% up, it is true. Now the 0,75 Kg loaves come at 25 RUB each, which is not a big deal as such in absolute values, but with exchange rate becoming over 80 RUB / 1 EUR the bread price becomes like 0.30 EUR. :dunno:

12. FriendlyFire

220 Ruble for cucumbers which is $2.90 USD
    270 Ruble for Russian cucumbers which is $3.55 USD
    22 Ruble for potato which is $0.29 USD per kilo
    28 Ruble for cabbage which is $0.36 USD per kilo
    390 Ruble for zucchini which might have been mistaken for cucumbers is $5.13 USD

368 Ruble for cheap meat $4.82USD per kilo
    660 Ruble for better sausage $8.63 per kilo
    1222 Ruble for expensive sausage $16 per Kilo
    159 ruble for whole chicken $2.09

21.30 ruble for loaf of bread 0.28

Prices look ok
    Potatoes are really cheap, $3 per 10 Kilios
    Whole chicken for just $2
    Entire loaf of bread is 28c

EDIT: Russian Minimal wage is 6,204 rubles a month or 207 rubles per day. which is $2.73 per day ..... umm can someone double check this ? :eek:
    Its not so bad as the staples are quite cheap. Also its winter right so vegetables are more expensive anyways

My best guess is prices in Crimea due to blockaid in effect and expensive transportation cost

13. Daw

Daw Chieftain

That's where corruptions/lawlessness come in handy. For quite some time there my official wage was 8,000 rubles per month and I got the other 1,500$ per month in an envelope under the table. No taxes, no deductions. ;) :goodjob:

And totally wrecked official statistics.

14. REDY

REDY Duty Caller

The prices should be high in some local shops where is no competition so sellers abuse situation. I think that source for such news should be actually valid information from some Russian office which controls prices in small towns and villages. Then its used in propaganda against Russia.

15. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

Taking articles from unknown sources with a bucket of salt, is generally a good practice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeni_Şafak

16. Daw

Daw Chieftain

From Sevastopol, Crimea (site of the shop the ad is from, and their youtube channel for other grocery types):

Link to video.

It's posted in June 2015 though, so the prices could have gone somewhat up since then, but both the blockade and crappy exchange rate were already in place then, IIRC.

Also, cooked meals delivery service from there, with prices.

@REDY: yes, I'd guess the prices in the article may be actual for some remote oil-pumping Nowheresville with nothing but permafrost and tundra for like days worth travel around where they have to use helicopters to bring food in.

17. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

Special effects, Russian-style :)

Link to video.

The clip made in zero-g environment, at space training facility in Zvezdny Gorodok, using IL-76MD plane.

18. FriendlyFire

Turkish sanctions occurred in late Dec 2015, which is pretty recent
    Along with Ukraine cutting electricity in late Nov 2015, with was blown up power lines. Food prices in Crimea are definitely worse then in Russia.

That food looks delicious
    Grill pork 150g is 310 ruble = $4.08 USD
    Grill Chicken 140g is 190 ruble = $2.5 USD
    The most expensive is the Lamb 150g = 850 rubles = $11.18 USD

Prices in USD are pretty cheap for us westerners, though I dont know about ordinary Russian, Crimean
    How do these prices compare with food in Russia ?

19. FriendlyFire

They dont call Ivan crazy for nothing
    Wood is easier to work then metal but it dosnt last as long, given the amount of work it took to make, kinda a waste to use wood. as Borat would say "is very nice"

Link to video.

20. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

What's this about a sausage and cheese salad?