1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask a Russian

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Gelion, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Gelion

Gelion Captain

Simple, productive and effective.

Man this is the best I can come up with for now unless you ask specifically what you want to know.

First time I hear about this and I dont have a clue.... it could be because they do better business? :mischief:

2. Tekee

Tekee Bahama Mama

In Wetern Half about as wealthy as anyone else
    But the east well like Brazil or China conditions
    I live in West so I am here on Civ fanatics :D
    So not so bad if you are in West (European half)

3. Gelion

Gelion Captain

Very broad question. Apart from giving you a link from CIA worldfactbook
    https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/rs.html#Econ

I can say that people who participate in new projects and suriving industries (such as high-tech industries) have enough to live day to day. Others are simply left to do nothing and as a consequence earn nothing. Wealth is very disproportional in the country and mostly concentrated in Moscow and St. Petersburg and a few other majour centres.
    This is not a bad article on the whole situation...
    http://www.wsws.org/articles/2005/mar2005/russ-m11.shtml

Over the past 5 years some industries reached their low point and begin to climb back up. Others are still on the decline. I think the best metaphor to describe the state of industries is like a man trying to keep really wet pieces of wood afloat.

4. AL_DA_GREAT

AL_DA_GREAT amour absinthe révolution

Does the moffia affect your daily life.

5. Tekee

Tekee Bahama Mama

Haha booo soon whatever I make money from will be bad and maybe the East is the place to be >_<
    Very bad since I love being close to Europe rather then like CHina or Middle East

6. Tekee

Tekee Bahama Mama

not mine but some people have Houses and stuff built by mafia
    but again these Problems arsie from the East,
    But I'm sure there are some Mafia Oil wells in Siberia or something

7. Gelion

Gelion Captain

Depends on who you are..... and if yes there are ways of dealing with things.

8. AL_DA_GREAT

AL_DA_GREAT amour absinthe révolution

If you own a buissness with 20 employess, do you worry about the maffia? How is the police in Russia.

9. CartesianFart

CartesianFart Chieftain

Is picking up a chick in Russia the same in the States?Meaning to give her a good time by getting high and getting laid.

10. Tekee

Tekee Bahama Mama

I only been with people that look like my Avatar
    (Emo's) :D:D:D
    SO really I don't know

11. Gelion

Gelion Captain

Depends on the person, but mostly the same. We're all humans.
    One thing to consider that a guy is normaly expected to pay for everything.

Police is a lot worse than in Soviet times, but they try. With regard to mafia and business, follow two golden rules:
    - have friends
    - know the rules
    and you should be okay. Its not the same as in some Western countries, but its a system that works like a clock.

12. CartesianFart

CartesianFart Chieftain

Cool.I have another question.

I have experience and a practitioner of being an electrician,construction of various field as a journeyman and would like to someday work overseas and hopefully live there for a little bit.

Can i easily adapt to living in places in Moscow and other places?

Will it be easy for me to get work beside my knowledge of Russian is near to zero?

Do most chicks in Russia speak english (due to the fact that if i am in a foreign country,i have to test not the culture but the chicks as well)?:D

13. Whomp

Whomp Keep Calm and Carry On Retired Moderator

The Russian ancestry group ranks first, the Scottish ranks second, and the Hungarians ranks third.
    Here are the figures...the Russian ancestry group accounts for only about 1.1% of all households in America, it accounts for 6.4% of all millionaire households. Russians, in disproportionate numbers, are manager-owners of small to medium size businesses here. One of the wealthiest families in Chicago, the Pritzker family, are of Russian descent. 11 of the family members are amongst the 400 wealthiest in the U.S.

What makes me curious is if it works here why can't it work there?
    Have you travelled through much of the country? Where would you go if you were a tourist?

14. Azkonus

Azkonus Chieftain

What are your thoughts on Turks in general?

Can you comment on Turk-Rus relationships:

-Blue Stream

-Huge amount of gas export from Russia with highest rates :)

-Antalya and Russian tourists in Turkey

-Turk states Azerbeycan, Kazakistan, Turkmenistan...

15. Tekee

Tekee Bahama Mama

They are probaly the equivilzant of Illegal Immigrants
    Sicne there are a lot of them in some parts but personally I do not care much for them outside of them giving Back Constantinople and stupid stuff like that
    I cannot say for other people but as soon as the older people pass away it will be a much different place :D

16. Trajan12

Trajan12 Chieftain

Why does Russia have so many hot young girls? Are Russians more or less rascist than others?

17. Tekee

Tekee Bahama Mama

I am only rascist when it will not offend anyone, really I do not care when I make a Rascist comment becuase people will always blame their porblems on someone else, Rascist but I think overall the country is more Racist

18. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Howdy

Four simple, likely repetitive questions:

1) Where do you see Russia in the world today? What about in 50 years time?
    2) What is a (typical) Russian attitude towards other nationalities in general? What about attitude towards minorities within the Federation? Attitude towards Americans? Asians? Muslims?
    3) Does the majority of Russians think that their lives are better now than in Soviet times?
    4) In your opinion, what is the greatest failure of the Soviet administration? What is the greatest failure of the current administration?

19. Tekee

Tekee Bahama Mama

1. If growth contues as it is it is said the be the Biggest Economy in Europe, or next to Germany, in around 10-20 years

2. American Sentiment is improving as hatred towards Muslims continues to grow, as with the rest of Europe, unlike Europe, Russiaans like Americans, there is little support for Anti-Racism,

3. There is now a Greater Disparity of wealth, well in the good days of 1960-1970,
    but there is great Wealth in Western Half but less in Eastern, Siberia, Asian Half, comparitivyl if the Avergae wage West is 100 dollars an Hours the average wage there would be 20$ an hour

4. hehe Soviest Depended too much on the Agriculture industry, not giving enough money and they had no interest in developing better industries
    So the lack of real development during Soviet times in the Greatest Downfall,
    Oh and bascially destroying the preivous Culture
    many Ancient Buildings were destroyed druing or converted to more Communism ideals, an Example is the Replacing of the Christian Cross with Communist Stars, banning religion and bascially expression of Culture.

The Current Administation is pretty stupid and Russia's speedy Development is in no way helped by Putin.
    The way to promote buisness is to lock them in Jail:mischief:
    So until we get a competent Leader we will just have to return the country back, gives us 10-20 years;)

20. Richard Cribb

Richard Cribb He does monologues

Yes he did, fortunately.
    I don't know if you followed it, but in case you will be aware of the dirty play by those Bulgarians (for many fans of the game "Topalov" and Danailov" has become swearing words!) and how important this was for the reputation of international chess. Under normal circumstances the match would have been much more one-sided, I think.
    No hurry, my friend. You partly answered my question in the sense that I understand your general message.
    I am in a bit of a hurry today, so I will have to come back to it later.
    Religion is something I usually hesitate to discuss, and my knowledge of Orthodox Christianity leaves a bit to be desired anyway. I can only assume that you separate between the religion and the church.
    However my opinion of Tsarist Russia is more firmly based in knowledge and unfortunately not very high to say the least (the cultural achievements excluded, of course). Knowing you as an enlightened individual I am quite curious on what you think was worth taking from it and bring into the 21th century.