Ask a Russian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found another nice music video of Alsou, a Tatar folk song "Dust of a big road".

Touching video. But don't ask me what the song is about - it's in Tatar language :)

https://themoscowtimes.com/articles/putins-bad-russian-conservatism-61501

From Putin's inaugural speech:
Нам нужны прорывы во всех сферах жизни. Глубоко убежден, что такой рывок способно обеспечить только свободное общество, которое воспринимает все новое и все передовое и отторгает несправедливость, косность, дремучее охранительство и бюрократическую мертвечину.

I understand from the article that it could be translated into:
"We need breakthroughs in every sphere of life. I am deeply convinced that such a leap forward can be provided only by a free society, a society that accepts everything new and advanced and rejects injustice, intransigence, ignorant traditionalism and bureaucratic stagnation.”

I guess that Putin cannot be that unsatisfied about what he achieved and his outlook forward.

But I hear here a frustrated older man, driven to get things done, time slipping through his fingers like sand.

Am I wrong ?

The translation is correct.
I think this should be understood in context - inaugural speech is not a proper time to talk about past achievements. He was talking about challenges he has to deal with in next 6 years.

The translation is correct.
I think this should be understood in context - inaugural speech is not a proper time to talk about past achievements. He was talking about challenges he has to deal with in next 6 years.

yes
I think so too
but that "intransigence, ignorant traditionalism and bureaucratic stagnation.”
is that Russian way to indicate that you have a challenge that you are confident to overcome, outlining to your fellows and people that you are putting focus there the next 6 years

or is it more wary... do I live to see it pulled through to a satisfying level
Not meaning to be rude, but Russia has had imo a history of stagnations

Where Stalin was important for a classic industralisation update
The challenge at hand is the 4th industralisation wave
getting the basics in place in your culture to hook on

Last edited:
yes
I think so too
but that "intransigence, ignorant traditionalism and bureaucratic stagnation.”
is that Russian way to indicate that you have a challenge that you are confident to overcome, outlining to your fellows and people that you are putting focus there the next 6 years

or is it more wary... do I live to see it pulled through to a satisfying level
Not meaning to be rude, but Russia has had imo a history of stagnations
I can only say my opinion, how I read it. It sounds neither particularly pessimistic nor optimistic, rather realistic evaluation of challenges the country and people must overcome in near future. The challenges are pretty serious and he is merely stating we all, not only the government, have to work in that direction. No, I think he is not confident we'll be able to overcome them, this is more like "we'll do our best and you should do too" kind of statement.

"One more time", a cartoon from Alexander Petrov studio, 2010

Is it true the Russian language doesn't make a distinction between legs and feet?
Yes and no. In colloquial language we usually use only the word "leg" (and "arm"). Like, "my leg hurts" may mean any part of leg, including foot.
But there are also separate words for foot, hand, forearm, thigh, etc., in case if you want to be more specific. They are just not so often used.

We also call toes "foot fingers". Probably sounds weird for English speakers.

Yes, it's about overtaking Germany and becoming 5-th by GDP. Still, ambitious goal in 6 years, but realistic.
Doubling GDP in 10 years was declared as a goal in early 2000-s, and this one was achieved, give or take.

That is nice, but GDP-PPP is useful to compare acquisitive power inside every country, but not between countries. It tells us about level of life and such, not about the size of each economy individually. That is nominal GDP. And there Germany could buy Russia a couple of times.

Both are important, but nominal is more volatile because it depends on currency exchange rate. Which, in Russia's case highly correlates with oil price.
There is no much sense in setting goals which depend on such things.

Overtaking Germany would make it 4th, actually. Russia would only have to overtake UK.
Nice timing with all the Brexit nonsense, but I still wouldn't bet on it.

Well. Maybe like ten bucks on three-digit odds.

Guess we'll see on 6 years.

Overtaking Germany would make it 4th, actually. Russia would only have to overtake UK.
Nice timing with all the Brexit nonsense, but I still wouldn't bet on it.
You are still looking at nominal. By PPP Russia is already quite far ahead of UK and only 5-10% behind Germany. So, the goal looks realistic.

About racism - just found this video in my recommendations, a first hand experience of a black traveler in Russia:

I also watched a video about Derrick Brown, a black basketball player who lives in Russia. But he doesn't mention racism, only talks about his adaptation, climate and things like that.

You are still looking at nominal. By PPP Russia is already quite far ahead of UK and only 5-10% behind Germany. So, the goal looks realistic.
In PPP terms Russia is already nr 6. Question isn't just if it can catch Germany (US, China, India and Japan are still ahead then), but if it can stay ahead of Brazil, Indonesia and Mexico? I.e. it might overtake Germany in PPP terms, and still end up nr 8.

PPP otoh works rather better as an indicator of what a nation can afford, the less it buys from elsewhere.

One way of gauging Russian wealth would be an uptick in its not-very-stellar PPP ranking of how things in Russia cost 0.38 USD in relation to what costs 1 USD in the US. (Unless it has had to be imported.) But that might hurt Russia's PPP ranking...

One way of gauging Russian wealth would be an uptick in its not-very-stellar PPP ranking of how things in Russia cost 0.38 USD in relation to what costs 1 USD in the US. (Unless it has had to be imported.) But that might hurt Russia's PPP ranking...
Not sure if I understood you correctly, but difference between domestic prices is exactly what PPP estimator accounts for. It tries to measure GDP in abstract bottles of water and loafs of bread instead of dollars which have different purchasing power in different countries.

On the topic of music... here is a selection of good music videos, but let's analyze every one of them:

1. Alla Pugachóva (not how her last name is spelled in English, but this conveys the sound better) singing "Iceberg" — a song about a man who is as cold as an iceberg when she is trying to show some affection to him. Pretty standard. This is my favorite song of her, and I like the delivery, but her voice is just not big or rich. It's not as bad as someone like Irina Allegrova, but it just doesn't compare to other powerful singers of her time.

2. Muslim Magomaev. A great song and rendition. He is a better singer in terms of legato and vocalizing than Alla, but his voice is pretty small, and when we compare his modulations (at the end), they are pretty underwhelming compared to even an average gospel/soul singer. If anything, this is a great mood song, but again I can't rate him on the same level as some great Western singers, unfortunately.

3. Dmitry Hvorostovsky was, indeed, a world-class opera singer for a second after he won the Cardiff singing competition. After that it was a road downhill. His diction has deteriorated to the point where I couldn't even understand the words he was singing in his native language (Russian). He peaked off as a singer at 25, sadly.

But Dmitry is an opera singer, and I was talking about pop singers, who are just utter and absolute trash in Russia today.

But Dmitry is an opera singer, and I was talking about pop singers, who are just utter and absolute trash in Russia today.
Most Pop singers are trash everywhere. At least you don't have The Little Turd from Stratford, or as he's more commonly known as Justin Beiber.

https://themoscowtimes.com/articles/putins-bad-russian-conservatism-61501

From Putin's inaugural speech:
Нам нужны прорывы во всех сферах жизни. Глубоко убежден, что такой рывок способно обеспечить только свободное общество, которое воспринимает все новое и все передовое и отторгает несправедливость, косность, дремучее охранительство и бюрократическую мертвечину.

I understand from the article that it could be translated into:
"We need breakthroughs in every sphere of life. I am deeply convinced that such a leap forward can be provided only by a free society, a society that accepts everything new and advanced and rejects injustice, intransigence, ignorant traditionalism and bureaucratic stagnation.”

I guess that Putin cannot be that unsatisfied about what he achieved and his outlook forward.

But I hear here a frustrated older man, driven to get things done, time slipping through his fingers like sand.

Am I wrong ?
My god. This is such a joke I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

1. "free society": really? People go to jail for reposting in VK, and election riggings are documented on cameras.
2. "everything new and advanced": lol? Putin struck a deal with the Russian Orthodox Church in 2006, which uses TV to tell people to vote for Putin. Besides, there is the concept of "скрепы" ("tenets") of the Russian society which state we must adhere to the Russian Orthodox traditions and not accept the new things coming from "Gayrope" (Europe) and "Fashington" (Washington). There is an open ideology against everything Western, like human rights, minority rights ("gays are an abomination against God", "tolerance will destroy Russia's unique culture").
3. "rejects injustice": haha. Our entire "justice system" is corrupt: we have unsanctioned torture in prison and army. Many criminals with connections walk away for free all the time. Don't even want to talk about it.
4. "ignorant traditionalism and bureaucratic stagnation" are literally the defining characteristic of Putin's regime. The country has stagnated in the past 18 years more than it stagnated under Brezhnev.

All in all, reading this hypocrisy makes me so mad I want to throw my laptop at the wall. I can't believe anyone can take this seriously. And by the way, the Russia economy has been falling in the past 25 years. It went from being in the top-5 to falling under the top-10. Countries like India, Brazil, South Korea, and even freaking Canada have now bigger economy than Russia. It is projected that Russia will fall behind Indonesia, Mexico, and Turkey by 2020.

What. A. Joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom