1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask a Russian

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Gelion, Oct 13, 2006.

1. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

For us it's mostly a remembrance day too, military parades are more along the lines "we'll never let it happen again". Some people like to scream we kicked their asses, can do it again and so on, but it's mostly young and stupid ones. God forbid we'll have to repeat all that.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  2. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Warlord

You cannot be too cocky when your looses have been so monstrous including civilians. USA or UK on the other hand were at the comfy side of the pond and scaped with relatively few loses.

hobbsyoyo and Socrates99 like this.
  3. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

Which is why so many Americans idiodically think war with nuclear powers is on the table. Would we win? Probably, but at a devastating cost.

hobbsyoyo, AdamCrock and red_elk like this.
  4. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Chieftain

Our day is for a military defeat not a victory so there's that.

5. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

Highlights from "Center-2019", military maneuvers with China and India participation.

Ferocitus likes this.
  6. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Warlord

That's the kind of response I'd expect if someone reported seeing emus in the region!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emu_War

red_elk likes this.
  7. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Chieftain

Looks good until it runs into team USA stuff. GI Joe.

Soz thought this was Cobra.

8. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

This is no joke, we are taking losses!

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/09/24/world/russian-navy-boat-walrus-attack-scli-intl/index.html

9. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

red_elk and hobbsyoyo like this.
  10. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Chieftain

CIA trained walrus.

11. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Are there any good WW2 books by Russians ?
    Iam reading Panzer Ace but there dosnt seem to be any good ones by Ivan, I tried to read red army sniper but it was pure soviet propaganda and worse then some of the biased german books.
    There must have been some good books writen after the fall of Soviets and the relaxing of publishing prohibition.

12. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

There are plenty of good ones.
    Yuri Bondarev - "Hot Snow"
    Vasil Bykov - "Sotnikov"
    Boris Vasilyev - "Dawns here are quiet"
    First three which came to my mind. All of them were also made into movies.

13. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Thanks I already read Vasilyev book the BBC did translation of it in audio format with actors
    Sotnikov hasnt been translated into English
    I'll give Hot snow a go, but book published during the time under Soviets had to pass strict guidelines in order to be green lite for publication.

Edit: it starts with Ivan surrounded and the commisar shooting himself
    I think Iam going to like this book

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  14. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

There is also Valentin Pikul novel "Requiem for Convoy PQ-17", which is quite famous and probably will be interesting for British and American readers.
    But I didn't read it myself, unlike the three books I mentioned above. All of those I read and can recommend, along with their movie adaptations.

15. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

If you see a ghost, pinch yourself. If a ghost doesn't disappear, pinch a ghost.

My girlfriend wanted to talk about our future. I spoke about quantum computers, teleportation and forcefields for half an hour, but she meant something else...

- Mom, what's that big and scary behind the window?
    - It's Russia, son.

AdamCrock likes this.
  16. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Chieftain

I had read translations of some Soviet books on lend lease. They claimed things like "lend lease wasn't significant".

But the allies were supplying a huge amount of fuel especially high octane stuff, food, clothing and 2/3rds of the Red Armies trucks. Privately Stalin apparentlybsaid the aid was critical. Lots of aluminum supplied as well, quality radios as well (1941'German tanks had radio, Soviet rare).

17. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

It wasn't very significant by pure numbers, but the importance of Lend-Lease was that it supplied USSR with rare materials and advanced machinery and components. Trucks were also helpful because they allowed USSR to redirect its industry to manufacturing tanks and planes. As far as I know, the current consensus is that Lend Lease likely wasn't a decisive factor in victory, USSR still could win without it. But it saved a lot of Soviet people's lives, probably millions.

18. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Chieftain

Yeah the Soviet people paid the blood price.
    The modern take here is it accelerated the Soviet 1944 and 45 advances, saved lives and speed up the Soviet victory. Fuel, trucks and food were the main things.

Post war it helped Soviet truck, plane and industrial design. Tupolov 4 was a B29 clone for example.

Opinion on Kursk is shifting along with the view on Stalingrad. Academically the view is leading toward Soviets defeated Germans 1941. Pop culture it's Stalingrad and Kursk.

Red army also advanced at roughly the same rate as the German blitzkrieg.

red_elk likes this.
  19. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

That's not a great example. The Americans tried pretty hard to stop that from happening. The Soviets stuck to their non-aggression pact with the Japanese which gave them legal cover to impound the bombers which they then disassembled and reverse engineered.

red_elk likes this.
  20. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

Reverse engineering was the only option to make long range bomber fast enough after WW2. Pre-war bombers were obsolete and a proper Soviet made jet bomber was only designed by 1950-s. I read Tu-4 had worse characteristics comparing to Superfortress because of differences between metric and imperial systems. Metal thickness didn't translate well to millimeters and Soviet plane was slightly heavier. It had different engines too.

There was a story that Soviet constructors copied even a can holder in cockpit, but that's probably an urban legend.

hobbsyoyo likes this.