1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask a Soldier

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Flying Pig, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Flying Pig

Flying Pig Utrinque Paratus

I've always been interested in history, though it's largely been after I left the army that I've had time and inclination to read a lot of any sort. As for prestige, that's a tricky question. It's certainly regarded as a more aristocratic service for its officers, and the institution as a whole commands a degree of respect, but I don't think 'I'm a rating in the Navy' gets you any more admiration (or any less contempt) than 'I'm an NCO in the army'. As for myself, I come from a place with no seafaring tradition whatsoever, and part of what I wanted from life was a chance to test myself. I wanted to try the hardest thing I could to see if I could do it. That, I remember, is what motivated my decision to join the Paras - there's no equivalent of that in the Navy except the Royal Marines, but they don't have much presence outside traditional Navy country, so I can't say I ever weighed them up as an option. Paratroopers were the hardest men of the lot and I wanted to be one of those. To this day I'll say that the spirit of always striving to be the best at what you do is a huge influence on me.