Ask an American Civil War reenactor

Coolest thread ever. I had a re-enactor come to our high school and the most asked question was how do you know if you're hit?(I wont ask but feel free to answer!)

Have you participated in a Gettysburg re-enactment? And if so, what does it feel like seeing Pickett's charge?

I wish they would make a new civil war movie. It's fascinating (I know it sounds dark) picturing thousands and thousands of men lined up in formation miles long exchanging shots.

Do you reenact with reproductions of the authentic equipment and uniforms of the era? What does your volunteer organization do when there's no reenactments scheduled? Do you or the volunteers make appearances in museum events or other educational places as a speaker to educate the public?

The reproductions are as close as possible to the real thing. As for what we do when there's no reenactments scheduled, there's a bunch of local historical events at museums and such where we give little demonstrations

Coolest thread ever. I had a re-enactor come to our high school and the most asked question was how do you know if you're hit?(I wont ask but feel free to answer!)

Have you participated in a Gettysburg re-enactment? And if so, what does it feel like seeing Pickett's charge?

I wish they would make a new civil war movie. It's fascinating (I know it sounds dark) picturing thousands and thousands of men lined up in formation miles long exchanging shots.

Personal feeling. You shouldn't go down right away, but you also shouldn't try to come across as the Terminator.

I've been at Gettysburg, and seeing Pickett's Charge was awe-inspiring, even with 1/3 the actual manpower.

There don't seem to be as many Civil War films as there used to be, but we're always waiting. I know I want a chance to be an extra one day.

How personally challenging are the winter reenactments?

Or is that season considered strictly 'winter quarters'?

Do you guys ever play base ball (that's how it was spelled back then) as part of your re-enactments? I know it was a big part of camp life.

How glad are you that you are just re-0enating the war rather than partaking of the real thing?

Very. It can get quite terrifying out there even when the bullets aren't real. I have no idea how they had the courage to stand on the lines.

How personally challenging are the winter reenactments?

Or is that season considered strictly 'winter quarters'?

There are a few winter reenactments, most notably Fredricksburg in Virginia. Never been to that one, though.

Do you guys ever play base ball (that's how it was spelled back then) as part of your re-enactments? I know it was a big part of camp life.

Only ever did that once. The other guys were surprised that I was a self-taught switch-hitter from my Little League days.

What do you think of The Civil War on Drugs?

I've just read Confederates in the Attic, in which the author travels extensively with reenactors, so "farb" -- I did want to verify its meaning with another, though, or to see if it was dated given that the book dates from the 1990s.

Do you have clothing to fight as either side? Down here Confederates often have to switch over to Union uniforms because not enough people show up to fight for the North.

Does your cost estimate include the firearms? I've been looking around on sutlers' websites, so I know the rifles can be $1500 all by themselves..

I was a reenactor in HS. Our unit was the 17th Mississippi Volunteers (I lived in Baltimore and my school was full of southern sympathizers). I was lucky enough to participate in the 100th anniversary events from Antietam through the Wilderness. Realism was less enforced back then and uniforms came in a wide variety of styles and materials from store bought to home made. The Gettysburg event was pretty spectacular and marching across open ground for Pickett's charge quite an experience. Our unit made it into pics used in the Gettysburg issue of Civil War Times. I still have most of my equipment, but no uniform.

1,500 is pretty hefty for a reproduction. An actual rifle from the time period wouldn't cost much more.

What do you think of The Civil War on Drugs?

I had to Google this. Not a fan, unfortunately.

I've just read Confederates in the Attic, in which the author travels extensively with reenactors, so "farb" -- I did want to verify its meaning with another, though, or to see if it was dated given that the book dates from the 1990s.

Do you have clothing to fight as either side? Down here Confederates often have to switch over to Union uniforms because not enough people show up to fight for the North.

Does your cost estimate include the firearms? I've been looking around on sutlers' websites, so I know the rifles can be $1500 all by themselves..

I can't afford a uniform for both sides at present, but a captain in our regiment has been known switch sides. At my very first reenactment, in fact, he turned traitor and a cry went up as we marched to the field: "Remember Captain Jones!" Some of the spectators actually thought we were honoring a soldier from the real war and we didn't have the heart to tell them otherwise.

1,500 is pretty hefty for a reproduction. An actual rifle from the time period wouldn't cost much more.

I got mine for $750, though it did seem to be rather used.

Yes, but you could shoot with a reproduction. My 1842 Springfield was converted from a flintlock to percussion cap and I would never even think about shooting a minnie ball out of it. Black powder rounds, yes. And frequently at reenactments. My musket is not in great condition and cost me $60 when I bought it in 1963. Recently I was told it was worth about $1000.

I had to Google this. Not a fan, unfortunately.
I've had some mixed feelings about it, myself. :)

I'll lurk on because this seems like an interesting thread.

During reenactments, what does your group do for evening entertainment?

During reenactments, what does your group do for evening entertainment?

Most of the time we just sit around the campfire and shoot the breeze. The really big Civil War entertainment event is Christmastime ballroom dancing. Surprisingly more fun than it sounds.

Will the final re-enaction be the sole one where the CSA wins? ;)

Not if I can help it. The South won't rise again on my watch!

So you're a damn Yankee?

So you're a damn Yankee?

Yep. Pretty much had to be, since I've found at least twenty Union relationships on various branches of the family tree.

What are the worst aspects of being a Reenactor?

Initial expense and practice time. Once you get the money and movements down, it's pretty easy, but it takes a while to get to that point.

Top Bottom