1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask an atheist

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Askthepizzaguy, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

Yep, 7th grade health class. They would evolve around it.

2. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

Tell me about the selective pressures that would drive this "inevitable" evolution.

3. SG-17

SG-17 Deity

Here is the odd part. Anyone's whose "parts" get too damaged won't be able to procreate and pass on their genes, only those smart enough to avoid damaging their goods. The ones who are smart enough to avoid damage won't have any need to develop biological protection, especially because they were smart enough to make their own protection.

4. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

FYI: most people don't just let themselves get hit in the groin.

5. Gangor

Gangor King

Do you consider Athiesm a faith? If not, why not?

6. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

Thanks for repeating what SG-17 said, Skwink.

7. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

It (evolution) maybe out of man hands right now. But who knows in the future man may try for a conscious evolution?

8. Cheetah

Cheetah Deity

I love echos...

9. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

Wow, that's a meaty post. I'm short on time, so I PROMISE I'll do my best to respond better later, but a few points jump out at me.

Hell is real, but the fire is (Probably) a metaphor. Since God cannot live in the precense of sin, as it is contrary to his nature, man can only stay in one other place, and that is Hell, the place where God is not (I do not know the answer to the inevitable question of why these people cannot simply be annihilated. That's something I just have to trust God on.)

I have experienced God for myself, so my belief is not limited to parents. Also, how do you account to so many converts to Christianity, particularly Evangelical Christianity, yet few (Whiskey Lord, you are an exception, not a rule) turn away from it, especially after truly believing.

It is true that a literal fire seems like something man would invent, hence why I think its a metaphor. That said, John simply couldn't understand what being eternally separated from God looked like, so he used "Fire and brimstone," as a metaphor.

Free will is a pretty controversial thing. Any way you look at it though, Hell does not exist for unbelievers, contrary to popular belief. Hell exists for Sinners. However, if we sin (We all have) we CANNOT be in God's precense. But Christ's Blood, and our belief in the Sacrifice, can get us there, since Christ died to pay for our crimes against God.

I personally believe in Free Will. I believe we have a choice to believe or not. However, it is not an "Open Choice." The right choice IS to believe, and choosing not to believe has eternal consequences (I don't know what happens to those who CANNOT believe, due to having never heard.)

I really don't know what to say to those who are logically convinced God does not exist. If you could at least get yourself to believe God existed, and then sincerely prayed to him to reveal himself to you, I think he would do so.

I'll address this concept more later, I'm out of time. But one last parting comment, I DO agree with you on Pascal's Wager. Saying you believe when you really don't won't get you anywhere.

10. Leoreth

Leoreth Friend Next Door Moderator

No. I'm saying that there is no reason to assume that the universe needs a beginning, while God doesn't need one. Or put differently, any reasoning for how God came into being could also be applied to the universe as a whole. "God created the universe" is only postponing the question of the cause, and the resulting question is often answered in a non-sensical way, or a way that defies the scrutiny previously applied to the cause of the universe (and yes, "God caused himself to exist" is one of those. That's not how causality works). That's one of the major reasons why I don't buy most religions' cosmological aspect.

@Askthepizzaguy:
    What a great post, never thought you would go such lengths to answer this question! :thumbsup:

@Domination:
    While I understand your desire to counter atheist statements in this thread, could you please stick to the topic and ask questions instead of making assertions about your own beliefs?

11. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

You can't be smart enough to avoid it, it just happens.

12. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

Aren't we like more than 50% of this forum?

Same reason you'd argue with someone that insisted the earth was flat. They're wrong.

(I don't start the conversation anymore.)

Nothing was happening prior to the big bang, there was no prior to the big bang.

No, atheists are not saying the universe is god. Atheists are saying there is no god.

Probably the same reason so many other types of people do.

I can't decide to believe something if it's unconvincing. Pascal's Wager could be logically bulletproof but sincere beliefs aren't chosen.

It's not a religion. It's not a faith. I wouldn't even call it a philosophy. It's just not believing in gods. Is not believing in fairies a religion or a faith or a philosophy? No, it's just not believing in something.

13. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

That has spawned three major surviving sects that have warred with each other, to varying degrees, to this very day? That kind of agreement?
    I thought the hotter the girl, the more responsive.

14. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

More than 50% of OTs regular posters maybe. But 99% of people on here don't even reveal religious affiliation.

Are you suggesting belief in God is as dumb as believing the world is flat?

15. Leoreth

Leoreth Friend Next Door Moderator

I hope not, that'd be stupid. I take his answer as "when you think someone is wrong, you argue with them". So really the same reason religious people try to convince atheists.

16. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

I have seen some atheists literally do that on here. I'm not saying Lucyduke is doing that, but some people on here have.

Second of all, I have no problem with an atheist sticking up for their view once its brought up or whatever. What I do have a problem with is atheists actively proselyting, putting up pro-atheist banners, whatever. I'm not saying its evil or should be banned, but it IS stupid, since, if atheism is correct, religious people aren't losing anything by being religious. However, convincing people could still cause pain in the family.

Religious people in general proselytize because they feel people have something to gain by joining said religion...

17. timtofly

timtofly One Day

Are there still people in this forum who believe the world is flat, or is that a non sequitur that others are accused of using?

18. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

By that same logic I assume you have a problem with fundies actively proselytizing, putting up pro-thiest banners, and so on. I'm not saying it is evil or should be banned, but it IS stupid, since, your view of my eternal damnation is based on believing in your religion and why should your beliefs appply to me?

19. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

This is the point <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< .

You are still over here

20. Sveon

Sveon Warlord

Maybe we get a well-deserved rest from nonsensical religious peoples angst, fears and lunacy?

BTW. Pray tell me how can anyone in this world with thousands of branches of faiths be so infernaly blinkered and self-righteous to belive that their little church is the right one?
    Any form of divinity would surely squirm with embarrassment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.