1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask an atheist

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Askthepizzaguy, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Did you consider that atheist people are losing something by living in a world with a good part of the population living under a lie (assuming atheism is correct). Try running for office as an open atheist. As society becomes less religious, tolerance increases and we see such things as slaves being freed, the general acceptance of interracial marriage, and the gradual legal acceptance of same sex marriage. Less religion is equaling more liberty, so by convincing people to not believe, we are moving everyone towards a more free society. This benefits the current elite and the born-again elite alike.

2. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

OT's regular posters are the only people I care about here.

No, but to me it is approximately as obviously incorrect.

3. Leoreth

Leoreth Friend Next Door Moderator

@Domination (crossposted):
    Well, that's your point of view as a religious person.

Your reasoning is actually quite interesting for someone who disregards Pascal's Wager, because you use a similar argumentation.

The answer is that in the eyes of many atheists, many religions contain aspects that actually hinder people in living. Religious rules, taboos etc. So provided God doesn't exist, maybe you have something to lose in believing in him.

So you see the argument can really go both ways, and as long as people don't agree whether God exists or not, both sides have valid arguments to try to convince the other side for their own benefit.

That said, I find extreme atheist evangelism appalling, but that goes for both sides really.

I can't speak for everyone here, but I doubt it. But I don't know what the fuss is about - it was just an example for something someone regards as false.

4. JollyRoger

Would we be better off if bin Laden had been an atheist?

5. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

If you feel athiests are 'losing out' and feel it is fine for you to make pro-theist banners, why is it wrong wen athiests feel that religous people are 'losing out' and make anti-thiest banners?

6. Leoreth

Leoreth Friend Next Door Moderator

His point is that theists are trying to convince people of a belief system that includes their access to paradise, while atheists are trying to convince people of a belief system that deprives them of this kind of happy ending.

7. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

We're also not afraid of hell. :dunno:

8. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I know what his point is. If athiests feel it is a happier ending to not believe in the Mystical Man in the Sky why is it a 'stupid' idea for them to make anti-thiest banners?

9. JollyRoger

They need to know the good news that they can actually get happy endings and only need to suffer a little death in the process.

10. Sveon

Sveon Warlord

Sort of like the hug after tasting the spoon in early years?

11. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

They have it wrong :p There is no happier ending than nonexistence. All existence is hell. For many people, nothing would be more comforting to know that hell ends at some point. And nothing is a more conceivable horrible ending than to know that existence is eternal.

12. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

Provided that true existence isnt some form of Bliss.;)

13. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Oxymoron :p

14. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

Unless it just seems so. (an illusion?):D

15. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

No, because atheism is simply not believing there are gods. Religion takes faith and there are religions that do not have gods (and are therefor atheist) like many forms of Buddhism.

16. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

Here's the secret: How do you know to avoid damage to your privates?

You hurt them at some point in life, doing something or other. Everyone's had it happen.

17. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Yes but you usually don't hurt them enough to affect reproduction.

18. GamezRule

GamezRule Inconceivable!

What does getting hit in the gonads have to do with atheism?

19. MikeL49NYVI

MikeL49NYVI Warlord

One of the questions of the ages. I really wish I had a definitive asnwer or a response here. But this is one of those real difficult ones that we have to take with at least a measure of faith. Over the years, as a Christian, I have grown in understanding of the nature of God, and His Word (The Bible) Faith is like that, you can build upon it, and it gets stronger. But at some point we have to admit that we have only a finite understanding of what is going on in the universe, and God sees things with a different viewpoint than we do.
    That in itself is easy to understand, everyone sees things from their own viewpoint. Just look at all the dicussions in these posts.
    But to take things from God's perspective, now that is a tough one.
    So we accept some things on faith, just because God says it is so. And we trust Him because He has proven Himself to us to be complety trustworthy, and faithful to us.
    The point is that there is something in the nature of God, that allowed evil to happen in His perfect creation. The Bible is clear that God didn't create this evil, His highest creation, Lucifier did.
    How that happened, and how it was possible, I just do not know. I speculate that it has something to do with the nature of love, and free choice. I can even lay it out step by step. But until I get a chance to ask God myself about it, or I am given more understanding about it, I cannot give you the solid answer.
    Like I said, this is one of the questions of the ages and has been a stumbling block for people to accept, or even considering accepting the existance of God. But then again, God wants us to take a step of faith towards Him. It has always been that way.

20. MikeL49NYVI

MikeL49NYVI Warlord

El_Machinae I had meant to back to you on this one: This would make a very interesting topic, maybe even it's own thread. People who have changed going one way or the other, and why. But if it is not to personal, I'd like to know more

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.