1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask an atheist

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Askthepizzaguy, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

Because I have risen above them. (The beliefs, not the people)

2. cardgame

The Universe has always existed. I still don't see how God can exist without a creator.

Nothing good comes from spontaneous generation.

The Big Bang is quite easy to defend logically. Through redshift we have observed that the universe is constantly expanding in the same direction: out. Thus, it must be expanding from something.That something is hypothesized to be the Big Bang.

3. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

It's not an act.

4. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Yep. And utilizing gravitational lenses, the most redshifted galaxy we can see is about as old as equations postulate the universe to be. Around 13.6 byo I think.

5. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

You think this, but the world is only 15,000 years old:p

6. cardgame

You think this, but the world is actually 4.6 byo

7. SG-17

SG-17 Deity

It is the only way to be when other people behave like they don't even have brains.

8. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton One. And many.

This is the best answer. I personally don't act elitist in rl because there is no point (not efficient to convince people) to it and it will just cause bad feelings.
    But inside my heart I will still feel elitist regarding this issue. Because realizing how stupid most of religion is, is not hard. It requires a minimum of understanding and knowledge. And it pains me that so many people fall so willingly for it nevertheless. It doesn't make humanity look very good. And it angers me that this creates a topic I can not talk openly about to anyone taking their religion at least fairly seriously. It is like there is a group out there which collectively abandoned reason in a specific part of their life and collectively gets angry when one dares to criticize that. It's crazy and shameful.

9. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

There is a difference between the age of the universe and the age of the world. We know the age of the universe has to be over 5 by because that is around how long our sun has been around and it is a second generation star. We know that because there are heavy elements on earth that are only created by novas.

10. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

The universe has always existed.

11. SG-17

SG-17 Deity

For time did not exist before the universe.

12. Whiskey_Lord

Whiskey_Lord Deity

Yes. All of the cool people are in hell, like George Eliot, and Oscar Wilde, and Thomas Paine. Heaven will have people like Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson.

I would think that any reasonable god (big assumption, I know) would have more respect for a sincere non-believer than an insincere believer.

Because the 'nothing' is actually 'something.' I posted a lecture by Lawrence Krauss in the youtube thread on this. Krauss explains that the universe has always existed because the 'nothing' (dark matter) is actually 'something.' We can deduce the nature of our universe from the way things move within it. He explains it better than I can. Watch it if you ever have an hour to kill.

13. cardgame

For time is relative.

14. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

Is Not!:p

Ignoring for a moment that my comment was a joke (And that I don't actually KNOW how old the Earth is...), we really don't know this. God could have easily, at least in theory, accelerated the "Age" of the Sun to make the planet habitable.

I'm not saying this is what happened (In "Ask an Atheist" I'm not really able to, even if I wanted too) but it is a possibility.

That said, I need to read Genesis more carefully, I'm not really sure what it says about the Universe, I just know it says the Earth, as we know it, was created in six days (The Earth was "Without Form" before that, so there was seemingly something there...)

15. Whiskey_Lord

Whiskey_Lord Deity

Nonsense. It is quite clear that god artificially enhanced the age of the universe after its creation in order to test our faith.

16. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

My point here was that doing so would be necessary for humanity to live...

And besides, it is made quite clear that the world was made supernaturally in the Bible. To assume the time that the world appears to be is the same time as has actually gone by is illogical...

17. cardgame

No, to assume that all of modern science is incorrect in favor of an ancient religious text is illogical.

18. CELTICEMPIRE

CELTICEMPIRE Zulu Conqueror

radiometric dating=pseudoscience, I will put my faith in the one text agreed on by people for thousands of years while other religious texts of the time have gone extinct.

19. holy king

holy king Deity

you're hindu?

20. SG-17

SG-17 Deity

You obviously have no idea what science is or isn't.

As well the Bible has never been completely agreed on by Christians for thousands of years. Why else were parts of the book redacted, re-added, amended, etc?

Other religions have gone extinct because they were slaughtered, for the most part, by people of the Abrahamic faiths. Or it was made advantageous either politically or socially to "convert" to Christianity.

As well Hinduism is somewhere near 1000 years older than Christianity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.