1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask an atheist

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Askthepizzaguy, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

I have a question for an atheist. Who is going to start the next thread? ;)

2. erez87

erez87 Lord of Random

Not trying to get you away from your faith. Just stating things that might be hard for yo to hear. And they will. It's the reality for a theist in a religious discussion - the reality that his god is most likely not real. Can't say it isn't real, but chances are...

So you believe in god, but accept the fact that the concept has no evidence, isn't based in reality or logic and perhaps could never be proven or disproved? Than you sir are by definition an Agnostic Theist. Which is a great start.

There is no physical difference between earthquakes and thoughts. Both are natural phenomena that are explainable by physics and chemistry. Science altogether. Saying god influences thoughts is no different than saying god influences earthquakes - both are visible phenomena that can be tested in a lab - and if god influences one of them, his influence should be seen. It isn't. If it were - god would have had evidence. It doesn't.

Any claim of god meddling in any way (no matter how small) in the natural world must include vast research into the subject to show it is the work of god. There is no such vast research. There is none. That's actually why I don't believe in god - there is no physical existence of such a being (none ever shown in hurricanes or brains), than why would anyone choose to have faith in something that has no baring on our world and has nothing to do with it?

If I ask you if you believe in god, I assume your answer will be yes. But if I ask you if god exists - what will you answer?

Yes I know that is what faith is. Claiming true that is which is not true or never proven to be true. That's also a description of dishonesty - claiming something is true without or against the evidence. If you claim god is true than you are being dishonest. If you only say you believe in god, but agree there is no reason to believe it is a true thing, than you are a honest believer. One of very few that I know.

It's OK dude :) I just enjoy the discussion. Come at your own free time.

And someone else can start a new thread :p

3. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

I started an ask an agnostic thread (just bumped). Is that good enough?

4. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

The origin of the next thread will have naturalistic explanations.

5. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

When two threads love each other very much ...

6. Puck Nutty

Puck Nutty Prince

7. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Moderator Action: Whichever atheist wants to, if they don't feel the agnostic thread is sufficient.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.