1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Attacko's Ice Archers

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by troytheface, Apr 21, 2009.

1. troytheface

troytheface Deity

A quick review of an Ice City first build, and subsequent elimination of an enemy using a first attack of archers.

starting location, headed north and found an ice tile, warrior set on explore. Monarch, Standard, Fractal, Random, Washington.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  2. troytheface

troytheface Deity

Warrior finds Ragnar south, pretty far down south. no way enough archers can get there in time but no matter, the ice archers army starts to build, the city start teching hunting, archery, mining, bronze, writing, etc.

the warrior waits, snags a worker, and the march is on.

Secondary city, three archers and a warrior take it,

Attached Files:

3. troytheface

troytheface Deity

A back second city, not optimal, but another is taken, horses are found, no metal nearby, (but since the archer is sufficient no need, as a matter of fact the stupid horse was close by, but by that time found horseback riding was not far away- so archers and horses to finish the viking off.

arches now act as a lure, Ragnar attacks the archers, horsearchers counterattack and mop up

this has been a service of the Attacko Broadcasting Station

Attached Files:

4. Tompa

Tompa Chieftain

You're getting 17 BPT by 1000AD? Good luck with that.

5. troytheface

troytheface Deity

charlegmange landed on the continent- but he ghengis, and darius were next door-
    Babylon was behind in tech and somewhere isloted east, traded tech - popped alpha, and a few others, spy stole something from charlemange, and outdated ice horsearchers pushed charlemange off continent.

this was the superior

Attached Files:

6. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

And your tech situation is a lot better, 40BPT in 1180AD during a golden age, that's impressive. Currency nearly done. Incredible ;)

7. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

I assume this is Marathon speed. Spamming archers is almost unavoidable on that speed, IMO.

8. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

It's normal speed, turn 178 is 1180AD.

9. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Ok, thanks. I wasn't very observant!:blush:

10. blitzkrieg1980

blitzkrieg1980 Octobrist

Wtf is this? Perhaps I am missing something. Who is this "attacko" guy and why would he suggest archer rushing and settling 1st city on ice and getting some ludicrously horrible tech rate.....

okay, I'm definitely missing something here.

11. kossin

kossin Deity

@blitz

It's a running 'joke'. Check out the War Academy for even more hilarious threads. Or just use the search function.

12. blitzkrieg1980

blitzkrieg1980 Octobrist

Ah! I was missing something! :D

13. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

@Troy - Are you going to win this game?

14. Stoney the I

Stoney the I Prince

If he has Attacko on his direct-line red phone i dont think he can loose.

can he?

15. troytheface

troytheface Deity

taken from "Attacko's 101 Most Memorable Games".

i assume either diplomatic, domination, space race or cultural victory.
    unless it was from chapter 4 entitled, "Horrific Defeats and Watermills"

However, i think the point here is that when building on an ice tile preferable is one with a resource on it and better yet silver, a river and fish and archers are the superior.

16. Insanity_X

Insanity_X Warlord

hey Trattacko, can you attatch a save so we can see how your superior strategies and ice archers have paid off for you so that we may better ourselves from your immortal wisdom.

17. Don Carnage

Don Carnage Chieftain

Kudos to Attacko for another splendid guide!
    I can't believe how you are dominating such a strong leader as Ragnar. Ice archers clearly seems to be the way, if you are lucky enough to start near the poles.

Regarding the bpt rate: a rounded player like Attacko has experience with a lot of different strategies, enabling him to perform well under various sub-par conditions, which is good when you play random maps, leaders or multiplayer. What he's demonstrating here is that science is not necessary to dominate in early/mid game, ingenuity and man-power is. By feigning a disinterest in technology, his score will be kept low, thus preventing the AI from attacking or sending spies. Also the seemingly sub-optimal placement of the capital is a clever stroke. If you have crappy cities, the AI or other human player will have nothing to gain by invading.

MAvL likes this.
  18. blitzkrieg1980

blitzkrieg1980 Octobrist

I'm sorry, but I play on PRINCE (ie low level) and there's no way anyone's surviving when they don't have currency in 1180 AD and have 1/4 the score of another AI. Especially when you've DoW on that AI to kick him off your continent. Don't worry, he'll be back. And archers/horse archers ain't gonna help you.

Also, this "archer rush" isn't working for more than 1 or 2 invasions on any Prince level map I've played on (that's standard+). So I'm not sure how he's into the 1000's AD and winning with Horse Archers. Suicide units? How many must you have?! How are you not in the red at 0% science?

I got the whole thing when you guys said it was an inside joke, but Don Carnage seems to think this is all very smart!

EDIT: I've obviously stumbled into an extremely sarcastic thread.... pardon me :blush:

19. Bleys

Bleys Deity

:agree:

Dude had 2 practice posts, then NAILED it on his 3rd, LOL. Well done Don, well done indeed.

20. Insanity_X

Insanity_X Warlord

agreed. i still want to see the save though. surely he cant actually be researching currency while the other AIs have astronomy (charile moved to his continent, so presumably has it) and only getting 40bpt in a golden age. NOBODY can be that bad.