Attacko's Ice Archers

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by troytheface, Apr 21, 2009.

1. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

??? It's a viable archer rush walkthrough with a clear showing of cost/benefits.

MAvL likes this.
  2. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

Horse archers are doing the heavy lifting.

3. SlipperyJim

SlipperyJim Prince

Guys, if you aren't getting the joke after this post, then there is no hope for you. :)

4. troytheface

troytheface Deity

Fact- Combat promoted Ice Archers - barracks first build -can take any civ's second city at worst, capitol at best.

Fact- The "Let them build towards you and destroy them " theory formulated on civ3 multiplayer works as a kill device in civ4 single player

Fact- Asoka, Ghandi ,Pascal, Catherine,some others- if close by can be eliminated
    by an archer rush at high levels on standard

Fact- Eliminating others close by on higher levels with archers is the superior

5. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

I was going to post something about the title of this thread soundding like a name of one "on ice" shows , but I decided not to :p

And about having 17 bpt @ 1000 AD ... I had been worse by that time and still won games in levels higher than the one the OP is playing. But I would still like to see a save :p

6. troytheface

troytheface Deity

yes, this "british petroleum technician" concern is so preposterous that it is best left alone.

If the research rate and money is the concern
    then two merchant cities, two science cities, two make great people cities and the capitol set to espionage. tech trade with the inferior, religious conversion, and tech stealing.

7. Yamps

Yamps Deity

lolz...:lol: I think this threads definitely needs a scoring boost.

Rusten demonstrated an efficient Horse Archer rush on Deity normal speed lately. Perhaps he's been reading Attacko's (lost) guides?

Keep on the good work! :rotfl:

8. Kornaki

Kornaki Warlord

Don't you think you're being a bit restrictive? Why don't I just have x in a module and the coefficients members of its ring? It simplifies everything. This is probably the missing link to interpreting Attacko's strategies properly.

I don't think people are seeing the tile efficiency of building the city on the ice tile so as to boost its value. Desert archers is a similar tactic that also operates under the same underlying principles. In fact, draw a Venn Diagram with the ice and the desert starts (which we can do since it's binary), and see when you use both you get double power archer combat for efficient victories

9. SlipperyJim

SlipperyJim Prince

At the risk of undermining the joke, there is actually one good idea on this thread: Ice Cities.

Wait, wait ... let me explain!

If you're going to build a city in the Frozen North (or South), then you might end up with an Ice tile in your planned city's BFC. Ice tiles are worthless, right? Well, if you build your city on the Ice, then the "worthless" Ice tile becomes a 2:food: / 1:hammers: / 1:commerce: tile like most other city centers.

(The same principle holds true when founding a city in the desert.)

Of course, there has to be some reason for you to found a city in the Ice. Otherwise, that 2:food: / 1:hammers: / 1:commerce: city-center isn't going to be worth the added maintenance. Presumably, you're chasing after some valuable resource (Marble, Oil, whatever), or perhaps you're establishing a defensive perimeter against the barbarians. There should be a good reason to justify asking your citizens to live in the arctic waste. ;)

10. The Rook

The Rook King

Fact- Ice is cold. Could be a metaphor for Sushi.

11. Kornaki

Kornaki Warlord

Fact - all ice tiles are surrounded by 20 river grassland and coastline tiles (and the city's always built with lighthouse attached of course), and a variety of food resources to ensure that you can work every tile quickly. Another reason the ice archer strategy is so effective, you know your city won't have terrible tundra and tundra hill tiles that prevent it from using all the tiles. This is why it's so important to not settle near the ice (preventing you from reaching maximum potential) but on the ice instead

12. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

I have to admit being a bit hazy on module theory, we only did a 10 week course on rings and factorisation. Does the module have to be finitely generated? That restriction would rule out Z\{+/-1} which would need all the primes in Z to generate I believe. Note: I am using \ as the set difference operator here rather than the factor group notation /, i.e. don't confuse it with Z/2Z say unless you want us all to :lol:.

EDIT: I'm such a noob, factor groups use / rather than \.

I think primes are the superior to the binary myself.

13. Kornaki

Kornaki Warlord

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Module_(mathematics)

Of course, it's implicit the module is a ring also (as there's a multiplication operator between elements) but that's clear from context

14. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

What are you saying? That Attacko is one of those woosie cottage builders that saves his game so he can reload? Just pray that you don't meet him in multiplayer after this insult.
    Of course there aren't any Attacko saves. He would never reload and always wins his games in one session.

MAvL likes this.
  15. troytheface

troytheface Deity

Fact- In wars- it is usually the civilization north that wins.
    germany vs France, US Civil War, mongols vs china

Fact- heading out towards ice = iron resource. Civilizations with unique units that
    require iron take note.

Fact- Beaver, Silver, Whale, Fish and Deer available= more than enough resources

Fact- Attacko is oft times referred to as "the Tal of Civ4"

16. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

1- I am not afraid of any player.... the worse it can happen is losing, and you can lose for a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with your skill in the game :D

2- There are always autosaves :p

17. troytheface

troytheface Deity

"There should be a good reason to justify asking your citizens to live in the arctic waste."

as you stated building on ice gives you a sufficient yield. However, an ice river and fish or crab would be optimal

also specific resources- other AI are less likey to have...

the first city is usually a production and population strongpoint.

Since one usually moves the capitol (some don't-) it is the secondary city that should assume this role. And the lower population and production out of the way Ice city- being the first build- is upped from a throw-away land grab into a production site.

And too i think the programmer's unconsciously made Ice archers stronger than regular archers through venn dynamics

and rolo may have seen bits of "The Lost Articles of Attacko" - he may be a spy for the cottage builders.

18. SlipperyJim

SlipperyJim Prince

Ah, how could I forget the venn dynamics? Of course! Ice Archers are always stronger because of venn dynamics! :lol:

19. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

Huh I thought a module was like a ring but doesn't require a multiplicative identity (even numbers form a module under addition and multiplication)???

EDIT: Nope, I'm thinking of something else.

Of course Attacko theory requires Venn diagrams to have even numbers of sets so this is important.

I was thinking of starting an Attacko Theory thread so the latest breakthroughs in Venn Diagram and Attacko Algebra can be properly formalised since we are really only inferring snippets from the master.

20. Belisar

Belisar Defender of Byzanz

indeed! A true sign of overhelming foresight.

keep it coming