Autism

If I stay in touch with you for the next two years, I will get you insurance and such (if the grants allow of course). I'll fly you out to Columbus, on the condition you help me in my research thesis on the causes and effects of Autism. :) And if you don't, that's just as cool.

classical_hero said:
Isn't Xen also Autistic? You are not the only one who has this problem, so do not think that you should be alone.
That's weird...
Keirador said:
My little cousin just got diagnosed with Asperger's, like Erik Mesoy has. She's not nearly as capable or functioning as you are, Vietcong. I hope she comes to terms with her identity and makes as much of herself as you already have.
BTW: Mesoy, what are your high-functioning areas or areas of special interest? My little cousin's is Japanese anime, and, tangentially, the complete history of Japanese culture.
Highest functioning: Mathematics, computers, logic problems, writing (esp. fantasy) and spelling (which is the weird thing I mentioned above: I, the three nerds (honorary Aspies) that I hang out with at school, and the other Aspies I've met all speak and spell fluently in two languages, whereas "full autists" have trouble with the same)

Special interests: Geek/nerd/hacker culture, fantasy, sci-fi, computers (soon: programming), strange* webcomics, hard science (huh?), juggling, Wikipedia and poking fun at expected roles/stereotypes**. Tangentially to the first, fourth and fifth, some Japanese anime has gradually osmosed its way into my brain.

Keirador, what does your sister do all day? Memorize things? Read stuff? Make up worlds? Practice motor skills? I'm curious, and I may have some helpful commentary.
(Based on the local state-level therapy, retreats, camps and stuff offered to Aspies, so I've met quite a few...)

*and by strange, I mean the sort that are PG 15+.
i.e. Psychological Guidance may be required for those over 15.

**Identity 1: I'm a liberal European who supports evolution, agrees with Akka on most issues and gets complimented by CurtSibling.
Identity 2: I'm a passport-carrying, miracle-working, Jesus-talking American, and I have a perfectly logical (to me) reason for thinking that Heaven will consist in large part of people telling each other how great this God dude is.
Identity 3: I know what "yiff" means.

<witty schizophrenia comment here>

It's my cousin, not my sister, but mainly she memorizes things and reads things. She has rather poor motor skills, and rarely goes outside. Her social skills are nigh on crippled, she can't understand sarcasm or nuance, and rather disconcertingly she tries to express confusion or dismay by making prolonged, intense eye contact while remaining completely silent. Just over the past couple of years she has developed an encyclopedic knowledge on terrorism and terrorists, in addition to anime. Her language skills are above average, but not exceptional. She excels at analytical sciences like biology. Her math skills are well below average.

I've never seen you claim to be a religious American like Identity #2. . .

Hi Vietcong. I'd say you are doing quite well under your circumstance. Just be accepting of yourself and make some goals and work hard for them.

I volunteered at a place called Option Institute http://option.org in Massachusetts that is affliated with the Autism Treatment Center of America http://www.autismtreatmentcenter.org/. It's a pretty amazing program (though mostly geared towards younger children who are probably much less functional than you). It was founded by Barry Neil Kauffman and his wife after they literally cured their own son of Autism (Raun Kauffman, who actually is going to become CEO of the Option Institute now!). I've met the guy (Raun) and believe it or not he is one of the most outgoing, social guys I have ever met. :)

So, anyway, my point is, you can probably help yourself and change for the better far more than any "experts" would have you believe.

Anyway, 18 is still pretty young. I'm still getting my life figured out at 26!

Keep up the good work Justin!

By the way, as I told you once before, I really like your Title - "Rember u allways harmony", as funny as this sounds, I remember one lonely night (at around 5AM when I could not sleep) reading one of your posts and letting it sink into me.

I really do belive that. Despite all the crazyness of life, there is a part of me, you, everyone, everything that is "always harmony"... like the calm, still center point of a madly spinning top.

I wish you all the best.

- Narz :king:

your cuz shold turn out just fine. in my case the bigest atvantage i had was very early intervition. my mom new something was wrong when me and toke me in to experts befor 1 year of age*i think*. so thats a major factor i think in my development, i got friends, but only a few specal chosen ppl do i let get realy close to me and get to know me well. this is mostly out of fear of ppl. im not sure why tho i fear ppl... i just have something telling me to be scared.

now if u saw me on the street, and i dressed normaly. u wholdnt even notice a thing unless i told u. even if u get into a small convo with me u probly wholdnt notice.. i allso have a major speach impetament. i am told i sound english, or eruopean of some kind.

my stong points, agin:p are polotics, history, sience *probly not to good at it but above average* religon/philophy... im kinda obeses with deeper meanings in life. i wholdnt step on a rouch if i saw one on the street or out side.. i just apreasate life to much, yet at the same time whold kill to defent my self, and those i love or the inocents.

well keep on ur cus, make sure she works hard, try to give her a lil more intrest in difrent things by leting her watch descovery chanel and all that.. and maby giveing her a few friends with the same problem whold hellp allso. some one she can relate too. alltho make sure ther on the same intelagens levals! i reamber about when i was 12 ppl bringing over kids who whear well below me, and i dreded it... i had no realtion between us!gr...
allso... dont foce them to do things thay want to do, we are determend bunch :p try explaing things, but not in a babyish leval, and dont treat her any difrently.. it leaves wired mental side efects. like filling difrent and kinda alone. trust me i know this.

allso harmony was a good friend of mine, who a long time ago died from cancer.. i took it hard, much harder then what iwhold now becus then i didnt understand death as well asi do now. now, alltho i love life. death hardly phases me, as i vew it as simply another step and part of life.
for a futer i was looking into art, and posibly becomeing a mortion*sp* the embolbming guy at funeral homes

allso Azarde, ahve u seen my pics? donno if u want me around u. but if u dont mind my style of dress *and no im not a girl or gay/bi* sure i whold love to take u up on ur offer, and yea ill be hear for the next 2 years:p

edit, Whait, UR ON MY AIM!!!!!! i dont rember y:p but u are

Narz said:
cured of Autism
:mad: IT IS NOT A DISEASE!! :mad: :aargh: :wallbash: :gripe:

Keirador said:
I've never seen you claim to be a religious American like Identity #2. . .
I don't claim to be one, either. I am one. And if you haven't noticed it, you're prolly looking for a stereotype that exists only in your head.

And to both of you, I used to be unable to pick up sarcasm or nuance too.
So my parents explained it, slowly and repeatedly (twice in a day wasn't unusual sometimes) and I read plenty of books, which also helped.
(This is NOT the same is being "cured".)
Highly recommended for practising nonliteral communication: Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, lots of jokes that aren't literal but still understandable due to high context quotient.

its nto a deises, and i dont mind religous ppl as long u dont force ur stuff down my throt, but since urespect me by not doing it i deam u a cool realigous persion

Vietcong said:
allso Azarde, ahve u seen my pics? donno if u want me around u. but if u dont mind my style of dress *and no im not a girl or gay/bi* sure i whold love to take u up on ur offer, and yea ill be hear for the next 2 years:p

edit, Whait, UR ON MY AIM!!!!!! i dont rember y:p but u are
Your physical appearence should have no bearing on your condition.

Also, does anyone else get a Charlie Gordon-esque feeling when reading VC's posts. I mean no offense by this, however.

classical_hero said:
Isn't Xen also Autistic? You are not the only one who has this problem, so do not think that you should be alone.
Xen's just lazy.

Erik Mesoy said:
I don't claim to be one, either. I am one. And if you haven't noticed it, you're prolly looking for a stereotype that exists only in your head.
I can understand how one can balk stereotypes by being, for example, both religious and liberal, but how can you be both European and American? Double citizenship?

Azadre said:
Also, does anyone else get a Charlie Gordon-esque feeling when reading VC's posts. I mean no offense by this, however.

whos charly gordon?

ihave never noticed any thing wrong with his spelling

Perhaps an effect of the autism? Xen's spelling is arguably worse than yours, and to the best of our knowledge, he has no medical excuse for it. Typically, it's not that his spelling is actually wrong, just that spaces and letters are either absent from where they should be, present where they should not be, or several spaces over from where they should be. It's as if he knows exactly how to spell the words, he's just typing with mittens on.

Erik Mesoy said:
:mad: IT IS NOT A DISEASE!! :mad: :aargh: :wallbash: :gripe:
There's evidence some austistic dudes are really that way because they have lyme disease affecting their brain. After massive antibiotics it vastly improved.

Keirador said:
Perhaps an effect of the autism? Xen's spelling is arguably worse than yours, and to the best of our knowledge, he has no medical excuse for it. Typically, it's not that his spelling is actually wrong, just that spaces and letters are either absent from where they should be, present where they should not be, or several spaces over from where they should be. It's as if he knows exactly how to spell the words, he's just typing with mittens on.

that is odd.. thats intresting.. probly is a side efect

Hygro said:
There's evidence some austistic dudes are really that way because they have lyme disease affecting their brain. After massive antibiotics it vastly improved.
The more you read about Autism the more you don't know about the condition ;) Trust me...I've read A LOT! There are so many theories that it can boggle the mind. Some think its the wheat in the diet, others think mercury poisoning (mercury being the main "preservative" in immunizations), while others are convinced its genetics and those are just a few of the more popular theories!

As I sit here now I can rule ALL of those theories.....

My second oldest son is Autistic, he was FINALLY diagnosed at the age of 3 (I'd been pushing for an answer since he was about 20 months of age, buts that another story). He didn't show signs of autism until just after his 18 month immunizations, so we were in the "Mercury poisoning Camp" until....

My daughter, who is now 6, was diagnosed with autism (higher functioning than my son but still in the "moderate" range) We held off on her immunizations until it was time for her to start school (4 years old), but even then she was showing signs of autism...so there goes the Mercury Poisoning theory...

The wheat theory....this never quite made sense to me, but there are kids out there who have responded amazingly to having wheat removed from their diet...my two did not respond to this "cure".

The last "big" theory, genetics...okay you might think it would be possible in my family, since I have two children with autism.....well I have 3 other children (1 older than my son, and the other two between my son and daughter) that have never shown ANY signs at all of autism!

Now....for Justin....Hang in there! I don't think any of us "normal" people knew what we wanted in life by the time we were 18. The fact that you are thinking ahead is a great credit to your personality! If you put your "all" into what you are doing to will make it!

I'm quite surprised that you were turned down for disability though!!! Did you appeal the decision? I would keep pushing Social Security on that one!!!! MOST people who apply for disability will be turned down the first time, but on appeal they will be accepted. I've seen this with my dad, my brother-in-law and myself! All of us were rejected but upon appeal we were excepted :) Might want to look into it again ;)

Best of luck to you!

Top Bottom