Barbarossa: The War in the East 1941-1945

What do you think of this Scenario?

• Total voters
SVAN,

Thank you for your comments.

I can not explain the changing of government you mention.
Will check the problem in the editor.

"I hope I did not offend the authors of this amazing scenario by modifying it so heavily."
SVAN

For sure not.
Its only positive that players of the scenario make their own versions.
Your version sounds like a really good one!

Rocoteh

Adler17 said:
Sarevok, wellcome back!!!!

Perhaps indeed it is worth to think about a naval action in this game a bit more. Also to think about a what if.

Adler

Adler,

You are right.

A naval module will be considered should there be a new version.

Rocoteh

There is something else "fishy" in this scenario. Time to time I notice that wonders become "fluent". What I mean, is you load a scenario to start a new game, and in say 25% of cases you find Tankograd not in Baku, but in Berlin! Or in Bremen! You go back to scenarion editor, and sure enough, you find Tankograd highlighted in Berlin, next to Large Dock highlighted! Wow!
Last time was most strange: NKVD HQ and Tankograd have switched places: the latter went to Leningrad and NKVD - to Baku. I am pretty sure I did not touch city properties in editor, but still...
Does anybody else have this experience?

SVAN

I had that experience last night. I was amazed to see one of my core cities produce a "Soviet Tank Brigade" (I think that's the one...)

But anyway, this is a very good scenario. It certanly gets my thumbs up! :goodjob:

Virote_Considon said:
I had that experience last night. I was amazed to see one of my core cities produce a "Soviet Tank Brigade" (I think that's the one...)

But anyway, this is a very good scenario. It certanly gets my thumbs up! :goodjob:

Virote_Considon,

Thank you.

There will be some bugs to solve should there be one more
version of this scenario.

Rocoteh

By the way, what would be your advise on "mobilize or not to mobilize"? I mean not the drafting, but that button next to "change the government". Mobilization would result in boosting military production, and a role of culture (and thus a city growth) is virtually absent in this scenario, but... Would you be able to build docks, factories, etc.?

SVAN

SVAN said:
I can't believe nobody can answer that question! Should a player mobilize, or not???
I would advise not mobilizing because you cannot demobilize at all, since this is a total war scenario. I don't mobilize because you cannot build the factories toward the middle of the scenario that you need to produce the tanks needed to fight with the enemy. This is only when I play as the soviets, I havent really played as the Germans yet.

SVAN said:
I can't believe nobody can answer that question! Should a player mobilize, or not???

SVAN,

I leave this question to the players of the scenario because its a long time
since I playtested Barbarossa.

BTW: The ETO-map will use the same scale (about) as Barbarossa.
However the ETO-map include Europe to the Urals, the Middle East,
North Africa and the eastern part of North America.
(ETO = European Theater of Operations.)

Rocoteh

SVAN said:
Thank you!
Look forward to! By the way, will ETO game include a naval segment?
Sergey

SVAN,

Yes it will.

Individual ships, including destroyers and submarines will
be represented.

Rocoteh

Great! I am quite an enthusiast of your work.

May be you would be able to answer yet another question related to Barbarossa scenario: I have noticed that by late 1941 computer takes up to 3-4 hrs to make a turn (!). The point is, it is not due to animating lot of battles (I turn those in preferences at the end of each turn), - but just for "thinking". When testing, I can see that yes, CPU is truly occupied 100% for 3-4 hrs, and it ain't a freezing: it always finishes up all right, with a turn being processed and passed to me.
My comp has 1.0 GHz processor, 512 MB memory, relatively clean. I had tested it in both Win98SE and XP - no difference. In no other scenario did I have this problem! Why? Too many units and improvements to calculate data for? By now, I just do one turn a day, and let a computer "think" overnight, but this is annoing.

SVAN

SVAN said:
Great! I am quite an enthusiast of your work.

May be you would be able to answer yet another question related to Barbarossa scenario: I have noticed that by late 1941 computer takes up to 3-4 hrs to make a turn (!). The point is, it is not due to animating lot of battles (I turn those in preferences at the end of each turn), - but just for "thinking". When testing, I can see that yes, CPU is truly occupied 100% for 3-4 hrs, and it ain't a freezing: it always finishes up all right, with a turn being processed and passed to me.
My comp has 1.0 GHz processor, 512 MB memory, relatively clean. I had tested it in both Win98SE and XP - no difference. In no other scenario did I have this problem! Why? Too many units and improvements to calculate data for? By now, I just do one turn a day, and let a computer "think" overnight, but this is annoing.

SVAN

Same thing happens to me. I have 512 MB of memory and a 1.7 GHz processor. I asked about this last year but no one else was having the problem -- so maybe it has something to do with our configurations. Sorry I couldn't help!

Dear Uncle_Ted,
Thanks for sharing this information. I have tested a saved game on yet another computer (1.1 GHz, 512 MB), - with the same result (may be just a bit shorter). I guess having a monster processor (like 3.22 GHz) would shorten it quite a lot, but this is sure strange. With animations on, what I see is AI launches air attacks, than thinks for about an hour, then hits me with armor, then thinks again for circa 1.5-2 hrs. :(

SVAN said:
Dear Uncle_Ted,
Thanks for sharing this information. I have tested a saved game on yet another computer (1.1 GHz, 512 MB), - with the same result (may be just a bit shorter). I guess having a monster processor (like 3.22 GHz) would shorten it quite a lot, but this is sure strange. With animations on, what I see is AI launches air attacks, than thinks for about an hour, then hits me with armor, then thinks again for circa 1.5-2 hrs. :(

That was my experience too. Happy hunting!

Yet another update to my experiences with Barbarossa:
In the current game (Soviet side, General difficulty level) I was most amazed by the effectiveness of Germans in handling their air arm. That was not true in my previous games, when I was able to achieve air superiority by late 1941. Here, my air force is completely outclassed, the ratio of losses in fighters to total is about 10:3 (Soviet fighters vs. German total, respectively), and my bombers never stand a chance: very occasionally they manage to survive a sortie: and Pe-2 are sure expensive, while any other planes are not available yet (and my pre-war force is fully annihilated long ago). After all, I have to stop producing Pe-2 and concentrate on armor and anti-tank battalions, plus some cheap Yak-1, in a hope that the latter will melt German bomber force to some extent. By autumn of 1941 Germans (by intellegence) have over 40 of their "universal" Me-110 (!!!), plus close to 15 other bombers (mostly Ju-88), >20 Me-109, >10 FW-190 and few Axis fighters. That is a lot! They sure pay a close attention to keeping their numbers high, and my cities and units close to the frontline suffer most heavily. I rush-build AA-installations, move forward Yaks and flak - but I achieve too little.
This is sure a great example of how AI could handle a strategy "if it desires so". It is so much more enjoyable than a dull rollocoaster of Soviet armor coming strait to Konigsburg by late 1941. Great game!!!

SVAN

I just read the last few posts in this forum and thought, maybe these were just isolated events. What I'm talking about is the computer taking 1.5-3 hour turns of mostly thinking and moving units around. But as I type this, my comp is also taking extremely long turns on deciding on what to do. I have seen this occur in one other scenario, The Cold War. Around mid game, both scenarios have really long turns. I think, at least in this scenario, the long turns are due to the massive, and I mean MASSIVE numbers of units on both sides in addition to the number of cities that need new build orders every turn. I'm not suggesting anything. This is just what I think is the reason for these really long turns.

Hi! So, this is more or less common, but sure strange. I think that the issue is not in a high number of units to move, but rather in some internal error, - a "circular reference" of some sort. The proof is that yesterday I pass week 7 in the scenario, and turn takes about 10 min. Then I pass week 8, computer have worked overnight (7 hours) and DID NOT FINISH calculating. The number of units did not increase 100-fold by 1 turn, while a time did. Why? At weeks 7/8 I have discovered early mech corps tech and gave some orders to manufacture it. Could it be the issue? Something wrong with that unit?

SVAN

I don't think it's a matter of unit numbers. As you can see from this screenshot, I have over 800 Soviet units in Spring 42. Although I modded the scenario a bit myself to fix things like the Tankograd bug, the turns play out in a matter of minutes. I haven't experienced any delays at the level described

Top Bottom