Be a Superhero with TeamCFC. Help us perform miracles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmm, i'll have a fiddle with the settings.. but dont tell my dad! for some reason he always gets jumpy when i play about with "his" computer :rolleyes:

Edit: Extreme Overclocking says I'm the 14th overall contributor to the team? And team rank of 41? And Folding@Home had 51? Oh, I give up trying to understand these things ...
Woot! I like that listing :D

Less than 24 hours ago I updated my FaH client to the SMP (Symmetrical Multi-processor) one for Mac OS X, so my four Xeon cores are now blasting out a work unit about every ten hours.

Still quietly contributing. Going by the Extreme Overclocking link, it seems I'm making somewhat of an impact.

I should be getting a laptop sometime soon, but I want to set it up so F@H only runs when the power is plugged in, and not at full speed, otherwise it might cause battery/heating problems.

Yeah, i found i had to do that with my lappy.

Any of you know a good Mac help forum?

What sort of problem?

The Apple Discussion boards have a lot of good stuff, and you usually get rapid help there. If it's Civ-related, then you could do worse than try the Mac forums here. There are Civ3 and Civ4 ones.

I think I tried there earlier, but didn't really get anywhere, so I was looking for another forum.. it's a weird font issue that seems to be related to some anti-aliasing bug, but it only shows up in one program (which uses a particular font), it's just annoying because it renders the text unreadable.

Still quietly contributing. Going by the Extreme Overclocking link, it seems I'm making somewhat of an impact.

I should be getting a laptop sometime soon, but I want to set it up so F@H only runs when the power is plugged in, and not at full speed, otherwise it might cause battery/heating problems.

If you're running the graphical client, right click on the red protein icon in your sys tray, and click configure. The advanced tab in this window lets you set everything you want. In winter I keep my laptop around 45%, its warm to the touch but not hot. I haven't noticed too much extra power drain though, and I'm rarely more than a few hours away from on outlet anyway.

I think I tried there earlier, but didn't really get anywhere, so I was looking for another forum.. it's a weird font issue that seems to be related to some anti-aliasing bug, but it only shows up in one program (which uses a particular font), it's just annoying because it renders the text unreadable.
What's the program? And the font? Does the problem show up if you use that font in a word/text processor?

Woot! I like that listing :D

Less than 24 hours ago I updated my FaH client to the SMP (Symmetrical Multi-processor) one for Mac OS X, so my four Xeon cores are now blasting out a work unit about every ten hours.

Jeez: I'm getting old. I only recognise half the words in that sentence ...:(

:sad: I was planning to do that too, until I realised that I only have a PPC, not a multi-core powerhouse.

Anyone know if there are any stats on which client works the fastest? I have the graphical one, which runs in hidden mode. Is it worth it switching to console or screensaver?

Can't be as old as me :old:

Folding@Home have produced new software recently that takes advantage of two developments in PCs to get radically faster processing of work units.

One development is that they can run some types of calculation in high performance Graphics cards. This achieves 20-30 times the speed of a conventional CPU, so if you have a newish system you may want to download the new software for it.

The other new development is that PCs like my Apple Mac Pro are now coming out with multiple processor cores. Using new versions of the folding software, these systems can be exploited to run up to four, or maybe even eight calculation threads in parallel. That's what I'm running now, and my primary system has massively improved its productivity.

Since I installed the new version yesterday it has submitted two work units for a total of 1300 points in less than 24 hours. My previous rate from two systems running the conventional single-CPU folding software was about 400 to 500 points per week.

:sad: I was planning to do that too, until I realised that I only have a PPC, not a multi-core powerhouse.

Anyone know if there are any stats on which client works the fastest? I have the graphical one, which runs in hidden mode. Is it worth it switching to console or screensaver?

I don't think the graphics version has any significant handicap compared with the console one. If you don't run the protein display then I suspect they are identical. The screensaver is probably lower productivity, as it will only fold when you are not using the Mac and the screensaver has cut in. The other clients will continue to work in the background while you are working.

I'm still folding on my old G4 tower as well, using the graphical client, so it will be interesting to compare the new and old systems.

What's the program? And the font? Does the problem show up if you use that font in a word/text processor?

Iview Media Pro, I'm not sure how to check which font it uses.. I'll have a chance to peek tomorrow (it's not my computer)..

One development is that they can run some types of calculation in high performance Graphics cards. This achieves 20-30 times the speed of a conventional CPU, so if you have a newish system you may want to download the new software for it.

Wow!

I don't turn on the screensaver; I assume that running the graphics takes energy and processing power away from better uses (not using the electricity or folding with the cpu's)

Since I installed the new version yesterday it has submitted two work units for a total of 1300 points in less than 24 hours. My previous rate from two systems running the conventional single-CPU folding software was about 400 to 500 points per week.
:eek: that's going some. Gives me another reason to upgrade my PC rather than just to run Civ 4 better. Unfortunately I'm stuck with what I've got for a while now having just bought someone very like ironduck's avatar.

Yay, im back to home computer and my laptop folding :)

:eek: that's going some. Gives me another reason to upgrade my PC rather than just to run Civ 4 better. Unfortunately I'm stuck with what I've got for a while now having just bought someone very like ironduck's avatar.

Cool, got a pic? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom