Belgian Empire

That's no Flemish flag, but a Brabantian Lion, which is on the national emblem of Belgium since like forever. I think it's safe to use it, because it represents a centralized state (though ruled by a French-speaking elite throughout whole Belgium/Southern Netherlands), and that's exactly the Belgian empire you happen to focus on.
Very still, the avarage (Walloon or Flemish) Joe in Belgium doesn't know jack-:):):):) about his history (education on that subject just sucks and it also has been altered by our school system for propaganda means, that's why they hardly touch it), so it's safe doing anything with Belgium.

National emblem with the nine original provinces: with Brabant in the centre (despite Antwerp actually being Brabantian also).

Anyway, the reason why our history education sucks is because it would make too many people realise the Belgian independence was nothing but bad for Flemish and only good for the Catholic Church and the Francophonie, and while many people are 'cool' enough to not be emotional nationalists, it's not really helping modernizing our state and neither would 'patriotic history' help, because in the recent past Flemish were taught to hate the Dutch and admire the French (while Walloons were taught the same, but with less Hollandophobia).
Results of 'patriotic history' of the past is: Hollandophobia, inferiority complex, Walloons thinking Flemish isn't Dutch ("a deformed Dutch" is what they were taught at school, just like French were taught Corsican be 'a deformed Italian' and Alsatian 'a deformed German' with France as model state), international community thinking Flemish isn't Dutch (BBC even calls our language Flemish occasionally because they always read Francophone press) with of course the one occasional Fleming who doesn't know the mechanics behind this also calling his language 'Flemish'(*), but also communitarian turmoil within Belgium.
Also, Flemish nationalist version of history neither is good, especially our symbolism is a joke (and despite what, for instance, the Routard Guide about Belgium tells you, the overwhelming majority of Flemish don't take it seriously and neither are a fan of. It was used to (in a later state) promote Belgium's independence from France, and that was best assured if Dutch wasn't completely replaced by French.

(*): Some Flemish Catholic priests and bishops didn't like people reading 'Protestant' Dutch nor 'Atheist' French, and this is why in an earlier era there were many Flemish taught to call their language Flemish over Dutch, despite it being a dialect of that language (and perfectly understood, even in its particularist forms). Indirectly though, by blocking off the popularity of French in Flanders, did they aid in Flanders remaining Dutch-speaking once Belgium evolved toward democracy.

Is there a way to get this (or any) created civs to be in standard game?

What do you mean?

I mean is there a way to download this so that it is a playable civ in standard bts games. Non-mod games. Just rgular mode.

...er...why do you not want to load a mod? It doesn't make really sense, because if you load the civ via custom assets into the normal game it will not count any longer as normal.

I dont see why this seems so weird to people. This I just was thinking that if I was to download more than one civ, that means that I want to have more than one new civ in my game. So why would I want to have only one downloaded civ in game? I just want to download the civs I find on here and have the possibility of coming across them in any game I play.

I dont see why this seems so weird to people. This I just was thinking that if I was to download more than one civ, that means that I want to have more than one new civ in my game. So why would I want to have only one downloaded civ in game? I just want to download the civs I find on here and have the possibility of coming across them in any game I play.

You can just put them all together in a mod.

Especially because this is a module and can easily be added to any mod.

I would like to see a Flemisch Civ.

Flanders have existed for at least 700 years, so a civ based on Flanders would be nice.

That's no Flemish flag, but a Brabantian Lion, which is on the national emblem of Belgium since like forever.

I thought that too in the beginning but download it and use it and you'll notice that the colours are inversed making it a pure Flemish flag.
That's why I changed the flag myself afterwards.

:crazyeye:

The funny part of it is, the colors were originally inverted, then I changed them to their current configuration...

:crazyeye:

The funny part of it is, the colors were originally inverted, then I changed them to their current configuration...

I liked the inversed, but as Belgian nationalist I can't fight heroic wars under a flag I don't support.
So I made this instead.

I would like to see a Flemisch Civ.

Flanders have existed for at least 700 years, so a civ based on Flanders would be nice.

'Flemish' never had an empire. Belgians had. And when 'Flemish' (I mean Dutch-speaking in the Southern Low Countries) were of significance in the world, they used to belong to foreign rule like the Burgundians and the Spaniards. In Austrian time they became less relevant.
Actually they're partly represented in the Dutch civilization, as many Flemish moved to the Nothern Netherlands (mainly to Holland), England and Germany in these times. Flemish in their early days can certainly be seen as 'Dutch' in a way. Very still, it's also true that the Northern Lowlands formed their own identity early on. During the 16th century there were tendencies toward a Dutch-speaking nation that also included whole of Brabant and Flanders. Also, speaking about centuries later, personally I think that if the UNL kept existing a Dutch-speaking identity also would have forged, and next to that a Catholic Dutch-speaking one, but not separatist. Nowadays a 'Flemish' one came in the place of that. As we know modern nation states in their current form are a result of 19th century nationalism.
Our history is very complicated and also early on there were different perspectives.

'Flemish' was sometimes used as a synonym for Southern Netherlander of that time. It also was often used as a trademark just like 'Holland' was for the Northern Netherlands later on, it often even included Francophones of that era (I'm talking about 15th to 16th centuries). Its purpose was only to sell products abroad (mainly music and paintings). As composers are concerned most spoke French, for painters most spoke Dutch; but these are two branches were 'Flemish' was used as a trademark in the past. Still, it's not to be confused with the current Flemish Community, that name is a result of 19th century bombastic romanticism. Flemish today means 'Dutch-speaking Belgian'.

If any I think a Burgundian civilization would be more interesting, and for a leader I would think about Charles the Bold.

I liked the inversed, but as Belgian nationalist I can't fight heroic wars under a flag I don't support.
So I made this instead.

That's a true Brabantian Lion. In Civ emblems are prefered over tricolore flags. But this one is safe to use, at least I'm seeing a tricolore flag that doesn't look ugly.

Hello, i have followed both the instructions on the New Civilizations forum and here but still don't seem to get your mod to work. I can load the mod in the game and when it restarts i get the option to unload it, but i can't actually select Belgium as a civ.

What am i doing wrong here?

Top Bottom