• The Who

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • The Beatles

Votes: 21 43.8%
  • Other

Votes: 7 14.6%

• Total voters
That seems a little restrictive.

Bands like Black Sabbath and AC/DC were clearly heavy metal. As for Deep Purple I consider them classic rock, but they did have a few heavy songs that broached in to Metal territory.

85 perhaps? Regardless, it'd include Black Sabbath and AC/DC.

Sabbath was heavy blues rock, baby.

I disagree. They were the first ones (popular ones I should say) to use tuned-down guitars. That is the heavy metal sound. And according to Wiki they are heavy metal. :)

Early Black Sabbath albums feature tuned-down guitars, which contributed to the dark feel of the music.[25] In 1966, before forming Black Sabbath, guitarist Tony Iommi suffered an accident while working in a sheet metal factory, losing the tips of two fingers on his right hand. Iommi almost gave up music, but was urged by a friend to listen to Django Reinhardt, a jazz guitarist who lost the use of two fingers.[138] Inspired by Reinhardt, Iommi created two thimbles made of plastic and leather to cap off his missing fingers. The guitarist began using lighter strings, and detuning his guitar, to better grip the strings with his prosthesis, a move which inadvertently gave the music a darker feel".[138] Early in the band's history Iommi experimented with different dropped tunings, including C# tuning, or 3 semitones down, before settling on E♭/D# tuning, or a half-step down from standard tuning,[139] but still play in C# for the songs that require it, such as Children of the Grave.

From what i've seen people who listen to metal call Black Sabbath metal; people who listen to classical rock call it classical rock. People who listen to both don't care.

That seems a little restrictive.

Bands like Black Sabbath and AC/DC were clearly heavy metal. As for Deep Purple I consider them classic rock, but they did have a few heavy songs that broached in to Metal territory.
Problem with bands like that is that metal didn't really exist as distinct from hard rock at the time, so they're not quite definitely in either camp. You can say that Black Sabbath, for example, are heavy metal, but that doesn't mean that they aren't hard rock as well. It's not really until Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and so forth that you find very much that can be described as "heavy metal" to the exclusion of all else.

Black Sabbath for the win! I'm not interested about genre wars, they're classic and rock enough for me.

Top Bottom