Best non-computer childhood toys

ZBots and Monster In My Pocket, anyone?

Glad to see Lego's as the consensus favorite. One of the most exciting things about raising children is getting to play with Lego's again...

I dunno why you need kids for that, I know married couples with no children who buy each other Lego sets as gifts.

Indeed one is neve too old to play with Legos. :D

When I was much sicker a month or two ago, and mostly confined to my bed, Legos were one of the things I played with to entertain myself. I spent a bit of dough on lego sets on ebay, given that half of my old lego collection was given away when I moved and the other half is a complete mess, but it was worth it. I'd buy more if I had more room where I live.

I also discovered that there is a small but thriving and growing community of adult fans of Legos (they call themselves as such). Very cool. They make a lot of interesting stuff.

Nobody gave me Lego. :(

But I did have Tinker Toys, Sta-Lox building bricks, and some wooden building pieces (various-shaped blocks).

I guess my favorite childhood toy would have to be the plastic farm truck and animals I still have a few of. It wasn't unusual for me to spend hours playing with those every day, when I wasn't coloring, or outside on my swing set.

Later on, I loved board games.

A couple of years ago, I was involved in a PBEM game of the original Civilization board game (the one that's pre-Civ I). Sadly, the GM dropped out before we finished. :(

Oh yeah, if we're including board games I played all the classics, usually losing (due to an older brother 11 years more advanced). I especially remember epic Axis & Allies battles, some going on 6-12 hours. :ack: Also Stratego which I don't think I ever won at. I also got smashed in chess though I now could probably give my brother rook odds & win everytime. I wish I could've played the original Civ boardgame, I tried the most recent incarnation a few years back.

Zoids (the mid-late 80s ones) were very cool at the time. I recall people organising battles between them (cause Zoids were powered with a battery and could move their legs, so they crashed into each other).

I had the triceratops Zoid, and possibly later on the Stegosaur.

They were supposed to be massive robots, and in their head (usually) there were miniature human pilots.

(note: not that the above looks much like a triceratops; for starters it doesn't have three horns..).

I wish I could've played the original Civ boardgame, I tried the most recent incarnation a few years back.
I first learned it from someone in the local SCA branch (most of us in that group were also into science fiction and gaming). Alliances are critical, and you need to pick at least one that you'll be loyal to for most of the game, since once you betray your word, the game gets a lot tougher. You also need to be able to put on a poker face in the trading round, since you'll want to get commodities you need while being able to slip disaster cards to people without them suspecting you're up to something.

My boyfriend never suspected I'd ever do something nasty like slipping him a "civil disorder" card in the final trading round of the game... I ended up winning that one. :D

Had quite a few of the general toys (some legos, lincoln log, like 2 stuffed animals, some toy animals) but I also had Star Wars toys.

Legos ruled them all

the lego black castle (from 1988):

and the Intergalactic Command Base (from 1984)

Also: Stockys :love:

That previous (1988) version of the Black Castle seems to have different troop orders as well. Iirc the one i had (posted in the OP) used mostly archers, and a couple of spearmen, apart from the four knights.

At any rate the newer version looks better, mostly due to more colors (white for the crenelations, and some red too).

But it also had a ghost-lego. I never used that, waste of a figurine :/

These two :love:

Other than Lego, you can't go wrong with army men. Such a hassle to turn them into airborne troops though.

One more here for Lego

This was my first one

I played as well a lot with Playmobil

Finally, I had a version of Popup pirate similar to this

Most toy-soldiers (plastic) sets were pretty generic (and thus cheap). An exception would be a line which appeared at around 1990:

The submarine ('evil sect' unit) was my favorite from that series. It had a ton of other vehicles and a larg base too.

The only thing that can compete with lego sets are the toy trains !!!

^I think i only ever owned one toy-train set, and probably played with that only a bit (for starters it was not practical to have it in my room, and then the moving trains were a bit restrictive in making up plots for my games).

Unlike with plastic soldiers, or lego/playmobil, where one could pretty much arrange any sort of plot due to the generic elements of the actual figures+ lack of mobility.

I had a number of G.I.Joe and He-Man figures, but they were boring. Let alone that they were difficult to use with other toys.

Yeah, I really don't get how toy trains would be interesting for more than half an hour.

My father once bought me an electric train .... oh god it was so awesome ! I played with it a lot and in the end I lost it somewhere , well you know - kids always loose some things here and there .... I dont really remember what became of it but I do remember one thing the locomotive was this fancy French TGV ! :D

Top Bottom