[Beyond the Sword] History In The Making

I forgot to mention that I am playing v 2.02 (I am unfortunately, I am stuck with Vista). See if that solves the run time errors. Otherwise, when the turn ends, the computer will move the AI controlled players until a CTD.

I am off to watch the Pens.

I solved the problem with the German jet fighter. Thanks for your help. I never would have caught the typo.

It's strange to me that version 2.03 works fine on my computer, and 3.0 does not. Odd.

Anyway, thanks for the mod, Grave. We all appreciated it. :goodjob:

I was having the problem of being switched to the weakest Civ even though I didn't have the option enabled.

Another post suggested this problem could be solved with installation of the 3.02 patch.

I downloaded and extracted the 3.02 patch to my BTS mods folder. It didn't ask me to overwrite any files (even though I did it a few times to make sure it even extracted to the right place).

Now when I try to run HiTM either by loading the mod or by opening a save game directly, I get a generic runtime error immediately after the loading screen. ("...the runtime to terminate in an unusual way...")

I will keep digging through this thread for similar problems, but if someone could point me in the right direction, it would be helpful.

And I'm going to just re-install the mod clean since I want to keep using my savegame.

Is there a manual (say, in the XML) way to stop the game from automatically switching you to the weakest civ when you become the most powerful?

And I'm going to just re-install the mod clean since I want to keep using my savegame.

Is there a manual (say, in the XML) way to stop the game from automatically switching you to the weakest civ when you become the most powerful?

Figured it out! I just let it happen, then used the change player mod to change back.

I have fixed it. The problem lies with Civilization IV complete registry keys. Here is the "Civilization IV" registry key, with InstallDir;

Now if you look in the "Beyond the Sword" registry key folder;

You can see that the "complete" edition has no "InstallDir" registry key here. So I manually added one as per this screenshot;

And voila, History In The Making now works :)

Note: The full location of the registry key looks a bit odd because it's Vista 64. Users of Vista 32/Windows XP may need to look elsewhere for their civilization iv registry key, but the same principle of the fix applies to anybody that has the "Complete" DVD edition - just insert "InstallDir" in to the "Beyond the Sword" key folder with a complete path (including trailing "\" at the end) to the Beyond The Sword folder within the Civilization IV folder.

Hope this helps others, and maybe you can add this to the FAQ for now Grave?

Thanks both Dale & Grave for helping with this problem :)

I cannot get those screenshots any longer.
ALl I am getting is a "404 - not found" error.
I would be greatly obliged if you could possibly send me the required details please, as without the screenshot the post is meaningless.

Many thanks in advance.....

I was having the problem of being switched to the weakest Civ even though I didn't have the option enabled.

Another post suggested this problem could be solved with installation of the 3.02 patch.

I downloaded and extracted the 3.02 patch to my BTS mods folder. It didn't ask me to overwrite any files (even though I did it a few times to make sure it even extracted to the right place).

Now when I try to run HiTM either by loading the mod or by opening a save game directly, I get a generic runtime error immediately after the loading screen. ("...the runtime to terminate in an unusual way...")

I will keep digging through this thread for similar problems, but if someone could point me in the right direction, it would be helpful.

One of two things...

1) You installed History in the Making in the wrong location...

2) You installed the patch in the wrong location.

I'm betting on #1....

Yep, check the History in the Making Readme.

Grave, any plans to update to 3.19?

The final patch to HiTM will include the v3.19 patch. Updating to a new version of BtS is a very time consuming task, so I wouldn't expect this patch for a few weeks at least. Besides, I want to make sure I address other things I've been meaning to wrap up for the final release as well.

The final patch should be a pretty significant release, once I'm done with it.

Awesomesauce!

BtW: I noticed that your sig now says:
"Windows XP only!"

Does that mean you've given up on us Vista users?

Awesomesauce!

"Windows XP only!"

I have to say, it is disappointing that this mod does not work correctly on Vista and W7...but I am glad that Grave made this mod, because it has effectively taken away any need for social interaction I once had!

I have configured a dual Windows 7/Windows XP system pretty much to play this mod (Civ 4 and Duke Nukem 3D are the only things installed) and the game works flawlessly with HitM 3.

It can be hassle for people to use both XP and Vista/W7 but considering Grave is creating and testing this mod on an XP system it is unreasonable for us to ask for more. It is obvious that changes made in Vista/W7 do not take kindly to HitM...so we just have to deal with it.

I'd say geting your hands on a cheap XP disc is well worth it to play this mod.

Awesomesauce!

"Windows XP only!"

Unfortunately so. I don't know enough about SDK to figure out which string of code is causing Vista to crash. And tearing down the entire SDK just to figure it out is something I have no desire to do! This is why I included the source code with HiTM... so that maybe somebody could see what I'm missing and recommend a fix for it.

I have to say, it is disappointing that this mod does not work correctly on Vista and W7...but I am glad that Grave made this mod, because it has effectively taken away any need for social interaction I once had!

I have configured a dual Windows 7/Windows XP system pretty much to play this mod (Civ 4 and Duke Nukem 3D are the only things installed) and the game works flawlessly with HitM 3.

It can be hassle for people to use both XP and Vista/W7 but considering Grave is creating and testing this mod on an XP system it is unreasonable for us to ask for more. It is obvious that changes made in Vista/W7 do not take kindly to HitM...so we just have to deal with it.

I'd say geting your hands on a cheap XP disc is well worth it to play this mod.

Well, maybe if we're lucky... when I update HiTM to v3.19, something magical will happen that will suddenly allow HiTM to play on Vista. Stranger things have happened! ;)

I made a DLL for the previous version of HitM (v2.02) on my PC, running under Vista Ultimate.
I used VC++ 2003, the Microsoft Platorm SDK and CodeBlocks 8.02.
Although I haven't tested it very much, things seem a bit better for Vista users with this DLL.
This DLL is 8 kb (6508 kb) smaller than Graves original (6516 kb). A bit odd if you ask me :confused:
Please let me know if this works any better on Vista machines. If so, I could try making a DLL for Vista users for the latest version of HitM!

Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9GYQ4IJH

I made a DLL for the previous version of HitM (v2.02) on my PC, running under Vista Ultimate.
I used VC++ 2003, the Microsoft Platorm SDK and CodeBlocks 8.02.
Although I haven't tested it very much, things seem a bit better for Vista users with this DLL.
This DLL is 8 kb (6508 kb) smaller than Graves original (6516 kb). A bit odd if you ask me :confused:
Please let me know if this works any better on Vista machines. If so, I could try making a DLL for Vista users for the latest version of HitM!

Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9GYQ4IJH

Dude, that would rock! :cool:

If you make one for v3.02 for Vista, can you send me the source files? I'd like to compare them and see what changes you made in order to get it working!

Added a hyperlink to your post in Post #2!

Dude, that would rock! :cool:

If you make one for v3.02 for Vista, can you send me the source files? I'd like to compare them and see what changes you made in order to get it working!

Added a hyperlink to your post in Post #2!

I didn't change anything in the sources. I just recompiled the whole bunch.

I didn't change anything in the sources. I just recompiled the whole bunch.

Interesting... :crazyeye:

I recently updated my version of CodeBlocks to v8.02. For the longest time I was using version 1.xx something! :eek: :lol:

I wonder if that has anything to do with it? Did you try compiling the v3.02 SDK files and trying those out?

Interesting... :crazyeye:

I recently updated my version of CodeBlocks to v8.02. For the longest time I was using version 1.xx something! :eek: :lol:

I wonder if that has anything to do with it? Did you try compiling the v3.02 SDK files and trying those out?

Compiling them now.

I'm not sure if the v2.02-DLL would work with v3.02 as you said in post #2 :confused:

BTW did you add 'AdvancedCobmatOdds.h' (SIC) to your projectfile?

Top Bottom