1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Beyond the Sword] History In The Making

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Grave, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Sepulchre

Sepulchre Chieftain

The Egyptians popularised Apothecaries, and Apothecary houses. These were basically like a clinic you could drop into to get medical assistance for a price, they were also researchers and thinkers and advanced early civilisations knowledge of herbal remedies and anatomy.

Maybe having an Apothecary House might be a good addition for Ancient era health bonus.

2. DrewBledsoe

DrewBledsoe Veteran QB

Way back in the millenia BC, the Egyptians had Physicians, maybe a "Physician's Surgery" and make it a pre req for a hospital, available with say textiles?(maybe a bit later)

EDIT: :lol: Sepulchre reads my mind, good trick ;)

EDIT 2: If you want it early, then textiles AND priesthood is a good idea historically...

EDIT 3: The Persians already have an Apothecary as replacement for the grocer, so whatever with the name...

3. Sepulchre

Sepulchre Chieftain

Lol Great minds think alike Drew

4. bcr1776

bcr1776 Warlord

Special Forces has to be a real tough unit to portray. It is, at some basic level, a generic warrior with March and Combat promotions up the wazoo, See Invisible, HALO or special SeaOps capability and most importantly, a Hidden Nationality promotion!

We used to say that to be successful an Op had to be carried out in such a fashion that the target was never sure we were there, or at least had no concrete proof (Charlie Sheen movies not withstanding). The mission simply did not have much of a chance of success if the team was discovered. It has been posited that under these rules Delta Force has never had a successful mission! The SEALs fare a bit better.

Finally, SpecOps either precedes 'Stack' combat, or is a stand alone mission that the current Spy unit does for Civ IV.

BTW, the 'Promotions' mentioned are partly earned by the generic warrior, and then augmented in special training schools. These are not learned in the field! If you don't have them, you are not going on the mission. Again, apologies to Charlie.

5. genine

genine Warlord

A well that provides +1:health: in the early stages since it provides drinkable water it sure as hell boosts health!However this is probably to early and bathhouses are probabaly a better idea to go with! else one could argue that rome had a sewersystem but this is probably not the best example since it was probably the only city in that timeframe to have one!

6. bcr1776

bcr1776 Warlord

I think a well is a good idea, but am not sure that the 'Fresh Water' bonus from rivers, lakes etc. doesn't already mimic it. Certainly could use it for cities without fresh water!

7. bcr1776

bcr1776 Warlord

As far as Europe is concerned, Baths are particular to the Romanized world and are abandoned in most of Europe with the contraction of Rome in the 5th century. After that Europe stank to the heavens. ;)

8. Edward The Big

Edward The Big Bob Crane's Tripod

A Thursday night/early Friday morning release would be ideal, it would give me something to do this weekend (at least before Super Bowl XLII).

:thumbsup: :clap:

9. genine

genine Warlord

Yeah indeed as I finish my last examen on friday it would we a dream (have a lot of civing to catch up to)
    I've also tested the CASA component since I'm not sure if it's dale's final release I don't know if it depends on my laptop but it's laging a lot I need to wait 30s before the game returns to normal.Also what do you think about the mastery victory condition I stumbled across it today would you consider it implementing or what don't you like about it?

10. CHE_GUEVARA

CHE_GUEVARA Chieftain

please grave dont add more buildings... your mode is fine...!!! (except you change ones)

11. genine

genine Warlord

12. mnlg

mnlg Chieftain

Is there a difference between "Double production speed" and "builds 50% faster"?

I am running a game which is going quite long. In one of my cities, I can build a Jewish Synagogue, a Christian Cathedral, a Confucian Academy, an Islamic Mosque, a Taoist Pagoda, a Zoroastrian Fire Altar and a Buddhist Stupa.

The Synagogue, Cathedral and Fire Altar all have a "Builds 50% faster with [resource]". I have all of those resources. To build them, I need 2 turns.

The Pagoda, Mosque, Academy and Stupa all have a "Double production speed with [resource]". Again, I have all of those resources. However, to build them I need 1 turn only.

The hammer cost is the same for all seven buildings (450). Where's the catch?

13. genine

genine Warlord

it could be that this is just a freak a math where you just haven't enough to finish in one turn en you need just a little bit of the production of the second turn to complete the building. does this answer your question?

14. mnlg

mnlg Chieftain

It does, but it doesn't convince me. They all cost the same. The difference is in how the resource bonus applies to them, therefore they must mean something different but I can't see how.

Apologies if I am being off topic...

15. snipperrabbit!!

snipperrabbit!! Deity

"Double production speed" is the same for "builds 100% faster".
    Do you see the difference now ?

16. mnlg

mnlg Chieftain

Yes, thank you.
    I wonder why this disparity in treatment, then.

17. zoidberg76

zoidberg76 Civ-addict since 1991

18. snipperrabbit!!

snipperrabbit!! Deity

So do I. ;)

19. MasterTonberry

MasterTonberry Chieftain

I can't get this to work. I installed it right, in the /Civilization 4/Beyond the sword/mods folder and applied the patch, but whenever I start a custom game (which is all I play) it begins setting up the map, then I get a typical Dr Watson error message of 'the application Beyond the sword.exe has had to close. We apologise for any inconvenience' then im left at the desktop.

Ive tried installing this only to the My Games directory in My Documents as well with no success. Fall from Heaven works fine, but not this. Any ideas?

20. Grave

Grave 1 Goat = 400 Horses

Bath Houses (Thermae) are already the second unique building for the Romans. :cool:

Nothing on here can be "stolen", since we, the modders, all offer our mods, etc for free on here.

Probably mere coincidence.

Persia already has an Apothecary as a UB.

Not bad idea... I think I have a couple ideas, I just need to find a suitable building model for it.

Cool...I take it you're prior special ops? :cool:

I think I do need at least a couple more buildings, at least in the ancient era.

:mischief: