[Beyond the Sword] History In The Making

I had a weird thing, maybe it is normal though. I completed the oracle and i chosen my free tech, I than had a message about "scientific patronage etc" and had a second free tech, than a third !!!!!!
is this intended?!!!

I had a weird thing, maybe it is normal though. I completed the oracle and i chosen my free tech, I than had a message about "scientific patronage etc" and had a second free tech, than a third !!!!!!
is this intended?!!!

It depends on who you were playing as. :)

It seems to me like when applied the Martyr promotion it is being somehow reversed and +100% is being added to the enemy?

When I check combat odds I'll have something like 1.34 vs 3.40. Then apply the Martyr promo and the odds will be 1.34 vs 6.80. I can cripple an enemy with an un-upgraded warrior but with Martyr I don't do any damage.

The suicide promo seems to be working as intended with the same mechanic.

Anyone else getting this? or am I just misunderstanding how it is supposed to function

First time playing this mod today. Excellent work!!

is this intended?!!!

It's because you are playing Scientific Trait, which gives a free tech per era (something I still don't like-Sorry Grave:))- and have removed from my own games.

The Oracle must give you a free tech which advances you to Classical Era, then this tech itself gives you a free era tech, and you take a Medievel Tech, which gives you another free era tech. Which is a big part of the reason I don't like it...that Oracle slingshot. There are also others later, though not so dramatic.

Bah!

What a game I just had! Normally I don't have such dramatic games, but I just had to tell the story about this one.

I'm playing as Rome, Julius Ceasar (as always), and I'm cruising right along, wiping out barbarians as they pop up, capturing their cities, etc. My neighbor to the East, David of Israel, is starting to occupy territory that I was planning to expand upon. So what do I do?

Go to war of course. :)

David's State Religion is Judaism (surprise!) and mine is Christianity. Anyway, I capture a couple of his border towns, which were the in my "rightful territory" to begin with! Suddenly, out of nowhere, Nebuchadrezzar declares war on me! He's my neighbor to the northwest, and a fellow Christian! He captures my city bordering his nation. So I declare peace with David and focused my energies on Nebu.

I capture my city back and decide to go after the nearest city of his. It was a small coastal town of about 4. So I capture it, he takes it back, and we go back and forth a couple more times before I say SCREW IT, pillage every developed tile around the city and burn the place to the ground! So then what happens?

My "friend" Hannibal decides to declare WAR on me! He is Jewish (he didn't like the fact I went to war with his ally, David). What gets me is I was feeding this guy free techs to help build our diplomatic relations (I was trying to convert him to Christianity) and we had a decent trade system going. So he sacks two of the cities that I took from David, which I didn't have have a chance to fortify very well before Nebu attacked. So I lose two cities.

After several turns, I managed to capture one or two of them back, only to lose them again. Then David decides to declare WAR on me and aid his buddy Hannibal! None of my allies would help me (possibly because they were Jewish, too?) and the other Christian nations were too weak, or didn't like me, like Nebu.

So Israel and Carthage are wrecking havoc on my civ. Too many units... I couldn't defend my cities and tile improvements fast enough. It was an onslaught!

Then to cap it all off... Boudica decides to declare war on me, too! For centuries, I was constantly demanding tribute from her, and she'd always pay... albiet reluctantly. I guess she figured she should capitalize on my strife and take a chunk out of the Roman Empire while we were weak!

So I had three Civs beating the crap out of me... I couldn't keep up, so I decided to let the AIAutoPlay take over for a few turns... just to see what happens.

Needless to say... things didn't turn out well!

Just thought I'd share that story... it was a pretty drama filled, game! :lol:

Let me get this strait... You're playing as Rome, Palastine goes to war against you for religious reasons, Hannibal challenges you for no good reason, and that ungrateful Boudica decides you've used her and she's not going to take it any more!!

I love this game:D

Which is a big part of the reason I don't like it...that Oracle slingshot. There are also others later, though not so dramatic.

Can you elaborate on that a little further?

Can you elaborate on that a little further?

As above, 4 techs from Oracle, (3 is quite mad enough), then you get virtual Optic/Astronomy lines etc., lines that take u to Biology (which taken early gives u 2 free techs)...blah, bkah, the free tech idea to me, is just too strong....25%:science: through the ages, is absolutely plenty :)

As above, 4 techs from Oracle, (3 is quite mad enough), then you get virtual Optic/Astronomy lines etc., lines that take u to Biology (which taken early gives u 2 free techs)...blah, bkah, the free tech idea to me, is just too strong....25%:science: through the ages, is absolutely plenty :)

I'm working on the Tech Tree a little. Nothing too drastic, so I don't deviate from the original tree that much. But enough so that what your saying, doesn't happen. The Classical Era should last a few turns longer now.

Slight bug, I was able to gold rush Fort Knox. I assume that is not intended.

It's because you are playing Scientific Trait, which gives a free tech per era (something I still don't like-Sorry Grave:))- and have removed from my own games.

The Oracle must give you a free tech which advances you to Classical Era, then this tech itself gives you a free era tech, and you take a Medievel Tech, which gives you another free era tech. Which is a big part of the reason I don't like it...that Oracle slingshot. There are also others later, though not so dramatic.

OK, thanks understood. For some weird reason, I read "a new tech for Modern Era" not "new Era". But you're right it is just weird. with it I could get Machinery and roll over my neighbours with Crossbows. It is indeed too powerful I think. 25% science is already huge.
Great Mod so far. thanks Grave for the work.

wtf? adolf hitler favorit religion JUDAISM????:confused: you must be kiddin...i can`t belive my own eyes!!! totally amateur mistake

Hello Grave

Is hitm_patch_v3_19c__vista.zip ment for Vista only? or is it a general patch/update that solves problems with Vista?

I'm running XP SP3 and since hitm_patch_v3_19c__vista.zip I get an OS error related to CvGameCoreDLL.dll and then back to desktop.

Thanks

*** My mistake, no errors, no problems, it's me messing up with files ***

Hello Grave,

Regarding Enhanced Tech Conquest if it is the cause, I find my self getting a lot of free techs just by capturing small barbs cities of size 1, the city is destroyed obviously, I move my units away, wait for a whle and when the city is rebuild I do it all over again with a new tech, is it possible to disable this scenario from happening ?

My second question, in the file Great Generals From Barbarian Combat Mod Config.ini I've chosen:
Enable Great Generals From Animal Combat = False, and I'm still getting great general points from animals, could it be that the animals are considered barbarians too?

Thanks

Hello Grave

Is hitm_patch_v3_19c__vista.zip ment for Vista only? or is it a general patch/update that solves problems with Vista?

I'm running XP SP3 and since hitm_patch_v3_19c__vista.zip I get an OS error related to CvGameCoreDLL.dll and then back to desktop.

Thanks

*** My mistake, no errors, no problems, it's me messing up with files ***

hello grave, i have the same problem with patch v3_19c

Is this a feature from the mod, or from the game? Couldn't make it work

From Better BtS AI mod that is inside this mod as well as several other mods.

Can you post a savegame for me to look at?

** EDIT **

Now that I think about is... once in a very great while this happens to me, too. The way I usually remedy it is to double click back onto the city again, which should open back up to the city screen. Then I just exit out by hitting ESC and it'll usually clear up on it's own.

Quite possibly it's a bug with BUG mod, not really sure. I see BUG 4.0 is out, but as of right now I don't forsee updating to it anytime soon. It's usually a pain in the ass to do (for me), plus there are files from BUG 3.6 that are no longer in BUG 4.0, which means the player would have to manually delete these files if I include it in an HiTM patch. But if I ever re-release the main download in the first post (from v3.19 to v3.19#) I will probably add BUG 4.0 then.

I have attached a savegame, as you requested. This game settings:

Dutch faction
PerfectWorld setup (defaults)
Noble difficulty level
default game speed

Right from the start, none of the HUD displayed. The keyboard shortcuts still work, though.

Attachments

• DialACow BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    74.6 KB · Views: 53
I have a question and a couple of problems.

Firstly, the awesome game I have been playing recently (ODDYSEE speed, PLANETARY map size, 18 Civs) has been one of my best ever. So fun. I noticed however that from the start of the game, all Aztec melee, archery and mounted units had a 'Blessed' promotion.

I could only find vague information on the promotion in the Civopedia, but I did learn that it requires 'Grave's Placeholder' which in turn requires 'Future Tech'. Is this a bug? How did the Aztecs get this promotion and what are it's effects?

Secondly, I have access to three oil sources, two on land and one on my coast with a drilling platform. All sources are improved and connected to my cities, yet none of my cities have access to oil as a resource. I messed about with the world builder a bit to test it and even gave myself every tech in the game just to see if there was something I was missing.

It seems however that I just cannot have access to oil in any way whatsoever even if I have the resource tiles properly tapped. A game destroying problem to say the least, because it means I can never build Modern Era weapons.

And lastly, I wanted to know if there is a way to remove the Victory alert that is pasted all over the screen after someone meets certain victory conditions. On the last game I played, the Inca won a cultural victory in 1348 AD while people were still just starting the Industrial era. Naturally I wanted to carry on playing the game but the huge white 'PACAL II WINS CULTURAL VICTORY!!!' font pasted all over the screen is annoying at best.

Top Bottom