• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Britain is leaving the EU

Apparently, Corbyn has said that Labour will support the Government. Officially, maybe.

At this point, I really don't know. I'm not a member of the Labour party, but I've been sorely unimpressed by his performance so far.

In my constituency, it's a typical Labour/Tory bash, but you never know these days.

I just hope Labour doesn't blairitise again

Do you mean win an election? He's the only Labour leader who has won a general election in over 40 years

Do you mean win an election? He's the only Labour leader who has won a general election in over 40 years

But what is the point of having a nominal Labour victory if it is merely by plagiarising Tory policies to get elected and then
implementing them which is, with the arguable exception of the first year, basically what the Labour government did.

Better still to have an honest defeat and maintain a real opposition.

Better still to have an honest defeat and maintain a real opposition.

As opposed to a government that's only holding together because there isn't a real opposition?

A paper-maché model of Hitler could have beat the Tories in 1997. Blair's achievement wasn't stumbling drunkenly into an easy win, it was pissing that win away on foreign wars, the surveillance state and Tory-Lite economics.

Snap general election in June, if Parliament votes for it. This lady is certainly for turning.
I thought she'd been adamant that there would be no consulting the electorate until after 2020, once the European Union had been abandoned to its dire England-less fate.

She had been, but she's a politician, naturally. I will admit to being gratified that someone else picked up on the old Thatcherian line in today's headlines.

A paper-maché model of Hitler could have beat the Tories in 1997. Blair's achievement wasn't stumbling drunkenly into an easy win, it was pissing that win away on foreign wars, the surveillance state and Tory-Lite economics.

He was also the one to open the door to university tuition, starting at the time with 1000 pounds. It now is many many times that...

But that is leftwing™.

Any court would still award a penalty amount over the actual costs that have occurred for breaking the contract. Which is fair, because company B has paid some opportunity costs in accepting this contract (maybe it declined another contract because it assumed its factories would be occupied). You cannot go around and break contracts and then just assume to just pay the costs that have already occurred. There have to be penalties or otherwise nobody would have any security in planning. And company B would sue for the whole amount, even if they knew they are unlikely to get it, because there is no point in preemptively reduce the claim they legitimately have and if the judge is exceptionally sympathetic, there is a small chance they would get it.

It is the same here: The EU is going into the negotiation demanding the whole amount the UK is liable for. They know that they might not get it and will have another team making plans for that, but since the UK position is not particularly strong (they need the agreement much more than the EU does), there is no point in not demanding the full amount.

It is an interesting argument, but there is one master contract, the EU Treaty and a whole series of
ancillary measures agreed under its auspices; for which it is inappropriate to consider that every time
the UK representive for a program or project gave approval a separate independent contract was created.

The UK is not breaking the master contract; it is merely exercising an exit option built into it after which the
ancillary measures naturally fall way.

Except that contract law does not apply in this case.

This is your rejection of expert advice again, isn't it? Contract law is completely different from international law.

This is your rejection of expert advice again, isn't it?

I have not seen any expert advice explaining why the UK is automatially liable to pay
for avoidable EU project costs that may be incurred after the UK has left the EU.

The nearest analogy that would support that, that the UK should pay the EU large amounts
in lieu of alimony as if to a destitute divorced wife, is not what I would call expert advice.

The nearest analogy that would support that, that the UK should pay the EU large amounts
in lieu of alimony as if to a destitute divorced wife, is not what I would call expert advice.

But the UK still wants access to said EU wife's, home, bed and car
At the same time UK dosnt want to live under the Wifes rules
Also wife is Rich, and has a history of violence

Top Bottom