1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BtS] Diversica

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Graphics Modpacks' started by mamba, Aug 24, 2007.

1. mamba

mamba Deity

Not sure, the main flaw in that from my perspective is that Portugal (or Spain for that matter) is an invading country, not what native units would have looked like. So it is like having english units for the native americans. If they were to make a comeback, it would likely be as a region of Portugal / Spain, not a colony.

Another (smaller) issue is that there is not all that much variety in the units. Essentially it is the same two models with different weapons. I prefer the variety Bakuel provides (which is why I am now using his units for Portugal).

Usually I did recycle units I replaced into another civ, if I wanted to keep them around (e.g. Danrell's Persian units became the Safavids).

I know that for some civs that (having few models used repeatedly) is still the case. Ideally it would not be, but in those cases I decided I'd rather have the civ in with the limited variety instead of not having it at all. After all, anyone can simply delete the civ, if they do not want it ;)

So from that perspective I am not all that interested in bringing them back. I could to provide even more civs and unit variety, but they do not really add all that much (imo). Any other opinions on this out there ?

2. RPG

RPG King

I'd like to see them used for another civ or two. True, there's not much variety in them but nevertheless they're available. And in my opinion, in a tip of the the hat to Danrell who was one of the first to pump out lots of units for the game. I like how you used Danrell's units for the Safavids.

& the same arguement could be said for America as a colony of England, but America is in. Why not Brazil and Argentina? :) And there are already leaderheads available to use for Brazil and Argentina.

However, reusing the units for a region of Portugal and Spain would be cool too.

I noticed you requested a leaderhead, good choice!

3. mamba

mamba Deity

yes, Danrell got me started on this in the first place ;)

USA is generally a more important as a civ than Brazil or Argentina. Also, it wasn't a decision I made ;)

hehe, first time I did this publicly, I did it via mail once before, but unfortunately those never saw the light of day

4. RPG

RPG King

Hey mamba,

I know you're waiting for at least one leaderhead before you release but I was wondering if you're going to include any other additions? Will there be any other new leaderheards, resources, wonders, etc?

5. mamba

mamba Deity

Hehe, I just realized (again) how old the 'current' version is. There have been plenty units added since. As far as LHs go, Bleda is in for the Huns, Timurids are an all new civ (they obviously got Tamerlane) and I replaced Abu Bakr with the one from RFC.

6. mamba

mamba Deity

7. RPG

RPG King

Sweet!! Thank you for all your hard work on the mod over the years & thanks for the update! :)

8. mamba

mamba Deity

Thanks

Now that so little new stuff is being released, chances are this will be one of the last versions however. Felt it was time to release it, has been forever since the previous one, so I did not wait for new LHs.

9. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

About future plans:
    If I'm right Diversica is more or less a python/xml mod - with the exception of RevDCM
    Maybe you should base the dll on K-mod. IMO it's getting more and more the default BtS mod

10. mamba

mamba Deity

I am relying on the WoC features of RevDCM, so unless they are also in K-Mod, this won't happen (not sure if they are, never really looked at K-Mod).
    If they are, it is trivial to switch over (Diversica is all XML) ;)

I am looking at Evolution as a potential base however, just do not think it is 'there' yet.

11. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Evolution looks very promising!
    It will make a great base to this mod. Probably a couple other ones too

12. Giraffe

Giraffe Chieftain

When i try to play a scenario on single player I can't chose all the extra civs Diversica added :(

I want to play the Earth or Europe map with Israel, and even though it says the Europe one is "adjusted for 50 players" there is no way I can even add more than the default number.

When I go to custom game I chose "Earth2" map but it's just some bullcrap weird map with no water.
    :(

13. mamba

mamba Deity

The map has been adjusted to work in conjunction with a DLL which supports / uses 50 civs. This does not change what civs are on it or how many civs there are. Without this adjustment, the map would not work however (i.e. you could not simply use the Carter Earth map as is).

To have more civs, you would need additional starting locations I assume (haven't really looked into maps much).

Given that there are 5 maps provided, one of them should hopefully fit your needs however

CarterEarth(18WoC), CarterEarth(24WoC), CarterEarth(32WoC)

have 18, 24 or 32 specific civs (all are default civs, as the additional civs are optional and supporting that with maps would be a major pain)

CarterEarth(Random18WoC), CarterEarth(Random30WoC)

have 18 or 30 random civs

There is no Europe map included in Diversica, just Carters Earth map, so not sure where this is from.

I assume you can change the maps in Worldbuilder to add Israel or other civs wherever you like.

Not sure what Earth2 is, but it is not included in Diversica

14. Giraffe

Giraffe Chieftain

Thanks, but when I edit a map in world builder it needs to have the civs I want in the game from the start, or I can't seem to add any more.

Right now I can't add Israel in WB because it's never in the match to begin with. When I got to Custom Scenario it locks my civ as one of the default, and when I go to custom game the Earth maps aren't even there.

I'm really quite baffled as it seems I can only ever play as the civs I want when I just go to "play now" and it's not really ideal.
    Basically I want to play an Earth map as Israel in a custom scenario, I can add Israel as AI but I cannot play as them :(

EDIT:
    I seem to have managed by using the random earth map added for Diversica.
    Is there a way I can play Diversica mod on some default BTS maps? There is a great Europe map and I'd love to play it with Diversica.
    Thanks!

15. mamba

mamba Deity

Code:

ultimately a map is just a text file, so you could edit it in any text editor. Take CarterEarth(32WoC) for example

Spoiler :
    First, decide on which civ you want to replace, look up its ID. For simplicity I am using Arabia, as that is the first civ

Code:
    BeginPlayer
    	Team=0

so your civ has the number 0

replace its data with the civ you want to use, usually this would mean different entries for

Code:
    	LeaderType=LEADER_SALADIN
    	LeaderName=Saladin
    	CivDesc=Arabian Empire
    	CivShortDesc=Arabia
    	CivAdjective=Arabian
    	FlagDecal=Art/Custom/Flags/Flag_Arabia_Saudi.dds
    	WhiteFlag=1
    	CivType=CIVILIZATION_ARABIA
    	Color=PLAYERCOLOR_LIGHT_GREEN
    	ArtStyle=ARTSTYLE_MIDDLE_EAST

make sure you also get the starting techs right by looking at

Code:
    BeginTeam
    	TeamID=0

here you find

Code:
    	Tech=TECH_MYSTICISM
    	Tech=TECH_THE_WHEEL

change that as needed

That is it, now you are done.

You could check the UnitOwner= and CityOwner= for your civ ID, to see where its units and cities are located and maybe this way decide which civ to replace (i.e. if you want to play Israel, you may want to replace a civ which in in that region and not in e.g. America).

Alternatively, you could find a different location for your starting units and cities and change the file accordingly.

As default BtS uses less civs, you cannot simply use the map (much like I had to adjust Carters maps).

Changing the map is relatively easy though (so I can do it and upload it here), which map is it ?

16. Giraffe

Giraffe Chieftain

Hmm, what you said about the text is interesting actually - I was looking at that but I was too scared to start interfering since I didn't really know what I was doing. Thanks :3

Basically I'd like to play a scenario as Israel, but since looking at the Earth map - it's big but too big and leaves the mid-east too small.

I guess what I'd really want is the Europe map from Civ to be played with civs from Diversica, but if it's not possible I might just have to...design my own Europe map in the Diversica WB I guess, right?

Thanks for the help by the way :D

17. mamba

mamba Deity

It is possible if you edit the map a bit ;)

Place the maps in the Diversica\PrivateMaps directory

18. Giraffe

Giraffe Chieftain

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I wanted! :D

I played it for four hours last night and had loads of fun. Shame there isn't a middle-east map, but this is still really fun!

19. mamba

mamba Deity

That can be fixed ;)

As before, put the maps in the PrivateMaps directory

20. Giraffe

Giraffe Chieftain

Amazing! Thanks!
    How do I search only for maps/scenarios that work with Diversica on this site?

But thank you very much :D this is exactly what I was looking for!