• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[BtS MOD] Wolfshanze 1850-1920 Enhancement Mod v2.0

So, I'm definitely going to check out this mod at the end of my current game...

But I've noticed several bug fixes listed since the last version...

Would it be too much to ask for a post detailing what's been fixed and in what files so I can do the bugfixes myself while I wait for the new version?

Thanks!

So, I'm definitely going to check out this mod at the end of my current game...

But I've noticed several bug fixes listed since the last version...

Would it be too much to ask for a post detailing what's been fixed and in what files so I can do the bugfixes myself while I wait for the new version?

Thanks!
There's really only one issue that could be considered more then a minor thing, and that's on the previous page concerning the Khmer Axeman (and the solution is listed with the bug report). I also intend on releasing a new version within 24hrs, so I wouldn't worry about it too much, as any/all located bugs are being squashed.

Cool - thanks for the update. I won't finish my current game for a couple of days or so in any case. Large map, marathon, emperor & I'm just getting into the industrial age... :)

Newly released version 2.84.

Not much time to list stuff... my life got a lot busier, so I had to cut things short and upload... no time for projects for awhile, but I just wanted to upload this before I got side-tracked.

I wanted to do more, but time just didn't allow...

EDIT:
Oh by the way... Don't try any saved games from previous versions with this... this version REQUIRES A NEW START! Not compatible with any saved games!

New in v2.84
Fixed bug with Khmer Axeman introduced in v2.83 (oops)
New Hitler LH model (improved by NikNaks)
New Random Resources Earth Scenario Maps (indicated with an "RR" in the map name)
Paratrooper drop range increased from 5 to 7 (same range as light bombers)
Machine Gunners, AT Infantry, SAM & Mobile SAM now in a new "Trench Unit" class
Infiltration Promotion added (+25% against Trench Units)
Urban Warfare promotion added for Gunpowder Units
City Raider promotions removed from Armor Units
Available promotions for Siege Units updated
Upgrade cost of Early Flyer to more modern aircraft fixed
Airport effects broken-up into two (cheaper) buildings: Airbase with Flight, Airport with Air Superiority
Harbormaster Quest fixed to effect all naval classes
Experienced Captain Event has been updated to include all new ship classes
Dreadnoughts will no-longer appear in the modern unit build que... Dreadnoughts can now upgrade to Battleships for an exhorbant cost

New models/skins for:
Team Color Rifleman (for some civs)
European Ancient Axemen (numerous)
American Medieval Set (v3.0)
American Paratrooper
Arabian MBT
Austrian Jäger
Babylonian MBT
Carthagenian Rifleman
Egyptian MBT
English Paratrooper
Ethiopian MBT
French Paratrooper
German Horseman (Ancient & Medieval)
German Axeman (Medieval)
German Swordsman (Ancient & Medieval)
German Protected Cruiser (Scharnhorst with gloss)
German Pre-Dreadnought (Brandenburg with gloss and damage states)
Japanese Marine
Korean Marine
Mali MBT
Persian MBT
Roman Infantry
Roman Marine
Roman Paratrooper
Roman AT Infantry
Roman SAM Infantry
Sumerian MBT
Vietnamese MBT
Viking Swordsman
Zulu MBT

Kudos on the new update Wolf. The American Skins are what stole my eye. Well, I think everyone's going to be satisfied with this update for a while, giving you the time needed to focus on your life. (These damn things called lives...) Kudos, once again.

-Lean

Congrats on the Update. Shame you won't get that change in, but I understand. My life a lot busier now myself.

Be able to play your mod at work, and I can power up my laptop in the process due to having the extra work.

Firstly, loving this MOD. Needs to be a staple for all mods. I've been playing quite a lot recently and came across a few oddities. You've fixed the Khmer Axeman which is great...bit odd attacking one only to see it stand there arms out holding an axe. I see that you've added the Urban Warfare promotion, is this the same type of promotion as the "City Raider"? I'd really like to see that promotion extended to all infantry types and not just limited to pre-gunpowder units and maybe marines (forgot if they can access it). It didn't make any sense to me that armor should have access to it when cities tend to be giant coffins for tanks yet infantry (gunpower era) lose access to it.

Also, would you consider making the ironclad gunboat a UU for the US instead of making it a coastal only ship? I know it has some advantages over the ironclad cruiser and battleship (hate the animated units for both...they need a workover themselves) but when compared to both, it doesn't make much sense to build a coastal only ship when you can access ocean going vessels with better speed and weapon strength.

In my current game I have run across a major issue with the AI updating Riflemen to Machine guns. I think MG's need to be removed from the upgrade list as the AI tends to destroy an offensive army of its own by upgrading all riflemen to MG's. I've encountered stack after stack after stack of 20+ MG's, a few cavalry, cannon, and the occasional musketman / rifleman stuck in. What once may have been an ugly army now becomes a relatively weak one. Take out the cavalry and any infantry and you have a force that can't capture anything and can only move 1 space at a time. I've decimated many an AI army cuz of this.

Another thing about MG's, they seem to only have access to the Drill promotions and that melee fighting promo (gives 10 or 20% vs melee units). Could we expand this a bit? Maybe include the promotion against cavalry? or give them access to city garrision (this will make them tough but that's what infantry is for)? or even the interception promo's against early fighters / bombers and mid level fighters / light bombers?

Lastly, how's about adding in the Tzar tank for the Russians as their Early Tank? I thought that unit was finished already for the Blood and Iron Mod.

I see that you've added the Urban Warfare promotion, is this the same type of promotion as the "City Raider"? I'd really like to see that promotion extended to all infantry types and not just limited to pre-gunpowder units and maybe marines (forgot if they can access it). It didn't make any sense to me that armor should have access to it when cities tend to be giant coffins for tanks yet infantry (gunpower era) lose access to it.
In the original Civ4, City Raider (CR) is available to all Melee units (axe, sword, mace, etc), Siege units (Catapults, etc) and to Armor (tanks). It has NEVER been available to any Gunpowder units (muskets, rifles, marines, etc) or horse units (cavalry, etc). I've always thought this to be rather backwards, as historically infantry are the city-takers, not tanks.

In this latest version I released, I finally removed CR promotion from Armor... I thought long and hard about giving Gunpowder units the CR series of promotions (CR1, CR2 & CR3), but I thought it was a bit overpowered to give infantry all of these promotions, so instead, I invented a "new" promotion called "Urban Warfare" which is essentially the same as CR1, but it dead-ends there (no Urban Warfare 2 or 3). This is a solution I'm happy with... it gives the "spirit" of the city attack to infantry and away from tanks, without making it too powerful (I thought CR1, 2 & 3 was too much to give to Gunpowder units).

Simply put, modern warfare has more options to level cities then ancient warfare does, so giving all three CR promotions to modern infantry is overkill IMHO... that's why I went with the Urban Warfare Promotion in this version.

Also, would you consider making the ironclad gunboat a UU for the US instead of making it a coastal only ship? I know it has some advantages over the ironclad cruiser and battleship (hate the animated units for both...they need a workover themselves) but when compared to both, it doesn't make much sense to build a coastal only ship when you can access ocean going vessels with better speed and weapon strength.
I'm pretty happy with how Ironclad units are currently... also, as for the "look" of the units, simply put, most ocean-going Ironclads of the 1860s and 1870s were little more then armored versions of frigates and SotL with steam engines tossed-in... you may not like "the look" but it's accurate for ocean going ironclads of the period... in-fact, the "Ironclad Cruiser" is a model of the HMS Warrior... one of the first ocean-going ironclads.

Ironclad Gunboats like the USS Monitor and CSS Virginia, while novel (and perhaps "sporty") weren't much compared with the ocean going ironclads, and they weren't seaworthy either. Compared to other navies ocean going ironclads, they weren't very useful, so the fact they are mostly pointless in Civ4 is actually historically correct.

In my current game I have run across a major issue with the AI updating Riflemen to Machine guns. I think MG's need to be removed from the upgrade list as the AI tends to destroy an offensive army of its own by upgrading all riflemen to MG's. I've encountered stack after stack after stack of 20+ MG's, a few cavalry, cannon, and the occasional musketman / rifleman stuck in. What once may have been an ugly army now becomes a relatively weak one. Take out the cavalry and any infantry and you have a force that can't capture anything and can only move 1 space at a time. I've decimated many an AI army cuz of this.
This isn't an "upgrade" issue, it's an AI useage thing... in default Civ4, it's almost impossible to get the AI to build a single MG, especially in city defense. Back in v2.72 I changed the AI's "perception" of the MG where it likes it a lot more now. This was all done by changing the "Civ4UnitInfos.xml" in the Assets/XML/Units directory. See below:

Spoiler :
Code:
[B]Original XML tag:[/B]
<UnitAIs>
	<UnitAI>
		<UnitAIType>UNITAI_CITY_SPECIAL</UnitAIType>
		<bUnitAI>1</bUnitAI>
	</UnitAI>
</UnitAIs>

[B]Wolfshanze Mod changed it to:[/B]
<UnitAIs>
	<UnitAI>
		<UnitAIType>UNITAI_CITY_SPECIAL</UnitAIType>
		<bUnitAI>1</bUnitAI>
	</UnitAI>
	<UnitAI>
		<UnitAIType>UNITAI_CITY_COUNTER</UnitAIType>
		<bUnitAI>1</bUnitAI>
	</UnitAI>
	<UnitAI>
		<UnitAIType>UNITAI_CITY_DEFENSE</UnitAIType>
		<bUnitAI>1</bUnitAI>
	</UnitAI>
	<UnitAI>
		<UnitAIType>UNITAI_COUNTER</UnitAIType>
		<bUnitAI>1</bUnitAI>
	</UnitAI>
</UnitAIs>

The "UnitAI_City_Special" was an AI routine hardly recognized by the AI. So I added more AI routines which bumped it up the priority list. Maybe I added one too many... you could try deleting the "UNITAI_COUNTER" which may bring it more in-line with your desires, or you could delete all the tags back to the original, and the AI will almost never build a single MG. The idea with the change was to get the AI to use the MG to defend cities, instead of Riflemen... the AI almost never took advantage of the city-defending abilities of the MG in default Civ4.

Another thing about MG's, they seem to only have access to the Drill promotions and that melee fighting promo (gives 10 or 20% vs melee units). Could we expand this a bit? Maybe include the promotion against cavalry? or give them access to city garrision (this will make them tough but that's what infantry is for)? or even the interception promo's against early fighters / bombers and mid level fighters / light bombers?
This is a problem with the default game... In original Civ4, from BtS v3.13 and earlier, MGs have always been in the "Siege" category (with catapults, cannons and artillery) and got the same promotions... they used to get Combat1, 2 & 3 which opened up a lot of other promos... then in v3.17, Firaxis removed these promotions (and some others) and left MGs with essentially only "DRILL" as the only promotion you could get... this is something Firaxis did in v3.17. I have since reviewed the situation and reversed some things, including moving MGs to a new category (Trench Units) and they now have a lot more combat promotions available to them then before. This is in the current release of the mod.

Lastly, how's about adding in the Tzar tank for the Russians as their Early Tank? I thought that unit was finished already for the Blood and Iron Mod.
So far as I know, the Tsar Tank Civ4 model has not been made available to the public. If I had access to it, I probably would make it an Early Tank flavor unit for Russia.

I can certainly see your point about the City Raider promo's and modern units. I've just started a new game with the lastest version so I'll get to see the new urban warfare promo in action. Glad to see you were thinking along those lines. With the MG's, I'll try deleting that UNITAI_COUNTER line and see what happens. Quite absurd really, don't know what Firixas was thinking.

I did a lousy job on voicing my opinion on the ironclad vessels, my bad. The issue I have with the IC cruiser / Battleship is that the animations are lousy as compared to more contemporary models. The cruiser hops up and down when engaged in battles and looks, well, pixelated. The battleship doesn't look much better, infact it looks to be the same model, with a slightly more pointed prow (ram). I know that the early IC's were little more than old ships with iron plates and boilers crammed inside, I was just commenting on the graphical representation of them. As for the Ironclad gunboat, I personally don't see the point of it but the AI is happy to build them and I'm happy to sink them all the same.

Don't worry... the AI is happy to build ocean-going ironclads too... it's all a matter of where they are on the tech tree... Ironclad Gunboats simply become available before the ocean going ones in most cases.

Not much time to list stuff... my life got a lot busier, so I had to cut things short and upload... no time for projects for awhile, but I just wanted to upload this before I got side-tracked.

So it now is your time to put your mod on hold for a while ?

You hinted at that when I did with mine. In that case, take care and I hope you will be back to work on it soon ;)

Dunno... things are changing on this end.

i've been waiting for this release, Wolf... :goodjob: super-easy to make compatible with my scenario too- now i can check out those Trench unit abilities without playing an early game. great additions in 2.84 btw

also, good points on infantry / tanks concerning city-warfare... large obstructive objects = no fun for tanks (other than driving over their walls- if one is not being responsible for repairing the tread ;))

UNITAI_COUNTER tells the AI to stick these units in a field army stack - like spearmen, pikemen, to counter horsemen, cavalry, etc... The UNITAI_CITY_COUNTER tells the AI to stick these units in cities. So I agree with Wolfshanze, try to delete UNITAI_COUNTER. At least, that should make the AI keep it's machineguns in its cities, and will perhaps reduce the number of riflemen it upgrades to machineguns...

UNITAI_COUNTER tells the AI to stick these units in a field army stack - like spearmen, pikemen, to counter horsemen, cavalry, etc... The UNITAI_CITY_COUNTER tells the AI to stick these units in cities. So I agree with Wolfshanze, try to delete UNITAI_COUNTER. At least, that should make the AI keep it's machineguns in its cities, and will perhaps reduce the number of riflemen it upgrades to machineguns...
Come to think about it, what's "UNITAI_CITY_COUNTER" for? Is that what defends a city, or a unit that is good to take-out a city defender?... because there's obviously "UNITAI_CITY_DEFENSE", and there's even a "UNITAI_CITY_ATTACK", which would seem self-evident. Should both of the "Counter" units be removed, or just the one for the field which I previously mentioned? I got the above suggestions from Phungus back on page 50 of this thread, but I never stopped to think what each of them meant. Also, there is "UNITAI_RESERVE"... maybe that should replace CITY_COUNTER?.

I've done more reading on this... compared it with other unit AIs, and after careful consideration, I think this would make for the best MG AI... which greatly effects how the computer builds and uses these units... note I added a "NOTAI" to the unit, which will prevent the AI from sticking this unit in city attack stacks.

I'll update the main download to include this, and any early downloaders can fix this on their end (or leave it like it was, but I think the new improvements should help).

Spoiler :
Code:
		<UnitInfo>
			<Class>UNITCLASS_MACHINE_GUN</Class>
			<Type>UNIT_MACHINE_GUN</Type>
			<UniqueNames/>
			<Special>NONE</Special>
			<Capture>NONE</Capture>
			<Combat>UNITCOMBAT_TRENCH</Combat>
			<Domain>DOMAIN_LAND</Domain>
[B]			<DefaultUnitAI>UNITAI_CITY_DEFENSE</DefaultUnitAI>[/B]
			<Invisible>NONE</Invisible>