BUFFY & HOF Mod Releases

I checked and there is an ERA hover if the tech you could research (list of techs on top of screen) advances you to a new era.

Just to cover all bases, to get the list of techs you can research at the top of the screen, click on the tech that you are researching (main interface).

That hover should be in the tech-tree ruff_hi. I don't select techs via the top of the screen, and I also need to know which techs unlock new eras afterwards, because I may want to gift them to an AI to enhance it's era-related research-bonus so that it can stay a viable tech-trading-partner longer, but ofc., I don't want to gift it all of my techs but just the ones that are needed.

So - in short .. we should add the era information to the hover for all techs on F6 screen.

I have odd issue, Buffy shows me detailed combat odds when iam not holding shift, and abbreviated when iam holding it. Like oposite then it should be. I was checking swamp views but nothing happens i dont know maybe issue is somewhere in my setup but i tryied i think everything and cant fix it...

what's the best way to get a list of changes in .004?
I just played a game and noticed that the build culture overflow feature (bug) was fixed. Sux to use the feature and get screwed out of the free hammers you'd normally get.

I just played a game and noticed that the build culture overflow feature (bug) was fixed. Sux to use the feature and get screwed out of the free hammers you'd normally get.

Also noticed that already :) . I find it good though, the free :hammers: were a bug anyhow, we shouldn't have learned to use them in first place ;) .

For a list of changes, I'd look in the BUG, BAT and BULL Forum . There's a changelist, a question and answer thread and a FAQ :) .

Look in the Directory "Info" for the file Changelog.txt for the base changes from BUG and also the the "revisions" files in the main Mod directory. Sorry there's not one comprehensive list as the source is pulled from a few different places.

I'm really mostly interested in any altered gameplay like the 'build culture' fix and the rumor that global warming was tweaked. I don't want any other surprises.

I just read the entire 'New Features and Fixes' thread over there and didn't find info on these two issues. (but I did find out what's up with all those colored circles in the city BFC)

I also find it funny. I thought BUG stood for BtS Unaltered Gameplay, yet these two alone can have a huge impact in certain games.

How did the culture bug work anyway? Never used it. At least knowingly.

If you build culture on any turn borders expand, then the act of borders expanding removes culture from the queue. You need to have something in the queue after Culture, and you will get the hammers you would have gotten if you had not built culture.

Used often later in the game (obviously after Music), for example, when a city comes out of resistance. You want to pop borders in 1 turn and still start building something.

I know it's a bug, but it's been there for 10 years, so it's a feature. Now players can get a nasty surprise. Sometimes it's game breaking if you need those hammers to whip a defender.

I don't think they should alter gameplay this significantly after this many years.

Thanks for the explanation. Doubt I've come across it then, as when I build culture (very rarely) I tend to just click on that and not put anything else in the queue. Can see how it would be very useful if you can essentially both expand borders AND get hammers into a build, so you can instantly whip it without cold-whipping penalty.

The problem I see with the altered gameplay with not getting double production in the turn where :culture: finishes is, that the same fix probably causes the bug yyeah reported about. This is a major issue for BUFFY, as the mod cannot be published with a BUG-version if it has such serious bugs, therefore there is need for a version either without the fix or that is 100% working. This is directed at Ruff, LemonMerchant or everybody working on BUG. The feature with the circles btw. really needs to be turnable off, don't know if it is. It's more confusing than helping unfortunately. Someone playing CIV fast and mostly over the map might benefit from it, but a pro-player will always prefer checking the city screen because excellent micro can't be done without seeing the production and the food bar.

I like this feature with the circles.

I didnt realy use becouse i didnt have played a big game yet with a lot of cities but in space games or something with a lot of cities it just helps a lot if i can check tiles just by clicking on city.
I personally dont need to check food and producion bar every single turn witch meens i dont need to enter city screen every single turn.
But i do need check tiles.

I understand Seraiel opinion that perfect micro cant be done without entering city screen every single turn, but just for me its not fun i dont count every single hammer/food in every single city every turn for me.

So yea overall i think its a cool feature but maybe consider to make an option on/off in option screen ?

Thanks WT i didnt knew this bug i wonder how much other bugs i dont know.

In my personal opinion exploiting bugs its just wrong, not beocuse i dont know them all, its just wrong. Good that stuff is putting effort to fix them!

Edit.
Since iam allrdy writing here and since its beta.
If stuff knows any other bugs and know how to fix it please do it ! no matter how long this bug is in the game.
Bug is Bug.

@ yyeah: Micro is something you are going to need to improve on if you ever want to beat WastinTime, Kaitzilla (or maybe even me) in a Gauntlet to get 100 points for EQM ;) . Remember how many turns you lost in GM-137 because of my better micro? Every 4th :hammers: with OR is an extra :hammers: , every whip that's perfectly timed with growth is 1 (Quick and Normal) , 2 (Epic) or 3 (Marathon) :food: . Stopping Groth in a city where one built the Granary too late to give it 1 more turn to gather :food: can easily be 6 :food: , working a Hamlet instead of a Village when :commerce: isn't needed turns into 2 extra :commerce: once that Hamlet grows into a Village itself, working a :hammers: tile instead of :food: can be a whip less which could be the need for a Theater or even a Market, every bigger whip can be a whip less aswell and managing the :food: can be an extra tile 1 turn earlier which easily can again be 4 :commerce: if one claims a a riverside Hamlet. 1T Oxford can be hundreds of :science: and building Research to get a tech 1T earlier can be enough to win a race and well rotated chops may mean 1 city less with Longbows, a world wonder and all the like. The chances to simply get more from the same are very limited in CIV and the real competitions get decided by a handful of turns sometimes (GM-137 Kaitzilla 705AD, me 695AD but if you look at the SGOTMs in which Kakumeika competed against the Plastic Ducks or TSR, you'll also see that the finish times differ less than 5T) .

I understand, that microing that much is not the most fun and that not everybody likes it, but you need to overcome this at least in certain competitions. You got an incredible talent, but if you stop at the point where you lose fun, you imo. have not realized, that this site calls itself Civilization Fanatics ^^ . I hope that you'll find a way on which microing will become fun to you and where you realize it as an area in which you can develop, just like all the other areas in which you currently develop. If you make it as far as me, you'll realize that micro is just one thing, that it creates incredible chances and that it can be as interesting as a task as developing a macro-strategy is.

--------------

Apart from that: I support you on that bugs shouldn't be used at all and that it's good if someone fixes them. I'm willing to live without the extra turn of production. It was a feature, like Wastin called it, but 36T GAs, Tanks with collateral damage and all the like were features aswell and GM-137 proved, that our personal game can surpass the games of before even with being in a less powerful position patch-wise.

Global Warming is important enough, that this must not change though, because otherwise, future time games will not be able to be really competetive, and the culture needs to work flawless, because getting a wrong GP can destroy a game.

I btw. looked for an option to disable those circles and unfortunately didn't find one in the map-tab.

And a really important, probably easy to add feature imo. would be, to display the tick-mark for whips while not running Slavery. That tick mark is a great feature, this wouldn't disturb anybody and there are enough scenarios in which one would like this info, like i. e. when switching without penalty is possible (GA, SPI) .

If you build culture on any turn borders expand, then the act of borders expanding removes culture from the queue. You need to have something in the queue after Culture, and you will get the hammers you would have gotten if you had not built culture.

Suppose this is a well-known variant of the bug?

Whipped a granary in a captured city to prevent it starving, and then put culture ahead of it in the queue. When the borders expanded and culture was removed from the queue, the granary was also finished in the same turn. Not sure if the overflow was correct, but pretty neat to sort of get two builds in the same turn.

This was with .003. I've not tried .004 yet.

Top Bottom