Bug reports and technical issues

I have loaded about a dozen Phoenician starts and played them to a bit after the Roman spawn to see India go nuts myself, but haven't been able to confirm yet. However, I've found something else strange happening to India: usually they'll be researching Iron Working when Phoenicia spawns, with a bunch of turns left. But when they reach the final turn of researching it and I pass the turn, instead of completing Iron Working they're suddenly only halfway done researching it and suddenly have 6 or 7 turns left before they get it.
You have just passed the turn where tech costs get changed based on era.

It gets worse - I've tried to replicate it, but it seems to be an entirely random occurrence. In most of my attempts to replicate, it techs normally, but it occasionally goes on a tech rampage.
Same here, couldn't reproduce the problem yet.

Ah, that makes sense; it happens in 1000 BC so that does seem a logical point for that to happen.

-Suleiman is crazy for crabs, once he offered me 8GPT and 1 marble for just 1 crab*

This probably isn't a bug. If you have at least one city with the Luxury corporation (the one that requires Marble, amongst other resources) then the AI will happily trade you additional Marble resources plus gold-per-turn for a resource that it doesn't have. The first Marble would cost proportionately more to trade for, but once you have your first, additional Marble resources are valued much less by the AI.

I was playing a Phoenician game yesterday before I left my house to stay elsewhere, I've gotten back today and I am completely unable to get the game on at all, doesn't matter whether I try to load the save directly, or open any of the scenario maps it just won't load. It gets to about less than a quarter of the way through the load and then stops and closes down, the text at that point says: [RFC Dawn of Civilization] Init MP/Voice, and then I cannot see anymore text it cuts off the rest

Can you start BtS or other mods?

Bleh, no none of it seems to be working, it all gets stuck at the same place. Probably should have tried getting the normal game on before I posted on here, sorry about that. I just don't understand why it's stopped working, haven't done a thing to the laptop or the game folders, since I left the hose yesterday.

EDIT: No worries, the problem seems to have sorted itself out, I still have absolutely no idea what was wrong though tbh.

& here's a problem with the experience for TC troops feature that I & I alone am likely getting--what is it with Win8 & those three python files?

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 61
& here's a problem with the experience for TC troops feature that I & I alone am likely getting--what is it with Win8 & those three python files?
Fix is committed.

I can't seem to trade gold with any civs as Mexico. Haven't tried any others; what might the cause be?

EDIT: also I don't seem to have any unit responses; when I click on a unit it's silent.

In my recent game as Egypt catholicism never was founded.
And also, when I played as China, Mongolia didn't appear at all ! But I noticed it too late...
Have no save games for both cases, just reporting.
edit: 3000 BC starts. svn 527

Did you load the game around the Mongolian spawn? That usually messes the spawn up.
May be.
The problem is that I don't know exactly when they appears, I know that between 1150 and 1290, but when exactly... Never played as Mongolia and almost never as China.
But, yes, I believe that the reason is that I have loaded the game in date when they appears. I think I have seen something similar before, but don't sure...

I got a 'Failed initializing python' error when I tried to load up DoC.

And when I tried to update the SVN I got this:

Update
sqlite: disk I/O error
no such savepoint: s1, executing statement 'RELEASE s1'
no such savepoint: s1, executing statement 'ROLLBACK TO s1'

EDIT: Tried again. Now this:

Update
Working copy 'C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond
the Sword\Mods\RFC Dawn of Civilization' locked.
'C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the
Sword\Mods\RFC Dawn of Civilization' is already locked.

Looks like the problem is on your side. I'm not sure if you need administrator privileges to update but trying your admin login might be worth a try.

Not that it's a huge problem, as the cities themselves still have the shrine, but are holy cities supposed to lose the star? I don't think I've played a game where Rome & the Protestant HC keep the holy city designation past the 17th or 18th C.

Civilopedia text issues:

Apparently on a arbitrary basis, some wonders start with "The" and some don't. I can't see why "Blue Mosque" isn't "The Blue Mosque" any more than I can see why "The Colossus" isn't just "Colossus". Either they should all get "The" or they should all lose it, for consistency. I would probably favour dropping "The" from all of the entries which have it.

The Apostolic Palace text says that your state religion must be present in the city. This is not correct. Your state religion must be Catholicism would be more correct.

The corporation text files are all screwed up. Trading Company corporation has the text for Fishing Industry (or really the Sushi Co. text). Cereal Industry has Ethanol Co. text, which doesn't seem appropriate. There are many more similarly messed up text entries for corporations.

Various wonders also still have text about requiring "at least 3 teams", which is redundant.

The Zoroastrian and Orthodox religious buildings have no civilopedia entries. Suggest that they should just copy the generic CivIV text which is used for all of the other religions.

Dun and Ikhanda are still listed in civilopedia, despite Celts and Zulus not being playable civs.

Tambo has no civilopedia text. Suggest this if nothing else is available:
Spoiler :
A Tambo was an Incan structure built for administrative and military purposes. Found along Incan roads, tambos typically carried supplies, served as lodging for itinerant state personnel and were depositories of quipu-based accounting records. Different types of tambos existed: those that served to lodge the traveling Inca and his entourage (typically wives and state officials) and those that served as relay stations for the chasquis, who were state messengers who ran along state roads. These were about a single day's walk apart, with major installations about every five to six days walk and were kept well supplied.
The RFC Concepts tab has a few entries that need some work. Welcome to Rhye's and Fall of Civilization could do with a touch up. As could Historical Starts, which mentions the old America spawn date in 1733. There are others, but generally all of this tab should be reviewed for Doc relevance.

Thanks, most of that are things which can be addressed without too much work (i.e. writing new texts).

For the wonder names, even though my linguistic intuition is probably not as reliable as yours considering I'm an ESL person, I think in some cases the "The" needs to be there. These are cases where it's a proper instead of a descriptive name (just "Colossus" sounds weird) or it's a specific building with a generic name. E.g. there are many Great Libraries, but The Great Library refers to one specific library. For most of the new wonders I chose them quite arbitrarily though so I'll give it a look.

Top Bottom