1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

By a Single Decision (Alternate History)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Stories & Tales' started by das, Sep 18, 2004.

1. das

das Regeneration In Process

Interesting how there are nearly no thoughtful comments here...

2. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Fine.
    Spoiler Thoughtful comment :
    Can we get something from the Far East, or the Egyptian theater again?

V, why did you have to initiate stroking das' ego? It hurts....

3. das

OOC: Well, those thigns will have to get in a line, as I already do have something written up. As already promised, the Carribbean Sea. After that, Indochina, but after that, something on Christianity.

IC:

Chapter Eighty Two.

As was mentioned before, when the Western Caliphate began to collapse, the various colonial governors in the Far West became de facto independant rulers. By the time when came 1010, every island and mainland colony there was an independant nation, but that situation was quite unstable. Indeed, it was increasingly obvious that Aravistan (ruled by a native, yet Muslim, king) was the strongest of the new nations, whilst the colony of Nafar proved too weak to sustain the malaria outbreak coupled with native raids, 1011. "Khalidid Island", or Khalidid Coast as it was increasingly called, was decimated by Berber raiders in 1012 and 1015. Hayta (OTL Haiti) quickly disintegrated into warring factions.

So it was hardly "startling" that Aravistanis, who were the most numerous of the colonists, carved out a regional empire for themselves. Iksander ibn-Mazzut, ruler of Aravistan, only sped up the process with his power of persuasion. He allied with Berber priates and persuaded numerous Haytan factions to swear their allegience to him. With stick and carrot, by 1020, save for the Rashi Islands all of the Carib Sea (OTL Carribbean Sea) was ruled by Iksander from the city of al-Kemallah.

4. das

Any interest left?

5. blackheart

blackheart unenlightened

Yes, something about China or Vietnam now please.

6. jalapeno_dude

jalapeno_dude AKA Panda Judo Eel

I'm interested in anything you write about this timeline.

7. ThomAnder

ThomAnder Deity

east east east... (not so much it goes across pacific and end up in america again)

8. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

I'm still waiting for my requests to finally make it up the long list :lol:

9. das

OOC: Nothing interesting is happening in the Far East, there were only token changes in Indochina.

IC:

Chapter Eighty Three.

Early 11th century saw comparative peace in Indochina and Indonesia. For most, this was a time of consolidation, rather then conquest. The daily routine of the lives of Indochinese peoples was only interrupted by Ceylonese and Cholan raiders. The latter were opertaing from the Andaman islands, mostly, after the Chandallan conquest of the Cholan homeland in 997, and some of them became more of pirates then of raiders. Most combined, though.

In the same time, however, there was the prosperity of trade - as Hadramautean, Indian and eventually Chinese sea trade routes extended to and went through Indonesia and Indochina. In Indonesia, the great mercantile empire of Srivijaya soon dispatched trade missions of its own to China and India.

Further north, in Indochina, there were several countries: three in Burma (Pagan, Chan and Pegu), one in Siam (Dvaravati), the Khmer Empire and two Vietnamese states - Annam and Champa. Again, mostly this was a time of peace. Mostly, because in 1015, the Paganese, with the help of Chola mercenaries, conquered Chan, while Pegu would fall to Pagan's feet in 1019. Pagan was a rising power indeed...

10. Archaon175

Archaon175 Chieftain

wow! those were amazing you gotta post some more common you just gotta :goodjob:

11. Archaon175

Archaon175 Chieftain

Das have you ever thought about publishing this story?

12. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

I started reading this thread 2 days ago, and now I'm finished. I loved it. How far are you going to bring it through time? I'd really like to see it in modern times. Oh, and you mentioned that you weren't getting enough thoughtful comments. Is this thoughtful enough?
    Thoughtful comment of the day: What does OTL mean?

P.S. Archaon and I are in the same computer classroom pretending to work while reading this awesome althistory. Keep it up.

P.S.S. He's nuts.

13. Archaon175

Archaon175 Chieftain

Umm Lord Iggy i have no clue as to who you are and I dont have a computer class:dubious:

14. das

Probably not...
    Well, I DO hope to get it there one day. But when?
    Our TimeLine.

Work on the next part underway...

15. das

Chapter Eighty Four.

Time has come to speak about European Christianity as of early 11th century. Now, ofcourse, there were the Nestorians in Central Asia, the Coptics in Egypt, the Orthodox in Byzantine Empire, etc, etc, but I don't think I explained the Christianity in Western and Central Europe.

The fall of Charles Martel's empire, and the Saxon-Avar invasions, and finally the great Magyar invasion - all this shook up the Catholic Church badly. In fact, apart from religious enclaves, only Lombardy and Venice remained Catholic. Catholicism by then was very entwined with the Sacred Roman Emperor, and Lombard king, the Pope being his de facto chief advisor. It indeed became increasingly a political tool, but a tool that occasionally was using its owner.

In the Magyar states, Christianity was seriously weakened, and though there were some Catholics remaining in Itala and some Orthodox remaining in Magyaray, generally the Christians there, up to circa 1010, were disorganized and individualized ("village sects" were common due to this). At about 1010, Charles Tareling, a great theologist and a future Gaelic saint, managed to organize a "Gaelic Christian Church" in Francia. The Gaelic Church was rather similar to the Aryan one, but also adopted some Magyar and many old Frankish cultural elements. Gaelic churches would eventually gain the favor of the Francian ruler, Tamarlyn II, and some of them would appear in Itala and west Hermaland.

Brittany too experienced a Church renaissance, but despite Gaelic church spreading there as well, the dominant Christian sect there was the "Celtic" (sometimes "Irish") Christianity, known both for its ascetism and for its written tradition. It was brought there by refugees from Ireland and Wales.

Celtic Church was also widespread in parts of Britain, but also there, amongst the Viking Christians (a minority, but a growing one), a bastardized version of Christianity came to be. Indeed, Christian legendary characters often even received Scandinavian names (Jesus, for example, became Gicur). This religion mixed pagan Scandinavian beliefs heavily with Christian ones, and also lacked a strong structure, and thus had a multitude of mini-sects, often one such sect for an entire clan.

16. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Good stuff. Keep it up! :D
    Hmm, no powerful christian nations. There goes half of the real world's war history ;)

17. Thlayli

Thlayli Le Pétit Prince

Wow, what a great history you've written here! It puzzles me why anyone would rate this thread anything but Excellent. Your history seems to be really well researched, and I also like your informative but exciting style. I'm definitely adding this to my Favorites so I can check it each morning.

Also, it would be nice to hear a little more about what's happening internally in the Byzantine Empire, and how the conquest of the Holy Land and Mesopotamia has affected the Empire culturally and trade wise as well. Perhaps a cultural revival is in order, with the capture of the earliest Christian holy sites and their relics taking place. As Byzantium increases it's land towards what it was in the heyday of Rome, it'll be interesting to see if the balance of power tilts in favor of the Patriarch or the Emperor, too.

Keep up all the fine work, we love your writing. ;)

18. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Don't let this thread die, I'm still reading.

19. das

Am still working on it. You know I am.

20. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

E-e-excellent.