C2C - Civics Discussion Thread

They do at random, if not by design. Clumping takes place in chaos on occasion. Example: you may have no copper at all on your continent while copper is more than plentiful on another landmass.

@JosEPh_II :
The way tribal warfare vs banditry used to work, I was quite happy with keeping thieves and rogues limited to the banditry civic. However, Tribal Warfare now is good enough to make it a real inhibition to not select it, not just a minor choice to get some financial benefit.

As a result, I now agree with you regarding the Bandit's Hideout. I would like some kind of middle of the road solution though. Perhaps the Bandit's Hideout must be had to enable building another building that ends up being a prerequisite... A den of thieves perhaps, or a Thieves' Pact? Something that says you did spend a little time in Banditry and took some steps to accomplish opening up criminal units for yourself. What do you think could work for that?

So you want BH to open the door for another "bldg" that would then allow Rogues, Thieves, etc to be built? Or do you want a Bldg that must be built before BH (a prereq for getting BH) so that you can then build BH to get it's units?

Since early marauding bands were males that refused to be community minded and banded together to take what they wanted, how about a Tech/Bldg called Outcasts?

Perhaps the Tech Banditry should have a prereq Tech by that name? Or is Thieves Tech now a prereq for Banditry? Need to look at the tech tree again for pecking order.

JosEPh

@JosEPh_II :
The way tribal warfare vs banditry used to work, I was quite happy with keeping thieves and rogues limited to the banditry civic. However, Tribal Warfare now is good enough to make it a real inhibition to not select it, not just a minor choice to get some financial benefit.

As a result, I now agree with you regarding the Bandit's Hideout. I would like some kind of middle of the road solution though. Perhaps the Bandit's Hideout must be had to enable building another building that ends up being a prerequisite... A den of thieves perhaps, or a Thieves' Pact? Something that says you did spend a little time in Banditry and took some steps to accomplish opening up criminal units for yourself. What do you think could work for that?
I am not sure but if BH goes doesn't any building that require it also go/stop working?

So you want BH to open the door for another "bldg" that would then allow Rogues, Thieves, etc to be built? Or do you want a Bldg that must be built before BH (a prereq for getting BH) so that you can then build BH to get it's units?

Since early marauding bands were males that refused to be community minded and banded together to take what they wanted, how about a Tech/Bldg called Outcasts?

Perhaps the Tech Banditry should have a prereq Tech by that name? Or is Thieves Tech now a prereq for Banditry? Need to look at the tech tree again for pecking order.

JosEPh
Well, the important thing to consider is that if the player has control over the unit then the unit is answering to the state and the orders of its ruler. So they wouldn't consider themselves outcasts unless they were pretending to be to the rest of the world, which they pretty much are but I don't want to confuse the player on that.

I am not sure but if BH goes doesn't any building that require it also go/stop working?
Soon as Joe started looking for clarification I had the same concern.
Civic requirement tag for buildings have a special tag that allows the building to remain if you change the civic.
Well there you go then. Just make the Bandit's Hideout continue to remain if you change the civic and bob's your uncle! Mission accomplished. What tag is that?

Well there you go then. Just make the Bandit's Hideout continue to remain if you change the civic and bob's your uncle! Mission accomplished. What tag is that?

Code:
            <PrereqAndCivics>
                <PrereqCivic>
                    <CivicOption>CIVIC_BANDITRY</CivicOption>
                    <bPrereqCivic>1</bPrereqCivic>
                </PrereqCivic>
            </PrereqAndCivics>
            <!-- Obsolescence -->
            <bRequiresActiveCivics>1</bRequiresActiveCivics>
Delete this line: <bRequiresActiveCivics>1</bRequiresActiveCivics>

Code:
            <PrereqAndCivics>
                <PrereqCivic>
                    <CivicOption>CIVIC_BANDITRY</CivicOption>
                    <bPrereqCivic>1</bPrereqCivic>
                </PrereqCivic>
            </PrereqAndCivics>
            <!-- Obsolescence -->
            <bRequiresActiveCivics>1</bRequiresActiveCivics>
Delete this line: <bRequiresActiveCivics>1</bRequiresActiveCivics>
Awesome! Done and thanks!

I still dont like some of the "new" civics, infact, some are quite useless / / / IMPO

see pics 1-3, Prophets is useless IMPO, compared to the 1 before and 1 after .. .

pic 4 Charity no use at all, really .. .

then labor and currency also, again IMPO , i like stuff that gives u more stuff,, as the song says, More, More, More . . .lol

thoughts, ideas??

Attachments

• dc.JPG
    dc.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 169
  • prop.JPG
    prop.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 193
  • State ch.JPG
    State ch.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 188
  • charity.JPG
    charity.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 172
@strategyonly: I tend to skip divine cult, and wait for Prophets, mainly for the -10% cash per city but for the other penalties as well (if I remember correctly: if you have more than 1 religion, you don't only get unhappiness but also REV penalties). I'm content with the religion civic as it is.

Charity civic is underwhelming. I usually don't bother changing it from the initial one.

Charity is just fine imho. It only had the 2% Maint cost removed. And that was it.

The Religion choices are okay imho too, Except that Divine Cult has Too Much filler in it. But it's the 1st Choice you can use to found a religion.

Just how I see it anyway.

JosEPh

@strategyonly: I tend to skip divine cult, and wait for Prophets, mainly for the -10% cash per city but for the other penalties as well (if I remember correctly: if you have more than 1 religion, you don't only get unhappiness but also REV penalties). I'm content with the religion civic as it is.
But then u lose -10 on war, 30% in Capital (which is probably) the highest gold in a town . .and if u have more than 1 rel by then ur doing better than most, i dont ever get a rel until classical era . .
Charity is just fine imho. It only had the 2% Maint cost removed. And that was it.

The Religion choices are okay imho too, Except that Divine Cult has Too Much filler in it. But it's the 1st Choice you can use to found a religion.

Just how I see it anyway.

JosEPh

Well i believe IF u are in the "Welfare: civic, u should get some gold out of if somehow, ??? that early in the game, at least. . .

But then u lose -10 on war, 30% in Capital (which is probably) the highest gold in a town . .and if u have more than 1 rel by then ur doing better than most, i dont ever get a rel until classical era . .

Well i believe IF u are in the "Welfare: civic, u should get some gold out of if somehow, ??? that early in the game, at least. . .

You didn't get any Gold. You lost Gold the way it was set up. In fact, the way all the other Charity Civics past Charity are set up, they Cost you gold per turn to use. More expenses to the Empire.

JosEPh

My perspective:

Divine Cult is helpful, yes. The bonuses to constructing buildings and training units is good. However, the penalty to Great People, :gold:, and :culture: is a pain. The bonus to worker speeds is a bit confusing. The rest is just meh.

I find Prophets to be much better. While the loss of the bonus to buildings and units is a minor pain, I find that effectively gaining +30% to Great Person gain rate more than offsets it. Plus you regain the :gold: and :culture: that was lost to the Cult. The Shrine and Mystic's Hut are helpful as well.

State Church is definitely better, as by the time I get there, I have usually founded many religions and have their unique buildings as well.

I generally skip Charity as well. I'm not sure why offhand, but it just doesn't seem worth it most of the time. Oh yeah, and I like to retain the ability to build more Lichen Gatherers.

Besides, the religion civic has immersion value too. When I think of Divine Cult, I think of Thulsa Doom from the Conan the Barbarian movies, the cult leader of a religion that worships Set, a Snake God. Or the Pharaos of Egypt. With prophets/state church I think of the development of the Judeo-Christian tradition.

This is somewhat random, but I was wondering if anyone had considered incorporating the concept of a palace economy into C2C. It's one that had quite a considerable degree of influence during what C2C calls the Ancient Era, and could bring its own benefits and disadvantages as an Economy Civic in its own right.

I was thinking a Civic that gives you massive boosts to the capital (maybe also cities in "second palace" type wonders) and "monarchical/aristocratic" type things, but at the expense of draining a lot of :gold: and other commerces from your other cities. It would parallel some other civics in this way, and would allow foreign trade (unlike Subsistence), giving the player a choice between a supercharged capital and a distributed international trade network.

This is somewhat random, but I was wondering if anyone had considered incorporating the concept of a palace economy into C2C. It's one that had quite a considerable degree of influence during what C2C calls the Ancient Era, and could bring its own benefits and disadvantages as an Economy Civic in its own right.
It's a civic in my C2C modmod, still a work in progress that, so there isn't much content to all the new civics.

Last edited:
@Toffer,
Are you keeping these civics rather simple since you have so many?

@Toffer,
Are you keeping these civics rather simple since you have so many?
I'd like to keep them simple, but it's not a rule I adhere to.
Atm. many of the civics have no modifiers, "empty civics", and I expect the non-empty civics to change when I fill in the empty ones.
It's very much a WIP.

Top Bottom