C3C-mac ships tomorrow! (Dec14)

If anyone wants me to do this- I can get some copies from smalldog.com and send them off. They still have five copies available and there isn't too much of a demand for them in Vermont (so far). :cool:

Looks like they're popping up in stores now. I saw three or four at Rosedale, MN.

Does anybody know of any deals online or at specific stores, or are they pretty much all $49?

ancestral said:
Does anybody know of any deals online or at specific stores, or are they pretty much all $49?

Best I've found is at mac-pro.com, for only $37.77. I think that is the deal for me. See:

http://www.mac-pro.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.108/it.A/id.2893/.f

Another option I discovered, which would get you a free copy, essentially, if you lived in the right states, is to (OK, this is kinda silly, but still, a free copy's a free copy) open a bank account at Compass Bank, and get your complementary $50 gift certificate to Amazon.com. Not worth the trouble, for me, but there it is....

I ordered it from Amazon, they shipped with tracking, USPS said it left the closest sorting center on the 16th, which normally would mean I'd get it on the 17th. I've been checking the tracking website day and night, but no sign of it passing through my local post office. So today I left for a Dr's appointment at 12:20 and the mail was delivered at 12:40 with a note saying a package was left for me at the manager's office. The only package I'm expecting is C3C, so of course I didn't get home until 5:30; the office closed at 4:30 and won't be open 'til 10 tomorrow at the earliest. I'd rather not have it, than have it where I can't get to it. :wallbash:

Called the Apple store, they had it. It's not even on the shelves yet (still in the back), but they reserved a copy and my wife went to get it for me while I was at work. Came home, played, very happy. Still a little bummed that there's no editor... but I'll live.

Um... Brad? If you and the gang decide to do an unsupported Civ3 editor, I'd be happy to test it for you...

Finally got my serial number problem straightened out. Played a bit on a tiny map to check out the new features. I started thinking, this is Civ3 COMPLETE, right, for which we're paying almost twice as much as PC players? I don't mind paying extra for a better product, but how can it be COMPLETE with:

No Editor

PTW is "an unsupported extra"

No printed manual.

I agree that it's a lot of money, but I guess I just think of it as the price we pay for using Macs (which I feel is worth it to use the Mac OS).

If anyone should hold a grudge about Civ costing too much. Here's what I've spent on Civ3 alone:
Civilization 3 (PC): $50
Civilization 3 PTW (PC): $30
Civilization 3 Conquests (C): $30
Civilization 3 (Mac): $50
Civilization 3 Complete (Mac): $50
I've spent $210 just on ONE game! In some ways, this disappoints me because to be perfectly honest, I have always believed that Civilization Conqeusts (or Complete or whatever you want to call it) is what the original game should have been. Vanilla civ always felt like a beta release to me, and it was unfair to have to spend $110 to get the finished product (and in some ways, still not complete - like the Diplomacy screen should show all 16 Civ's portraits at the same time, not just 8).

However, I love the game so much that I don't regret buying it; and I didn't think twice about buying Complete Mac because since I already spent so much on Civ3, I want to support the porting of Civilization games to Mac as much as possible.

Blue Monkey said:
I don't mind paying extra for a better product, but how can it be COMPLETE with:

No Editor

PTW is "an unsupported extra"

No printed manual.

There wasn't room on the box to squeeze in "99% complete"? ;) In all seriousness, the only omission of note is the editor, and we've beaten that to death on this forum well before the release.

iamliberal said:
I've spent $210 just on ONE game! In some ways, this disappoints me because to be perfectly honest, I have always believed that Civilization Conqeusts (or Complete or whatever you want to call it) is what the original game should have been. Vanilla civ always felt like a beta release to me, and it was unfair to have to spend $110 to get the finished product (and in some ways, still not complete - like the Diplomacy screen should show all 16 Civ's portraits at the same time, not just 8).
You know, it's kind of like OS X.

Mac OS X came out and it felt like a beta. Jaguar, (the PTW of OS X) was what people had expected there to be all along. Panther (Conquests) was just way better with tons of new features, and people certainly shelled out their money and upgraded.

And Tiger is out now (Civ IV), and has gotten near perfect reviews.

The point is, when it's a good product, people will buy it, because it is worth getting — even if it's not perfect. Sometimes it's missing things (multiplayer in vanilla Civ or CD burning when OS X first came out) and sometimes a better version just comes along, with more Civs or Dashboard widgets. But hey, at least Civ costs way less than a copy of OS X :) ($110 is still less than buying a retail copy of Mac OS X!)

At this rate I'm going to have to hop on a plane to the States to get my copy - Amazon UK's delivery estimate is moving at a slightly higher rate than one week per week :eek:

Well, that was the last straw. Cancelled on Amazon and placed the order on MacGold. They claim to have it in stock, so we'll see :p

AlanH said:
At this rate I'm going to have to hop on a plane to the States to get my copy - Amazon UK's delivery estimate is moving at a slightly higher rate than one week per week :eek:
Good God.

If it's really that bad, PM me. I'll pick one up at the Apple Store at FedEx it to you. I think the British localization is already on the disk... ;)

Eat your heart out, Amazon!

Their estimated delivery date moved to 3-10 Feb yesterday. So I placed a new order on MacGold in the wee small hours of this morning and cancelled my Amazon order.

MacGold have emailed to say they have shipped. I could have it tomorrow :D

Good luck, Alan! You've dabbled with the PC version, right? I'll be interested to see what your impressions are of the Mac version – and how they compare.

My Peecee is a 200 MHz Pentium-nothing with a minimalist video card and 80 MBytes of RAM running 98se. I say 'running', but crawling would be more appropriate. If it ever got up enough steam to actually launch C3C I'd be amazed. It's used to 'run' CivAssist and CrPSuite and IE to check web pages, and it dual boots into Red Hat to compile utilities for the GOTM web site.

This is a GOT IT! :D

Now to install it and see what all the fuss was about.

Top Bottom