Calling all Let's Play creators, readers and viewers!

Yeah, a part of me agrees with you. Still its nice to have some sort of library or archive to go back and see the early startup of civ5. Make it a historylesson of Civ5.

There is alot of education in those vids as well; unit movement especially. But with both RAs, SPs and techtree adjusted it should be marked as outdated or something.

I'm sure we'll have someone try to find them all (not sure if everyone was obvious with the titles though).

Personally I have no problem with the proposed changes? However I can see where those who make the point about LP's having a place in the Strategy and Tip's forum are coming from. As a compromise, would creating an LP forum as a subform to Strategy and Tip's work?

On a completely different note, I'd just like to say thank you to the content team for their work. It's made my enjoyment of this game a hell of a lot better.

If you like to watch them, would it really be that hard to go to another part of the forum? :confused:

Wading thru something called stories and tales to find them? I've been a member here since 2003 and can say I don't think I've ever looked in a stories and tales sub-forum. Not in CiV for sure. No clue if anything like that even existed or exists for IV or III.

So, I just took a look at that forum. Yeah, no interest in what's going on over there. I think it's pretty likely that I'll end up fading from the list of LP viewers.

Now if you made a Let's Play sub-forum of Strategy and Tips? I'd check it out regularly.

Like I said, I may be a very unusual viewer, but on that chance that I'm not, thought it might be info you'd be interested in.

I would like to encourage the people who makes the let's play threads to keep some standard information in thread name, like what civilization you play, the difficulty and maybe some special setup or premise of the thread.

I would also suggest that some of the experienced LP makers write a small guide on how to make a good LP.

Wading thru something called stories and tales to find them? I've been a member here since 2003 and can say I don't think I've ever looked in a stories and tales sub-forum. Not in CiV for sure. No clue if anything like that even existed or exists for IV or III.

There's even one for II ;).

Now if you made a Let's Play sub-forum of Strategy and Tips? I'd check it out regularly.

There's not enough activity for that.

I would like to encourage the people who makes the let's play threads to keep some standard information in thread name, like what civilization you play, the difficulty and maybe some special setup or premise of the thread.

You should read the opening post again ;).

So long as there's a link in the Strategy & Tips forum to wherever they end up . . .

As long as you read/watch LPs, or make them, your opinion counts :goodjob:

Yay! :)

But ultimately I agree with your notion that if I like to watch/read them, I will go wherever I know I find them. So giving them their own, prominent space is actually a good idea, in whichever forum that may be.

You should read the opening post again ;).

I was refering to the thread name, not the LPs opening post, having somewhat standerdised threadnames will make the forum easier to read, and easy to find the type of LP you want to see.
Civilization, difficulty level, a full game or a particular strategy...

I would also suggest that some of the experienced LP makers write a small guide on how to make a good LP.

What type of thing are you thinking about? A thread with the technical mechanics of recording/uploading? Or more generally about how to act/what to show or say?

Actually all of the things you mention, maybe devide it into a technical section, and a presentation section.
I truely have no idea what it takes to make a LP, but I like watching them.

A guide about this could also open a discussion about good procedures to think over when making a LP.

Calling all Let's Play creators, readers and viewers!​

The Content Staff would like to get your feedback on the following proposed changes to the Civ 5 forums (to take effect in approximately one week):

We want to give Let's Plays a more permanent place in the forums, and help out with the organization of them for the viewers.

I recently joined the community as an author of LPs. You have my vote. I support this. Let me know where to submit my work, when the platform is ready.

ok, only another day or so left for giving feedback.

So far, it seems the take away is:

1) Go for it, make the changes.

2) Have some sort of link from the Strategies section to the S&LP section, at least for a few months.

3) Maybe allow LP creators to have discussion threads in the strategy section.

Anything else?

Can we have a sticky thread of how to make a LP video at few cost? I'm interested to do some. Probably without commentaries, like DaveMcW, because i just suck when i speak english(big accent).

on the topic of what people would like to see in the OPs of the LPs (lol):

Check this one and state what other information would be desired (in this thread). Obviously the thread Prefix will come once those exist, but we can use it as a starting point for discussions.

Right now it has:

Author, Difficulty level and civ in the title.

patch #, PC/Mac, Mods/no mods at the top.

- Map type, size, game speed and other settings in the 'comments'.

And of course a link to the video (ok, it's embedded, but you know what I mean).

since im already watching lets play videos, it would not be a problem for me if they where moved, i would look for them
but if i joined the forum in a few months time and there was no link on the strategy forum i would never find them
i have played games for more than 25 years now, and i have never opened a stories and tales subforum

since im already watching lets play videos, it would not be a problem for me if they where moved, i would look for them
but if i joined the forum in a few months time and there was no link on the strategy forum i would never find them
i have played games for more than 25 years now, and i have never opened a stories and tales subforum

we will have a link up for some time.

though, to be fair, it won't be called 'stories and tales' anymore. It will be called "Stories and Lets Plays".

So it should be obvious where they are ;)

If you're playing at deity level -- and having interesting things to say and show at that level -- then, in my mind, your "let's play" belongs in "Strategy and Tips" forum.

As a viewer, I don't care about Prince, King, or anything lower than Deity LPs. Relegating those over to the stories and tales forums I am fine with -- but not because I want to see them, but rather because I don't want to see them. What I do want to see: the greatest challenge Civ 5 offers taken on by the best players with the most cogent rationales and the most daring strategies.

So, I'm against this move, since it means that excellent strategy threads -- like the ones about your LPs or those of wainy -- will move over to another forum that I will not check.

Somewhat self-involved, but there you go. "No."

Top Bottom