Calls for a boycott of Thor over the casting of a black actor

But yes if I recall, Thor is about some guy who found Thor's hammer and is imbued with his powers. What, can't a black guy find a hammer too?

"In early 2010 they even used their Captain America comic to attack the TEA Party movement"
Wait. What? Really?
It depicted a Tea Party rally with one of the racist signs that have popped up at those things.
Cap commented to the effect that it made him a sad panda.

It depicted a Tea Party rally with one of the racist signs that have popped up at those things.
Cap commented to the effect that it made him a sad panda.

How do we know that attacks the tea party movement and not racism? Maybe that was the most easiest way to show racism.

As for the movie: No big deal, really. Its silly to freak out over that. It's a MOVIE.

That's largely what it was, though some people complained about it conflating racism and the tea party movement.

By the way, Thor says he doesn't care and just to buy him beer - lots of it. :)

Boycott the 'Passion of the Christ'! They stuck a white guy in the role of Jesus! :mad:

I don't think Scandinavians from 1,000 years ago felt a lot of pressure for interracial inclusiveness in their religion.
A great many Scandinavians from 1000 years ago had already been converted to Christianity.

I don't agree with much of what those guys say (extremist left-wing views, lol) but I'm actually prety annoyed about a black guy playing a norse god, just like I was anoyed about Denzel Washington playing a spanish nobleman in a movieversion of Much Ado About Nothing.
And naturally there were no black men in Spain during Shakespeare's time... :rolleyes:

Actually, Much Ado About Nothing is the only movie I've ever seen Denzel Washington in. I thought he played the part very well. And since the Branagh version was taken out of its proper time period anyway, what difference does it make if a black man portrayed a Spaniard, when there were already lots of black men in Spain?

I was more peeved about the black Vulcan in Voyager. If you want a different colour alien, make him green or purple.
I agree - never thought I'd find another person who would come out and say so, though. It's not a viewpoint that garners much sympathy over at TrekBBS.

"In early 2010 they even used their Captain America comic to attack the TEA Party movement"
Wait. What? Really?
And in the 1960s, Gene Roddenberry used Star Trek to attack a whole trainload of political and societal issues. That's what contemporary literature/performing arts does, no matter what its time period.

Denzel playing Keanu's brother was easily the best part of that movie. The rest of it was forgettable, standard staging of a decent Shakespeare play, but Denzel + Keanu...comic friggin gold man
I just assumed Keanu's character was adopted... :mischief:

Actually, the part of that movie I found the funniest was when the men were trying to convince Benedic (Kenneth Branagh's character) that Beatrice was in love with him. He was eavesdropping, they knew he was (but he didn't know they knew), and his comic schtick with the folding chair makes me giggle through that whole bit every time I watch it.

"Portrayed ?"
I doubt that you could see the guy.
Or did he sound obviously black like Keith David ?
Some black actors have a definite accent that makes them "sound" black. At least that's true for the way I perceive voices.

Even if you don't like it there is no reason to make a big deal about it. Just a comic book movie.

And naturally there were no black men in Spain during Shakespeare's time... :rolleyes:

Actually, Much Ado About Nothing is the only movie I've ever seen Denzel Washington in. I thought he played the part very well. And since the Branagh version was taken out of its proper time period anyway, what difference does it make if a black man portrayed a Spaniard, when there were already lots of black men in Spain?

I just assumed Keanu's character was adopted... :mischief:

A nobleman and brother of a white guy ? I think not. There's just things that don't make sense and I'd be just as annoyed about Keanu playing Othello.

I mus agree with Gabe. Even a racist clock is right twice a day.

I like the self-righteousness in calling anyone with a contrary point a view, a racist!

I'd've put this in humour and jokes if it weren't for the fact that it's sadly real.

http://boycott-thor.com/

They are upset that a guy, who never existed and thus never had a race or a face, is being played by a black guy. Ignoring for a moment that CCC is considered a hate group, is there any reason to be upset over this?

I frankly find that anyone would be upset over a black man playing a Norse deity to be moronic.

The only time skin color should matter in acting is if the theme of the movie revolves around skin color (For instance, in a movie about the Civil War, you can't make a black man the Confederate General simply because that would not have happened.) But in things like this, totally irrelevant.

To be fair Heimdall was white in the comics.

However these people are going overboard.

Idris Elba looks as much like Heimdall as anyone else on Earth. Don't waste your time agreeing with the White Citizens Council.

For instance, in a movie about the Civil War, you can't make a black man the Confederate General simply because that would not have happened.

In all fairness, neither would a Norse God be black. :lol: So your example doesnt really help your point.

I think its silly to hire a black guy to play a norse God just for PC sake, but its equally just as silly to get upset about it.

Both are wrong, and neither of them add up to a right.

I wonder if this means that Marvel Comics is going to hire a white guy to play T'Challa the Black Panther? Or Luke Cage. Or Blade (now that Wesley Snipes is in jail), Bishop, Falcon, etc. etc. etc.

Personally I think minority tokenism is a pathetic attempt by directors to ensure that their films/tv programmes aren't seen as politically incorrect by a public that really doesn't care as much as the media likes to make out.

A Norse God would not be black. Would your average Norse person have ever even seen a black person? I doubt it somehow. It therefore seems a little strange that they'd portray their Gods as being so.

I honestly couldn't care less. Of course, I doubt I will see the movie, but that is beside the point.

Top Bottom