CAMELOT! v.2

Azmorg

Bretwalda
CAMELOT! v.2

Basically, this is the same game as the first CAMELOT! But I'd like to think it has been improved. Much, if not most, has been changed. There are new units, new graphics, new tech trees, new leaderheads, new buildings & wonders, new resources. Yet the overall feel of the original remains; it is still CAMELOT!

There are two victory conditions: Reverse Capture-the-Flag and Diplomacy. Hopefully it imitates the general character and flavor of the Arthurian legends that many of us know and love. The main goal is to work through the tech trees, build the Round Table and then send out your knights to find and return the Holy Grail. The Grail is the flag unit. It it somewhere on the map and is invisible. The knights that are auto-produced by the Round Table can see invisible. If you choose, you can also work to build the Pendragon wonder and see if you can get yourself elected Bretwalda. But for the other kings to think you worthy of being elevated to the high-king position, you must demonstrate your worthiness. They will expect that you would have built many castles and field armies to subdue the land and repel the invading pagan hordes, and to reward their allegiance with gold and gems.

There are four biqs included in the download:
Standard is just that, the one that most will play.
Random is for those who just can't get enough CAMELOT! and want random maps generated.
Locked is a tweak on Standard in which some of the civs are in alliances and at war with others. In this version, Settlers are not buildable but are auto-produced by the Palace.
Pre-Placed is for those who want a little faster start. Each civ has 7 to 9 cities already placed. But there is still a little wiggle room for exploring and settling.

So that's about it. Hope you all enjoy.
Please feel free to post your own screenies.

Click Here to get to the Download forum.

civ3complete_TITLE_bkgrnd.jpg Chalice.jpg science_ancient.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple more images.

untitled1.JPG untitled2.JPG

Definately a surprise! Definately downloading! Definately thanx! :D

Well, I never even had the chance to play the first one and it looked pretty tight. So I definitely have to check this one out now with new version.

Yay! Yay! Yay! I had given up hope that you'd get back to this, Azmorg, but I am thrilled you found the inspiration and time. Now to see the results of your labors...

EDIT:

Hmm, I don't care for the dark, muted new terrain that came with the Random version, so I loaded back in most of the original terrain. Now it looks like the Camelot I loved again.

I started a Random game as Celts, but they have no Warriors at the start? I can only build Workers or Settlers. Oops. The first civ to reach tribalism is said in the civilopedia to receive a free tech. Is this correct? If so, it's very odd, not least because it means all civs will instantly attempt to research this one tech at the start and will all reach it at the same 50th turn.

The starting background graphic looks muted and reduced in resolution now somehow.

The revised tech tree looks much improved. Look forward to playing. I'm going to try as Brits and see if they have Warriors. ;)

Nope, no warriors for the Brits either. This can't be just me here now, can it?

Druid Halls are made obsolete by Code of Laws?

The Bards enables the great wonder Forest House, but it requires Druidic Circle government to build..a tech beyond. Why not make the wonder go with the government tech that it needs?

Almost everything is classified as a luxury resource, and only two remain as merely bonus resources. Looks like this all needs some tidying up.

I like all the speciality farms, Dye House, Loom House, etc. This is a great improvement on the Loom Houses you could build everywhere if you happened to have sheep.

Literature enables Boudicca's Lament, but BL is a war-related wonder.

I like the fix on building walls and that they take stone.

I don't think I'll like that War Tents become obsolete and you have to rebuild them as Barracks one age later.

What is the purpose of a Training Camp that Military Tradition gives? We already got Barracks a bit back which aren't obsolete.

I'm going to look at the non-random game. I have a feeling it's more properly tweaked already. ?

ADDIT: The game as a whole is unable to build warriors, which means no barbarians either, just empty camps free for the raiding.

I am enjoying Camelot! 2 and congrats on the hard work you have obviously put into it.

I am playing Arthur of the Britons, but the game crashes each time I try to produce (by city or uppgrade) a Heavy Spearman unit. I get a File Not Found Error that references: art/units/spearman,briton/.../archer/archvicyell.wav

I tried reloading the scenario from the original rar file, but that did not help. Please, advise what I should do to continue playing this most enjoyable scenario.

Thanks,
William

I am enjoying Camelot! 2 and congrats on the hard work you have obviously put into it.

I am playing Arthur of the Britons, but the game crashes each time I try to produce (by city or uppgrade) a Heavy Spearman unit. I get a File Not Found Error that references: art/units/spearman,briton/.../archer/archvicyell.wav

I tried reloading the scenario from the original rar file, but that did not help. Please, advise what I should do to continue playing this most enjoyable scenario.

Thanks,
William

Unzip the attached folder into the scenario's units folder.

View attachment Archer.zip

I know its a while since anyone posted here - I downloaded this a little while ago and started playing it in earnest this week. What a super game this is!!!

I have just my first Grail Knight and I'm off - not sure how I'm going to find The Holy Grail - or if I can ever get to Scotland. But this is great fun!!

I think it would be great to get an expanded France, Scotland and Vikings running around.... but this is really great.

:cool:

Wow! The last one came out, what, 7 years ago? I remember playing it and having a blast. I hope to check this out when I have time. :)

I was a playing as Arthur (of course), and had had a successful early campaign against the civilisation with the unspellable name beginning with d. I'd made peace with them a couple of turns ago, and there were no resistors in the conquered cities. I'd previously made stonehenge, and so had instant stone circles in the conquered cities. After the turn I conquered them they said +1 culture per turn, but the total wasn't increasing. I tried to look at the civilopedia to see if they were obselete (though that shouldn't affect the culture, and if it did it should change the figure the game gives for it), and the game crashed. I looked (or tried to look) by right clicking on a circle in one of the affected cities. I'll now try reloading the game and accessing the civilopedia through normal methods, but if there's a known fix for this, I'd like to know

EDIT: The game showed me the entry fine when I opened the civilopedia normally, and they aren't obselete (I haven't researched monotheism).

EDIT 2: Whoops, Xenophobic government. Well, that explains the lack of culture, but not the crash.

I can't find the Holy Grail.... I have yet to conquer Ireland, maybe its there... this is a ton of fun... the Locked Alliances are making it tough - as I can't knock them over absorb the those Nations...

I've got to say having Vassals was Civ 4's was a great plus (although I don't think they improved the AI much)... still very disappointed with Civ5 - maybe one day I should go back... but Civ3 is still the best I reckon!!

Sorry for the bump, but the first post says the Holy Grail is invisible and somewhere on the map. I've checked the biq and it isn't. It is however autoproduced every 20 turns by The Great Chalice wonder. Furthermore, that wonder requires The Holy Grail advance, which has Eoganacht as a prerequisite, so only the Eoganacht can build it. Even more weirdly, the wonder doesn't only produce The Holy Grail unit, it also has most of the flags for improvements and wonders checked, making it a ridiculously overpowered super-wonder. Also, there is no way into Scotland at all, it's entirely enclosed by tundra and volcanoes.

The only way I could see The Holy Grail introduced as an invisible unit without running the risk of someone accidentally discovering it early on, would be to have Scotland enclosed by 'impassable by wheeled units' terrain and then making every unit wheeled, except for the Knights of the Round Table.

Top Bottom