[GS] Canada Discussion Thread

This is *literally* the most basic approach they could've taken with Canada. Disappointing. But really not surprising.

I would've much rather they focused on Canada's multi-cultural aspect, on fur trading, etc. But I think Firaxis likes coming up with more amusing stuff, I guess having mounties in the game is a lot more fun than other UU choices, same goes for the hockey rink and UIs. Kind of difficult to pin down where to go with them for a victory (other than diplomatic), I do think the resource bonus could make them really strong if resource shortages are an issue when going to war in Gathering Storm.

As a side note I really like the leader background.

My first (overly-simplistic) thought is that they're snow Scots.

ice hockey rink is too close to golf courses.

There are a few interesting abilities, but there's a very real possibility Canada is the civ I play last.

As another posted said... all Civs are stereotypes. Like, Scotland has golf courses, come on. And Brazil has carnival districts and jungle bonuses. I really don't know what people expected. I prefer a civ with strong in-game identity than some of the blander ones (like America, particularly pre-R&F with their Legacy bonuses I kept forgetting about).

I think it looks fun to play and visually striking, and I love unique improvements so I'm looking forward to trying them out.

The best part about the design is that the diplomatic favours bonus is tied to actively being engaged in emergencies (and competitions - guess we'll learn more about those soon). You need to play the game to get them, and engage with the AI. That part's good. Also extra diplomatic favours for tourism, so there's a reason to go for tourism with Canada even if you're not going for a culture victory. Add this one to the list of "things that should be a base feature not a civ unique".

Some bonus to strategic resources was kind of expected. Interesting that they were called "consumable resources" - wonder if that means other resources besides the current "strategic" resources? Bonus is limited to resources on snow and tundra, so encouraging you to stay polar.

The Hockey Rink UI helps make snow and tundra tiles useable. It's otherwise lame and non-sensical.

The Mountie UU features prominent rifles. These were the guys who famously policed without guns. Bit of a disconnect there for me. Their abilities seem to those of Park Rangers. I wonder if they were a U.S. Park Ranger concept that the dev team wasn't able to fit in, and re-skinned for Mounties instead?

The unique play style aspect is the being unable to declare surprise wars, attack City states, or to have war declared on you. A lot of people (myself included) already avoid declaring war on the AI, so that's not really a change for us. The AI is already too passive, and not having to worry about having a surprise war declared on you makes it even easier to not worry about the AI. I can see this latter aspect appealing to some types of players, though.

Overall, it's pretty much my worst fears about what the dev team might do with Canada. Ignore a long and interesting history with a lot of possible fun game play mechanics, and instead make a snow civ that has hockey rinks and Mounties with non-sensical game play bonuses.

Sad now. :sad:

People complaining about the Civ not being efficient/good enough to properly win with a fast domination victory clearly haven't realized that this Civ (and, on top of that, many other Civs) are NOT designed for fast domination victory. Not every Civ has to excel at fast domination victory - if you don't like it, don't play it. Solves that problem easily. This is clearly a culture/diplomatic civ and are CLEARLY not a "war" civ, so deal with it. There's a different civ for your zerg rush playstyle out there that isn't Canada, I promise you that.

The Mountie UU features prominent rifles. These were the guys who famously policed without guns. Bit of a disconnect there for me. Their abilities seem to those of Park Rangers. I wonder if they were a U.S. Park Ranger concept that the dev team wasn't able to fit in, and re-skinned for Mounties instead?

I'm not sure a squadron of Park Rangers charging into battle with rifles makes any more sense than it does for the Mounties.

Top Bottom