1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Canada Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Powered city icon.

2. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

What's even more baffling is that Canada... doesn't farm tundra. "Last Best West" referred to the settlement of Saskatchewan and southeastern Alberta which consist famously of plains.

3. humble serf

humble serf Chieftain

Tundra bonuses are cool, the surprise war thing is interesting, diplomacy points from tourism is probably gonna be somewhat powerful (cultural and diplomatic victories will probably go hand-in-hand), the Mountie is one of the better "this is a military unit but it isn't really for going to war" UUs...

Not a fan of the hockey rink though. If they subbed out either the hockey rink or the mountie for some kind of fur trade-themed unique (a Hudson's Bay trading post, a coureur des bois, anything like that), I'd be fine with this design.

4. Equilin

Equilin Prince

Diplomatic bonuses is what i expected with Canada, that seems to be their forte anyway. Even the civ5 mod has it.
    Tundra bonus, really? but we already have Russia as a tundra-leaning civ?
    Welp I'm gonna incorporate them into the everyone-civ anyway so thanks for boosting tundra.

5. Jkchart

Jkchart King

I always use national parks. ALWAYS. Even for just era score. You get so much Tourism. Thank you for this point about Persia.

TahamiTsunami and Leathaface like this.
  6. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Any ideas what we are seeing here? Looks kinda Oil refinery/power plant-ish.

Edit: Comparing to another IZ, it could just be Coal Power Plant as well.

nzcamel and TahamiTsunami like this.
  7. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Is that the geothermal station?

Siptah likes this.
  8. Eagle Pursuit

At least the livestream this week will likely cover the WC.

9. Kheznik

Kheznik Warlord

I think I can confidently say that this is definitely the most stereotypical civ we've ever seen. From using Canada's official anthem for its theme (unheard of in Civ VI), to having a stereotypical UU and UI, not to mention the tundra-based ability for the 500 Canadians who actually live in the tundra. Not even gonna touch upon the "peaceful Canada" nonsense.

It's an SNL skit parodying a Tim Hortons commercial from the '80s starring Bob and Doug Mackenzie that somehow found its way into Civ. Honestly surprised the UI isn't an igloo.

That being said I'm not *as* bothered by it, it doesn't look too bad to play, it's just disappointing because, and I'm sure most people here would agree with me, I know Canada could've been so so so much more.

10. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Bildschirmfoto 2018-12-11 um 16.38.45.jpg

What's an Aid Request?

Pythakoreas, oedali, nzcamel and 4 others like this.
  11. Myomoto

Myomoto Warlord

Guessing it's the flood barrier.

12. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

agreed. I'm miffed they are better at national parks than us. We get more tourism, but it seems like they will be absurdly easy to build for Canada.

Tundra has lots of good land for National parks. For some strange reason, Firaxis rates tundra much higher in appeal than desert. Something I take exception to.

13. Eagle Pursuit

I think that is the emergency they showed. Something about Victoria suffering a natural disaster and needing help.

14. IdiotStyle

IdiotStyle Warlord

it's for when you get hit by a disaster, i guess people can send you production or gold

TahamiTsunami, CPWimmer and Siptah like this.
  15. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

Best guess is that it is the option you get when a meanie civ has bullied you in some way, such as converting your capital or taking a city.

edit: also what @IdiotStyle said.

16. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

It's a bit odd though since it has the building icon, how are you supposed to place it? Does it just get placed automatically? Does it go in the Dam district?

Siptah likes this.
  17. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

No, it's after a natural disaster.

CPWimmer likes this.
  18. _hero_

_hero_ King

Their bonuses are too late game focused for them to do well on diety. A farm on tundra is only equal to an unfarmed grassland until crop circles. If the farms also provided +1 hammer it would help. Well at least Canada will get crazy a good St Basil city.

The 100 tourism/1 diplo favor means you won't start benefitting from this until the Industrial age unless they've changed tourism math.

Hockey rinks are solid but only 1 per city means they aren't going to be game changing or super impactful.

Mounties are interesting and being able to build national parks will certainly make for a strong tourism boost, but again this is a late game bonus.

No surprise wars/no CS wars is a double edged sword. Something like gaining envoys with CS when they are attacked or gaining diplo favor for defending/liberating CS would make sense as an addition here.

I guess if for some reason you want to play on industrial or later start, or on a cold climate map they can be strong, but on standard settings on a hard difficulty, you're going to struggle.

19. Eagle Pursuit

Probably in the city center.

conorbebe likes this.
  20. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Definetly looks like a south indian temple, god knows we spent enough hours staring at them to figure out what the Great Bath was.