Canadian and US Amalgamation

Mexico would be such an economic drain ont he US that it would kill us; besides the cultural similarites between the US and Canada are much larger than the similarities between Mexico and the US

We have more in common with the Mexicans than with what has become Canada, look into it some time.

Bronx Warlord said:
We have more in common with the Mexicans than with what has become Canada, look into it some time.

Okay let's see.

US and Canada- British colonial Rule.
Mexico- Spanish.

US and Canada- English *other than Quebec, I know*
Mexico- Spanish

US and Canada- First World
Mexico- Third World

US and Canada- White, Protestant
Mexico- Hispanic, Catholic

And the list goes on

Intresting, they were until the mid 1800's unlike us... also Mexico threw off there shackles way before as well.

There are more Spanish speaking Americans then there are Canadians as a whole.

Mexico- Third World

Two hundred years of mismanagement will do that, you do know they are sitting atop of a huge reserve of oil, silver and gold along with diamonds and such?

Canada- White, Protestant

Mabey fifty years ago, but not anymore. Love that Muslim law they enforce apon Muslim women in Ontario btw, classy and humane.

I'd still take ten years of ruff times with the Mexicans over the Canadians anyday.

Pasi Nurminen said:
Yes, what with all that federal bribe money pumped into Quebec whilst leaving other provinces out to cold with far less than their fair share....such second class citizens you are! But hey, only the majority of Quebec disagrees with you, otherwise you wouldn't still be in Canada.

I never saw British Columbians, Manitobans, or Nova Scotians bombing cities and killing government officials. Maybe before you start wailing about Quebec identity remember that Quebecers have resorted to terrorism in the past.

(...) Quebec is given a disproportionately large voice within Canada. Quebec isn't even a nationality, and has never been a nation. They were a colony of France, then England, and now are a part of a democracy.
:rolleyes:
Yeah, EVERYONE was part of the FLQ and EVERYONE was involved Pierre Laporte's assassination (instead of a small faction of the FLQ).
Oh, and bombing cities? Please.

Québec's identity, a disctinct one from Canada is a fact, not wishfull thinking on my part. Denial of this identity on your part is simply ignorant.

Would you argue that Belgium and Greece are similar because they gained inependence during the same time period? No

And besides, any comparisons between the US and Mexico comes from the fact that we took their land; something we have done but once in a very minor way with Canada (regarding N. Maine)

I think Canadian - Minnesotan amalgamation would happen much sooner than US - Canadian amalgamation and not in the US's favor. But still, even that won't happen. Canada is a different nation with a different culture and history than the US, give up on it, there isn't even a chance.

Love that Muslim law they enforce apon Muslim women in Ontario btw, classy and humane.
Please note that sharia isn't actually enforced on Muslim women, or on anyone else for that matter. There was one ruling to the effect that it's legal for communities to establish their own arbitration courts, including in the sharia tradition, meaning that Muslims who do not wish to have cases heard there do not have to. Muslim women are no different under the law from anyone else, and there are no special laws that apply to them.
That being said, there is some concern that women, especially older women, might be coerced by their families into settling in sharia court without recourse to the standard system. However, that is not the state's intent, and there is still healthy debate over how such a system should be implemented.

Taliesin if it's so great than why do the majority of muslim women oppose it?

Look into some of the things that law advocates, you'll see why.

And besides, any comparisons between the US and Mexico comes from the fact that we took their land; something we have done but once in a very minor way with Canada

This is one of the weaker arguements I've heard yet. First of all the transfer of land in Mexico was agreeded to by both goverments after a war... if the Mexicans had won it would still be theres no? And that whole war had to do with the, at the time, free nation of Texas and our relationship with them.

As for northern maine, that was a border dispute with GB, and northern main was agreeded to to avoid war. They pretty much handed it over.

Let's cover the whole west while we are at it, since american history is not your strong point.

That has to do with the 49th and an agreement between the US and GB, since at the time we both had claims on Canada and the northwestern US wich consisted of little more than scattered tradeing posts and indian nations.

Taliesin if it's so great than why do the majority of muslim women oppose it?

Look into some of the things that law advocates, you'll see why.
That's beside the point, since people who don't want to settle in sharia court don't have to. Additionally, all Canadians are protected by the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, including people who opt to use a sharia tribunal, and any ruling by this court would be subject to the same rules as one in the standard court system. In other words, the sharia court can't sentence people to stoning or unfairly try women: if rights are violated, higher courts will protect the victim just as they would any person.
So, in order for a tribunal's ruling to carry weight, all parties must agree to its authority and that the case was fair according to Canada's standards.

Pasi Nurminen said:
Quebec isn't even a nationality, and has never been a nation. They were a colony of France, then England, and now are a part of a democracy.

I feel that I need ot tell you that Canada, not Québec, was a French colony. The Province of Quebec was created after the conquest by Great-Britain. Canadian was originally a term to define French-speaking people living in New-France before the British conquest. As for Québec not been a nation, how do you define a nation, first?

Marla_Singer said:
But there are 8 million French speaking Quebecois who aren't interested at all in an union with the US where they would be even more meaningless.

Actually, it's true that economically speaking Canada and the US make only one already. However, it seems that political agendas are diverging more and more between both countries. It doesn't seem the majority of Canadians are fond of the Republican party.

EDIT : Oops ! two people answered already. I needed so much time to write those 6 lines ???

Being a french-canadien, I approve that!

As for the 2 country having similar governments, I got news for you pal.
If a union would occur, one of the 2 countries would have to go through major changes, and I dont think that either one is willing to do it. I would never live in a land where you have to pay 20000$ for an average surgery, where the minimum salary is..... I dont know how much exactly but its pretty low, and I would NEVER want to bear the responsability of the foreign policies of US's government.

As for the culture, I dont know about english Canada, but in Qubec it is night and day, as I have lived both in Montreal and in the US.

BloodyPepperoni said:
I feel that I need ot tell you that Canada, not Québec, was a French colony. The Province of Quebec was created after the conquest by Great-Britain. Canadian was originally a term to define French-speaking people living in New-France before the British conquest. As for Québec not been a nation, how do you define a nation, first?

We ARE a nation, but not a country.......... yet............. :mischief:

NeoDemocrat said:
Okay let's see.

Mexico- Spanish.

Mexico- Spanish

Mexico- Third World

Mexico- Hispanic, Catholic

And the list goes on

Quebec- French colonial.

US and Canada- English
Quebec- French

Quebec- give you that one...

Quebec- White, Catholic

And the list goes on.....

But yet we are in the same country..... I mean, Quebec is to Canada what Mexico is to the US....

just thought it was fun :)

Marla_Singer said:
But there are 8 million French speaking Quebecois who aren't interested at all in an union with the US where they would be even more meaningless.

There sure as heck are not. The number you are looking for is 6.5 million.

There are 8 million French speakers in Canada, but not necessarily Quebecois ;)

Anyways, I share the sentiment that I would rather wallow in some sort of animal refuse before joining with the states.

Quebec- White, Catholic
I missed this before, when it was originally posted. Canada is actually more Catholic than Protestant.

NeoDemocrat said:
And besides, any comparisons between the US and Mexico comes from the fact that we took their land; something we have done but once in a very minor way with Canada (regarding N. Maine)
And what makes you think that land was Canadas? Do you have proof of the matter, I think it was all American and the British (treaty signed early in 1800's) took our land.

Top Bottom